New To The Rc Hobby! (intruduction Of Quangzu)

Quangzu

A lot of thanks to all the "RC-Help Pilots for" the warm welcome you give to me! It for sure feels good for a Noob.

@ Capn Pete: the V911 and 912 are the Helis that brought me off the ground and I have had a lot of fun outside in wind with the 911 and made the most spectacular crashes :) but it always survived, only minor surgery needed :) Learn sometimes hurt, hehe!
Refer to Tonys comment regarding the V977, they are probably constructed in the way that the maingear should "get off" at a chrash to save more vital parts.
I have lost a couple of them trying to fly mine outside at a very limeted open area, in wind and crashed. But I am not an experienced CP pilot. Now I have decided to only use it inside for CP hover traing in my living room, carefully watching so I not crash into my TV set, that cuold be expensive :)

I have now received my first plane (J3 Cub), bought second hand but unused. I have never tried a RC plane.
It is probably the most cheap construction you can find altough the fusalage seems okay, but of course I see a need of
reinforcements, and that is the most important thing to me, the rest I will handle in some way and it gives me more experience to planes and their construction.
The guy I bought it from have had it in his basement for around 2 years and who knows when it was produced! I have all the time understood that this will not be a "RTF" plane and I am happy with that since I want to know how things are built up and working before I use them. Not surprisingly, the original brushed motor not deliverd any power, might be the motor or "unbranded" ESC that fails but it does not matter since my plan anyway is to make it brushless. Until I know what motorsize and ESC will be suitable and how I should fit it in I will use a "left over" brushless ESC and motor from my " do not make this at home" project (heli). Maybe, I will talk more abot that project another time :)

I guess the the thread Introduction of new member is not the right place to talk about your projects, and I am a bit lazy to read the forum rules, I would appricate all advices how I should behave to be a "correct" acting member.

To all of you RC Help pilots.

Take care out there and have a Safe Flight!

Capn Pete

Cool beans. Like the cub. Would like to do that too, some day. After the first of the year, if all goes according to plan, I won't be working 6 days/week. I hope to have more time (and energy) to dev0te to hobbies. Doing a build of some kine would be nice.

Still working on building up to a CP heli. Have thought about getting another smaller CP. I think the 977 i got was a lemon. I mean, I stripped 2 main gears with out even trying. I have had much worse 'crashes' with the Master CP and it's still in good shape. The FP's are great fun and so easy, but want to do some real flying. Still trying to decide the direction I should venture off in. A plan as it were. But it's all about the fun flying, isn't it?

Good luck with the Cub. Keep us posted on how you do. Looks like fun!

Quangzu

Dear All RC people!

I like RC-Help but are not convinced that it is worth contribute monthly with $5! I have done a "one timer" donation that would cover 10 months.
Can you convince me, give arguments why I should pay a monthly fee, what is the "payback" for me? Spendings are supposed to give payback, that is how I think.
Having fun is also a way of payback :)

I am right now rebuilding/modyfy a J3 Cub (my first plane ever). It is a challange but also a lot of fun.
I am not sure where on the site I can share it with other members or just ask to get comments on my ideas on my project.

"Should I stay or should I go"

Brgrds

Q

Tony

Staff member
The J3 would go into the airplane section. Since it is a project, you can use the Project prefix, you could use the Prop prefix or you could put it under General if you would like.

As for contributing to RCH, it is strictly voluntary. By subscribing to be an RCH Supporter, at this time, it gets rid of all of the ads which even to me are annoying, but help pay for the site. We also have a section that is out of public view where you can post about anything. I have been trying to get the others to offer up some other perks, but everyone that has subscribed so far has said they just like helping out the site. And to everyone that has supported RCH, now or in the past, it is greatly appreciated. The site doesn't make much money at all and the supporters are what keep this site running.

If it wasn't for the members of this site helping out, we would not be here. Plain and simple.

Quangzu

Got it Tony and definately understand that the members "carry" the site both regarding sharing info/learningsn and economics.
You have already helped me out in my strategy regarding the J3 build.

Any comments from members that contribute monthly (or per period)?
I just want to be sure that I have joined a "serious" site, that not only want to earn money on unexperienced Noobs like myself.

Q

sneezy007

I've been in this hobby for over 4 years and Tony has done an amazing job with this site. He never hesitates to offer help no matter how simple or complicated the question may be. Tony has the only full set up video I've ever seen for a helicopter. There are many members on this site that have years of experience and also are very helpful. I've found other sites that often will put down or embarrass noobs for the questions they ask. These guys forget they had to start somewhere. This site is like a family and we all support each other. I'm proud to be a supporter.
Dino

Quangzu

Dear Dino,
You confirm the "feeling" I got from this site, thanks!
Also I agree that some sites you visit like to look down on Noobs like myself..
I am happy to be a member of RCH and will concider to contribute monthly.

@ Tony, of courrse I have seen some of your videos and they have been useful to me in my ambition to, a bit late in life, learn and enjoy this Hobby.

Thanks!

/Q

sneezy007

It's never too late to learn to fly Quangzu. Take your time, enjoy the journey and of course ask us if you need help.

Cheers,
Dino

Quangzu

Dino, I really hope I can trust you Regarding "never too late"
The mechanical part I got quite a good grip of but flying is a bit harder to get to function as supposed.
I have now started to practice about an hour per Day on my SIM to get "stick feeling" for both plane and heli.
Hope it will help the "old Noob" to get safe airborne

/Q

Tony

Staff member
We have had members in their 90's here on this site. So yes, he is correct, it is never too late. And we are here to try to help you learn how to do it. Sim time is the best possible thing you can do to get "Muscle Memory" into your hands. We had one fella on here, I can't remember exactly what disease he had, but he was using the very complicated task of flying Rc Helicopters to try and help keep him from literally losing his mind. It made his mind work harder at a task in hopes that it could retard the progression of the disease he had. And I use the term "Had" loosely as I'm not sure where he went or if something happened. I need to find his website again and see how he is going.

Quangzu

Thanks Tony for giving me hope to sucess
I can see the potentional in RC Regarding mental and physical training and challanges as well as the fun.

/Q

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi all RC interested people!

I am a Swedish guy getting close to be a "Senior Citizen" and my name is Jonas.
I have always been interested in "tech" things and have spent a lot of time in my life building real motorbikes, cars, boats, computers etc but now I feel it is time for something else that better suit my new life, soon retierderd :)
Most by accident I bought a small toy coax heli in March this year (2017) shoping things for some rebuilding at home, That was enough to get me "hooked" !
Since then I have upgraded my flying to fixed pitch helis but, the way I am, started to build collective pitch helis in July. I belive that if you understand how it is built and setup it also makes the learning curve to fly shorter. Build, modify and test is the challange i like most. But, I am still "useless" as a pilot on CP helis :). Althoug I guess it is just as everything, need a lot of traing!

I have used my first six monht in the hobby to learn basics but now I feel it is time to join a forum and discuss with other people having the same interest. Hopefully I can contribute with some experience but I am sure you all will contribute with valuable things to a "noob"

On request I have attached a photo of my "fleet" I know, it looks like a lot for a person that only have been in the hobby for six months but I try to buy everything second hand and then repair and modyify. Of course, some items has been bought from China, like the XFX frames.

Guys and girls, I will not bore you further with my history , guess you got enough now :)

Looking forward to your valuable inputs in any matter and hope the "Newbee" can contribute with something.

Have a safe flight!

Brgrds

Jonas

PS
I have a J3 Cub on the way in, bought it second hand, could not resist and I have a second hand Neuron flight controller I will try to get to work with the plane! Another nice challange :)

DS
Hi Jonas, my name is Jim and I'm 69 years young and I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia. I'm about two miles from Oceana Naval Air Station and see daily jets and helicopters fly over my home. I'm not new to model aircraft, but new to RC helicopters ( 4 years). The folks on this site (RC-Help.com) are awesome with many years experience. They have been a big help and I greatly appreciate it. I have two helicopters: Align Trex250 with a F3C fuselage and a Blade 300 that's in a CH53 body. Looking at buying another helicopter kit soon and build it over the winter. I'm using a Spektrum 6 channel radio and it's user friendly. Welcome friend and best regards, Jim

sneezy007

Dino, I really hope I can trust you Regarding "never too late"
The mechanical part I got quite a good grip of but flying is a bit harder to get to function as supposed.
I have now started to practice about an hour per Day on my SIM to get "stick feeling" for both plane and heli.
Hope it will help the "old Noob" to get safe airborne

/Q

It really is never too late to start. RC is one of the best hobbies I can think of for your mind and dexterity. There is so much to learn and so many different directions you can go. It truly is a lifetime hobby. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 56 and never have been involved in RC until just recently. As Tony mentioned the simulator is really good for muscle memory and for learning orientations. Having said that, the pucker factor is not there when you are flying your model. My heart starts beating really fast and I get sweaty palms just before I lift off with my helicopter. There really is not a substitute for actual flying. All the best in your RC journey, always ask questions and remember there are no stupid questions.

Admiral

Hi Quangzu, I'll agree that it's never too late. I'm 68 and have been flying model aircraft off & on since I was 10, however when I came back into it this time it was with the advent of LiPo batteries & electric helicopters. It took me 12 months to learn fly a CP helicopter, along the way I had a lot of fun with Co-axial & FP helicopters and a lot of SIM time. What held me back ? I was trying to learn with the wrong helicopters, I went to small the blade SR & the twister Gold were not good CP helicopters especially for a beginner, they were too twitchy. Once I went on to 450 class and above things really started to happen and then the introduction of FBL was the cream on the cake, and to be honest the social side of it is also great some days we chat as much as we fly, well almost.

Stick with it and if possible join a club or join up with other like minded people in your area they add access to expertise and social interaction.

Top Bottom