New To The Rc Hobby! (intruduction Of Quangzu)

Quangzu

Hi all RC interested people!

I am a Swedish guy getting close to be a "Senior Citizen" and my name is Jonas.
I have always been interested in "tech" things and have spent a lot of time in my life building real motorbikes, cars, boats, computers etc but now I feel it is time for something else that better suit my new life, soon retierderd :)
Most by accident I bought a small toy coax heli in March this year (2017) shoping things for some rebuilding at home, That was enough to get me "hooked" !
Since then I have upgraded my flying to fixed pitch helis but, the way I am, started to build collective pitch helis in July. I belive that if you understand how it is built and setup it also makes the learning curve to fly shorter. Build, modify and test is the challange i like most. But, I am still "useless" as a pilot on CP helis :). Althoug I guess it is just as everything, need a lot of traing!

I have used my first six monht in the hobby to learn basics but now I feel it is time to join a forum and discuss with other people having the same interest. Hopefully I can contribute with some experience but I am sure you all will contribute with valuable things to a "noob"

On request I have attached a photo of my "fleet" I know, it looks like a lot for a person that only have been in the hobby for six months but I try to buy everything second hand and then repair and modyify. Of course, some items has been bought from China, like the XFX frames.

Guys and girls, I will not bore you further with my history , guess you got enough now :)

Looking forward to your valuable inputs in any matter and hope the "Newbee" can contribute with something.

Have a safe flight!

Brgrds

Jonas

PS
I have a J3 Cub on the way in, bought it second hand, could not resist and I have a second hand Neuron flight controller I will try to get to work with the plane! Another nice challange :)

DS

Attachments

• Q fleet.jpg
    Q fleet.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 8

Tony

Staff member
Hey Jonas, welcome to RCH! You have a really nice collection there, except for that 4 legged thing in the background... haha, kidding.

You say you are struggling with the CP helicopters, no worries, we all struggled with those things. They are hands down the hardest things to fly in this hobby. It just takes time to learn exactly how they are going to react, how to correct and how to anticipate what they are going to do next. Muscle Memory, that is the key. The more you get out there and fly, the better you will become.

:welcome1:

Quangzu

Hey Jonas, welcome to RCH! You have a really nice collection there, except for that 4 legged thing in the background... haha, kidding.

You say you are struggling with the CP helicopters, no worries, we all struggled with those things. They are hands down the hardest things to fly in this hobby. It just takes time to learn exactly how they are going to react, how to correct and how to anticipate what they are going to do next. Muscle Memory, that is the key. The more you get out there and fly, the better you will become.

:welcome1:
:) I got the "4 legged" almost for free buying a Turnigy 9x with Corona TX module and RX and Aurdu system. Acitally I have never put it on the air but some day I will.
Helis is my priority and I WILL never give up, I am a very stuburn old man :)
Stuburn will learn me CP flying!

Thanks Tony for your kind words and for sure you will see (hear) more from me here!

Brgrds
Jonas

Tony

Staff member
lol, it's no worries. I'm about to dust off some of the quads that I have and do some FPV flying. People here on the site have been flying making me want to get back out there and do some flying, FPV style lol.

Quangzu

lol, it's no worries. I'm about to dust off some of the quads that I have and do some FPV flying. People here on the site have been flyingemaking me want to get back out there and do some flying, FPV style lol.
:) Nice! Altough helis will be my priority but I love everything in the air, also birds but a bird strike can be costful (for a commercial airline). I just care about the bird :).
But, as said in my introduction a J3 cub is on the way in and I will add Neuron stab and skies to it flying in the Swedish winter.
Have a lake 300 m from home (freeze qiuck) giving me the perfect area for "Skie flights"

Jonas

Tony

Staff member
I have thought about building a J3 Cub from a kit. Just never got around to actually ordering it lol.

Quangzu

I have thought about building a J3 Cub from a kit. Just never got around to actually ordering it lol.
This is an EPO kit and I bought it from a Swedish guy that not have time to put it togheter since he have small kids etc. meaning never used.
It is electric equiped (would prefered "fuel") but I can probably modyfie, that is what I am good at :). For now I will keep ity electric and test the Neuron.
I will post pics when it arrives, beginning of next week.

/Jonas

Tony

Staff member
If it is EPO, you don't want to convert this one to nitro. It will destroy the foam. But I agree, nitro planes are fun lol.

Quangzu

If it is EPO, you don't want to convert this one to nitro. It will destroy the foam. But I agree, nitro planes are fun lol.
Hmm... there you definitaly got a point...foam and nitro probably not match well, due to heat, oil and strength even though I belive strength can be solved
You see, this is one reason to join a forum and discuss with experienced people :)

Thanks!

Jonas

Tony

Staff member
Not only those points, but I'm not sure what Methanol and Nitro Methane will do to the foam. Gasoline will completely dissolve foam turning it into Napalm, very nasty stuff that burns forever lmao.

Quangzu

Not only those points, but I'm not sure what Methanol and Nitro Methane will do to the foam. Gasoline will completely dissolve foam turning it into Napalm, very nasty stuff that burns forever lmao.
Tony, you are 100% right!
This one I will keep electric,, thanks for "open" my mind.
I am a bit lazy to build a balsa version right now but "who knows" what future will bring:)
Altough the EPO kit will be fun with skies on the lake. I will also upgrade one of CP helis with a kind of "snow" landing gear.
The frozen lake gives a lot of free space to practice on, perfect but cold.
Our summer is short so you need to be innovative to get fly time.

Thanks!

Jonas

Tony

Staff member
Building balsa is not that bad. I struggle with the coatings more than the building. Get some Medium CA and you will be golden.

Quangzu

Building balsa is not that bad. I struggle with the coatings more than the building. Get some Medium CA and you will be golden.
Okay I had a 7 ton (7000kg) oakboat original built 1938 before so I guess building in balsa is a pice of cake if you compare :)
I will probably ask a lot of heliquestions on the forum. They will probably most be ablout, FBL-system and ESC setups (electrics).
My next heli build will be an FBL.
My lack of flycompatance is just solved by training :)

I really enjoy being here.

Thanks!

Brgrds

Jonas

Quangzu

Thanks Admiral!
It has been fun to build, repair and modify the fleet.
Now I just have to learn handle them good enough airborne as well :)

Capn Pete

Okay I had a 7 ton (7000kg) oakboat original built 1938 before so I guess building in balsa is a pice of cake if you compare :)
I will probably ask a lot of heliquestions on the forum. They will probably most be ablout, FBL-system and ESC setups (electrics).
My next heli build will be an FBL.
My lack of flycompatance is just solved by training :)

I really enjoy being here.

Thanks!

Brgrds

Jonas
I liked the pic of your fleet. I have some of the same helis. 911, 913. I had a 977, but it was so poorly made I sent it back. The main gear was especially poor. If it just tipped over, it would pop loose and have to be put back on each time. Does yours do that? I would buy another one if they aren't all made like that. Mine didn't have a locking screw to hold it to the main shaft.
Really love the 911 and 913. Especially the 913. Very fast and oh so easy to fly. Trying to learn to fly CP with a Walkera Master CP. I actually got it off the ground and landed safely, once. Just once!

Tony

Staff member
Sometimes those gears popping off will actually save other parts like the shaft or blades. On the mcpx, it saved a LOT of the little links lol.

Capn Pete

My other helis, like the 911, the main gear has a screw. I've had some pretty spectacular crashes and it didn't even strip the gear. The 977, I stripped two gears in three days. And none of the crashes were all that spectacular. Mostly just into the grass. Are all the 977's that cheaply made?

Top Bottom