Batteries Newbie Lipo Questions

Smoggie

It was you constantly saying for others to "prove it with evidence" that brought the point I was trying to make out. At some point you must show others respect for their ideas if you expect the same in return. To me constantly asking for that proof meant you didn't show the respect to the other peoples opinions when you also were unable to provide any proof yourself.

I guess we need to agree to differ on that point. Like I said in the last post it's an accepted principle that the responsibility to provide proof sits with the person who comes up with the theory. This is accepted without question in law ('innocent until proven guilty') but for some reason people struggle with the same concept when applied to science or other aspects of life..

The 'Russel's Teapot' analogy sums it up. The philosopher Bertrand Russell in attempting to illustrate the fallacy of switching the burden of proof to 'disproof' wrote:
“If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense.

BTW.. I'm also not offended by any of this, and of course I respect the right of anyone to have an opinion, just as it's my right to be sceptical if they cant offer any proof to support it.

PS.. sorry for taking the thread further off topic and into philosophical discussion!

Last edited:

Eggy 71

I've been charging on the balanced setting. I've also been tracking the internal resistance in the batteries. The higher the resistance the less charge. I'm of the believe that the cells should be as close to the same as possible to share the load evenly and be more efficient. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure of the internal differences in the charger but I'm on the impression on balanced as you approach full charge it turns into a slower trickle to allow the full charged cell to slowly top up the undercharged one and eventually bring them to the same level. It's a longer process but a better outcome.

mooserider

Just a comment, I like the reference Smoggie. I use that same argument a lot (burden of proof), but for a differet subject. I like Carl Sagan's invisible dragon in the garage too.

murankar

Staff member
Hey you guys, I just went out and flew my biplane again tonight. The little 2 cells that go in are starting to get noticeably 'weaker'. I'm wondering still, should I be charging these on 'lipo balance' instead of 'lipo charge'? Or do you think they're just naturally losing full potential? I've probably used each of these little batteries like 30 times now. Also curious for the rest of my batteries... the larger ones for the car and heli. Sorry to ask again, just not sure.

Thanks!

I personally charge mine on balance. That's just what I do. Rarely do I just charge. My only reason for it is so that I don't over discharge a cell.

murankar

Staff member
I didn't actually say that it wasn't true. What i said was there is no evidence to support it, and in my own experience over the years i've not observed it. I agree, I cant 'prove' it doesnt work. But there again i cant prove that throwing salt over your shoulder to bring good luck is nonsense, or any other superstition isnt true.

It's a accepted principle of science and law that the person who comes up with a theory or claim or accusation has the burden of proof to support it. The burden does not fall on others to prove the propsition wrong: The reversed responsibility response – switching the burden of proof | Science or not?

End of the day it really doesnt matter. if you think that 'break-in' is a good idea do it, they are your batteries.

Currently I am not really in the mood to argue of this trivial thing. If you want the data that I can see ask Justin Pucci of RCHN for access. It's a google doc that's available upon request. All is what i read and hear. I am not a scientist, a battery maker, or anything fancy.

If I could potentially improve the packs by breaking in I will. Unless one prove that it doesn't work then I will stop do it. At this point we are picking hairs out of crap.

All one needs to know about the advertised c-rating is that it's not accurate. All one needs to know about this is that anything in the 35c range is going to be more than enough.

Top Bottom