General Newbie from NJ

tojothedog

hello all -
(cut n paste time)
I just joined...
after reading about a hundred web articles on RTF airplanes...
its time for me to take the plunge and buy one...
Question, can anyone recommend a good beginner plane ?
are 3 or perhaps a 4 channel beginner planes a good start ?
I am probably looking to drop $175ish....
so any advise is appreciated ....
as of now
I am totally over whelmed on the you tube vids and articles on planes
although high wing is suggested...
My thanks !!!
Al

Derek

We have no problem with cut and paste, lol. I see that you are in New Jersey, so finding a dealer to purchase a plane from should be no troubles at all.

There are many 4 channel planes, suitable for beginners, that you can look at. The first one that I'd like you to take a look at is a style of plane that I wished I would have started with. It's not a high wing trainer but very very suitable for beginners. There are a couple names that I can think of. "The Bixler 2", and the "AXN. Whats nice about these planes is that they are durable, easy to fly, and they are a mid wing pusher. That means that the motor and prop are actually near the middle of the plane, on top, and the prop will push the plane through the air. Why would I think this is a benefit? Simple, this layout gets the motor and prop out of the way when you crash...and you will crash. We all do! I remember my first several planes that I crashed were all nose in crashes, therefore I was breaking props and bending motor shafts. Very frustrating!!!

Here is a link to the Bixler 2:

Hobbyking Bixler 2 EPO 1500mm Ready to Fly w/Optional Flaps - Mode 2 (RTF )

Here is a link to the AXN:

AXN Floater-Jet w/ Servo, Motor, ESC (EPO) PNF

The Bixler 2 comes as a RTF. That means Ready to Fly. The AXN comes as a PNF. That's Plug and Fly..meaning you need your own transmitter, receiver, and batter.

Both of these planes are at hobby-king.com There are many people that don't like Hobby King, but they've been good to me. If you want to look else where, there is also Nitroplanes.com Nitro Model R/C Planes RC Airplane Electric Brushless Nitro Gas Jet Aircraft Helicopter.

Here is a link to Nitro Planes that has many 4 channel, Ready to Fly, airplanes:

4 Channels RTF

That Airwing RC WingSurfer Airplane Glider is along the same style of plane that I was talking about above but there are other styles to choose from.

Another great thing about the style of plane that I was talking about above, when you crash (and remember, you will crash. We all do), most of the damage will be in the nose of the plane. If it gets bent or broke, you can usually fix the damage with a bit of hot glue. Simple!

So...just take your time...browse around. Do some Google searches for 4 channel RTF rc airplanes and see what comes up. You might just find something that catches your eye. If you are looking to spend a max of 175, I think you'll be able to find a decent enough plane, for sure. If you need further help, just post your questions. I'm sure there will be others from the forum that will post after me.

Good luck!!!

Top Bottom