Projects Nichrome & Large Foam Blocks???

Tony

Staff member
Alright everyone, I'm looking for more projects. I know, I know, I have enough on my plate, but I think this will be fun.

I need to know what nichrome is best. Nichrome A or Nichrome C. A has a higher temp rating (like 2100ºF) and has a higher tensile strength and lower ohm per foot, but C is a bit cheaper. I'm really thinking about getting both just to test it out.

my next question is what size? I'm thinking 28AWG, but wondering if 22AWG would last longer and not be as prone to snap. Your thoughts?

Also, where can I get large foam blocks? I'm talking a foot thick. I would like to get some that is 4'x8'x1'.

Let me know where I can get all of this and what is best on the other questions. Thanks for your help.

murankar

Staff member
Looks like someone wants a hot wire cutter. I would like to see you build the flitetest viggen. That thing is sweet as hell. Huge 70mm edf in the fuse with elevons.

Will require a lot of prep to pull off. In the end you'll be amazed.

Tony

Staff member
I will not build anything that flitetest has done. I have my reasons that I will keep to my self.

But yes, I will be building a hot wire cutter. But it will not be just any normal hot wire cutter. I can't do anything "normal" hehe.

murankar

Staff member
The viggen was done by the Swedish guy. He did the plans for it.

So are we looking at a large wing?

Sorry if I hit a nerve on that one. I had no idea.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I can't say what we are looking at lol. I have about 15 different things in my head that I want to make, I just have to narrow it down. I will get there though. I hope.

Dude make a mosquito!! hehe
Sorry that's one I want to build down the track...
Or could build a nice big flying wing for something different.
Man I'm keen to hear how you build your hot wire cutter!

Stambo

I am thinking about a round disk foam multirotor with lights all around it so I can really get the UFO reports going around here. :)

wolfman76

I have the Sig .016guage write on the cutter i just built and i ordered a 100ft roll of 34guage write and it is pretty thin i think i am going to order a roll of 22 gauge i think that will be not to thick but not to thin

wolfman76

Ok i am home now so aa reference here is the wire i just got

ForumRunner_20130903_153501.png

Don't know if you can see this but here is the thickness @ 34gauge

ForumRunner_20130903_153620.png

Hope this helps Tony personally had i known it was this thin i would have got the 22gauge wire 6 bucks of Ebay with free shipping on pretty much any thickness..

ForumRunner_20130903_153501.png

ForumRunner_20130903_153620.png

Tony

Staff member
I may just order a little of each. I know for long parts, I'm going to need the 22ga just because of the tension I'm going to have to put on it. But I'm thinking mostly 28ga for most stuff.

Anyone know where I can get large foam blocks?

Top Bottom