Spektrum Newbie Question

acestu

Hi,

I am new to RC modelling and have just bought a DX8 Transmitter ready for the quadcopter that I am going to build, I have unpacked the box to have a look at what's in there and I see the receiver AR8000 and the Telemetry unit but what is the satellite unit used for ? . I have had a look in the manual but there are no diagrams that show how the parts are wired together...any info appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Acestu

acestu

Hey buddy! You are gonna love the DX8 transmitter. Several people on the forum have it, including myself, and we all really like it.

In regard to the satellite receiver...take a look at this link here:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM9645

Basically, the Spektrum satellite receiver will plug into any Spektrum main receiver, then giving you two functional receivers.

Hi Mountain,

Thanks for the reply, I looked at the link but it is all gobledygook to me "Remote Receivers", When I used to be into RC years ago it was a transmitter, receiver and servos, but now this DX8 machine launches nuclear missiles .... when you say that it gives you 2 functional receivers do you mean it doubles the channels to 16 ?

Thanks again
Acestu

Dirk

Things have changed over the years, trust me! The remote receiver (The small one ) only gives you redundancy. Call it a "back-up" unit if you will. It does not double you channels.

You will love the DX8. I am still in awe as to what it can do. Still makes my coffee a little weak though. I am sure it can change a setting somewhere. LOL

Derek

I wish it doubled the channels to 16...that would be awesome! Unfortunately, no. The satellite rx gives you some added "insurance" that the signal from the DX8 will be received. You still have the same number of channels, that being 8, but you have two receivers that are listening for the signals from the DX8. I hope this helps.

There are several other people on rc-help that will probably be able to give you a more "technical" answer.

acestu

Hey Dirk,

Thanks for the reply, I think I know what you mean, so say your radio fails the sat takes over sort of thing ?

Everybody was saying how good the DX8 was so I bought one, and now I have all I find on the internet is peple slagging them off, but it is early days, bought a heli and wreked it first time lol, got a plane and yes wreked it first flight lol, so I am going to try a quadcopter with an autopilot in it... all i want to do is take some awesome aeriel photos and vids....

cheers
Acestu

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mountain,

Yes that is a lot clearer, does the DX8 work with other makes of receiver that have a satellite receiver, and is this what is meant by Remote Receivers ?

thanks
Acestu

Derek

Again...unfortunately no. If your main receiver fails, the satellite receiver will also fail. I'm finding it difficult to find the words to try to explain this, lol. I'm sure another member will be able to clear this up for you. However...yes..the DX8 is an awesome tx and you will be very happy with it.

In regard to your question: "does the DX8 work with other makes of receiver that have a satellite receiver?" The DX8 will work with any rx that says DSM2 or DSMX on it? All Spektrum rx's will work and the OrangeRx receivers, from Hobby King, will also work with the DX8 because the OrangeRx brand is DSM2/DSMX compatible.

Also....a "Remote Receiver" means satellite receiver.

acestu

Hi Mountain,

Its all starting to become clear now, however somebody has just said to me don't leave the battery on charge all night or it will blow your house up,

should I be worried LOL....

cheers
Acestu

Westy

LEGEND
Hi and Welcome......

Basically the Sat.... gives your radio an increased saturation of the signal .... ( For lack of a better word) .... to lessen the chances of brown out (Signal loss). If you can imagine a transmitting tower sending out a large cone signal from its antenna, ... the RX is doing the same...... from which ever direction the Wire is pointing ..... the Sat ....

gets mounted with the aerials (2 of them) at a perpendicular angle to your RX antenna wire..... so if your RX wire is pointing up (vertically) .... your Sat wires should point horizontally (Across)

This give a nice cross hatch of signals and thus theoretically "Saturates and Permeates" the airwave with the signal your TX picks up.

Hope that has not made it more confusing for you .... but other than doing a video, above was the easiest way to paint a picture for you.

Cheers

Karubah

Yes DO NOT Leave on charge overnight. The ni cad battery can overheat and fry your TX. Keep an eye on it and if it starts to get warm, turn it off. As for the remote receiver it connects to your AR8000 and is to help stop brown out. Carbon can stop signal in certain conditions so by placing the sat in a different position and orientation on your machine it will help stop loss of signal between your TX and RX. Hope this helps a little bit and welcome to the world of RC.

Westy put this a lot better than I did he posted while I pecking this out.

Last edited:

acestu

Hi Karubah,

Thanks for the info, I will sleep better tonight without that battery on charge LOL....

cheers
Acestu

Westy

LEGEND
no PRobs .... keep em comin! That is what we are here for ! helping and learning .... Even I need help here and there ..... lol.All part of the learning curve!

you got a sim? that would be the best investment/insurance policy you can get to mitigate crashes etc!

Hi Westy,

Thanks for that, you explained a hell of a lot in a few words there.....

cheers
Acestu

wolfman76

only the nimh pack that comes with the dx8 over charge over heat and possibly warp the battery compartment of the tx also along with if kept charging all night long being even more unsafe.. this is a goo solution i bought this one for my dx8 lipo pack from hobbyking only the lipo packs in the dx8 have the auto shut off feature check this link out plus it has the added advantage of have a way longer power life before needing to charge again Turnigy 4000mAh Spektrum DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack. hope this helps you out and adds some peace of mind and also more flight time... lol hey and it is less then 20 dollars to boot you will need to remove some of the foam padding in the battery compartment to get it to fit but it is a tight fit after you do anyways though does not flop around..

Last edited:

Derek

Cool! I'm glad that someone was able to get here and explain how the satellite rx works. I was trying but I couldn't think of the right words, lol.

Top Bottom