New to site but not to r/c

Spbait

Hello,I am new to this site but not new to r/c. I was into airplanes in the 80s and 90s. Until my father in law passed away...I lost interest in flying because it reminded me of good ole days with my buddy! Now yrs later I would like to get back into flying and a ground pounder for around the house. I am left to work with 5 airplanes from yrs ago, all with old fm format and prob all useless batteries! Anyhow looking for new ideas and incentive to get back to once was a radio controlled addiction! Thanks for a site like this

Derek

That sucks about your loss. I can understand your feelings and how it would remind you of "good old days with your buddy." However, like you said there is a certain level of addiction to RC. I know that I've certainly been bitten hard by the "RC Bug." Who knows...you may be able to take up one of your old birds and be reminded of the fun that you and your father in law had. Ain't nothing wrong with that at all.

If your planes and radios still work with the fm format...there's probably nothing wrong with that. There are many websites that offer new batteries for not alot of cost.

For example:
www.hobbyking.com

Shop for RC Hobby Parts and Upgrades - Digital Servos, Brushless Motors, ESC, LiPo Batteries/Chargers for RC Helicopters, RC Planes, RC Cars, Robots

Home of the MicroJet V3, Super MegaJet V2, SuperSonic V2, MonsterJet Brushless ParkJet Motors, Depron Foam, Dynam RC, ESC, LiPo Batteries, Metal Gear Servos

There are many many other sites, but those three are the ones that I visit frequently for parts. If for some reason your fm setup doesn't work, I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to pick up a new 2.4gHz transmitter and receiver (e.i. Spektrum AR600 6-Channel Sport DSMX Receiver and Spektrum DX6i transmitter). Or, if you are looking to get flying without spending alot of cash, maybe the Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware). It's a $54 transmitter that comes with a receiver and quite a few people really like this radio. There are so many choices these days.

So anyway...I'm sorry to hear about your loss but who knows....you could be out at the flying field some time this year and you could be having a great time while your father in law is looking down at you with a smile.

...and I gotta say...you are gonna really enjoy this site. I've been around here for 5-6 months and I gotta say...there are alot of really knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Good luck buddy!!!

wolfman76

WELCOME TO THE RC-HELP FAMILY GLAD TO HAVE YOU SPBAIT... post up some pics or even a video of your fleet and ask whatever you would like and we will do our best to help you get back in the air in whatever way we can....

Derek

ahhh, good call wolfman! He should definitely post up some pics or a video of the older planes that he has.

Lee

Welcome mate,
Have a browse around here and your addiction will return very quickly. Lots of builds and good info to feed the habit.
Cheers Lee

Spbait

That sucks about your loss. I can understand your feelings and how it would remind you of "good old days with your buddy." However, like you said there is a certain level of addiction to RC. I know that I've certainly been bitten hard by the "RC Bug." Who knows...you may be able to take up one of your old birds and be reminded of the fun that you and your father in law had. Ain't nothing wrong with that at all.

If your planes and radios still work with the fm format...there's probably nothing wrong with that. There are many websites that offer new batteries for not alot of cost.

For example:
HobbyKing RC Plane, Car, Heli, Boat and MultiRotor Hobby Store

Shop for RC Hobby Parts and Upgrades - Digital Servos, Brushless Motors, ESC, LiPo Batteries/Chargers for RC Helicopters, RC Planes, RC Cars, Robots

Home of the MicroJet V3, Super MegaJet V2, SuperSonic V2, MonsterJet Brushless ParkJet Motors, Depron Foam, Dynam RC, ESC, LiPo Batteries, Metal Gear Servos

There are many many other sites, but those three are the ones that I visit frequently for parts. If for some reason your fm setup doesn't work, I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to pick up a new 2.4gHz transmitter and receiver (e.i. Spektrum AR600 6-Channel Sport DSMX Receiver and Spektrum DX6i transmitter). Or, if you are looking to get flying without spending alot of cash, maybe the Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware). It's a $54 transmitter that comes with a receiver and quite a few people really like this radio. There are so many choices these days.

So anyway...I'm sorry to hear about your loss but who knows....you could be out at the flying field some time this year and you could be having a great time while your father in law is looking down at you with a smile.

...and I gotta say...you are gonna really enjoy this site. I've been around here for 56 months and I gotta say...there are alot of really knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Good luck buddy!!!
Thanks for all the good info.....that trinagy radio looks awsome

Spbait

Thanks for the great welcome gang! If I decide to go with the new trinagy radio what would you recommend I use for servos and batt pack for the tmaxx2.5......

Lee

There is a new updated version of that radio Called the Turnigy 9XR You can choose the module you want to run. Spektrum, Futaba, FRSky.

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

I would highly suggest, if you are in this for the long haul, that you purchase a Tx that is going to last and has the backing of the manufacturer. I will never push a Turnigy Tx on anyone just because to make it work like it should, you have to hack it and upload new firmware. I HIGHLY suggest a Spektrum, JR or Futaba. And IMO, 7+ channels. I'm a Spektrum guy and I run the DX8. The DX7s is another great Tx. For futaba and JR, there are members here that can help you out, I just don't know anything about them.

As stated, post up some pictures of your fleet. Just cause a plane has a little age on it doesn't mean it's out dated. Your batteries however, probably are. Everyone used to run NiCd or NiMh, now we are running LiPo and LiFe batteries.

any questions, just post them up in the correct section and we will help you out in any way we can.

Derek

I would definitely have to agree with Tony on a few things that he said. First off, If you are gonna get a new Tx...go for 7+ channels. I currently have the Spektrum Dx6i and I really am wishing that I had just gotten the DX8. I'd really like to have the added channels. Now I'm working on getting the money together so that I can get the DX8 and my wife will take over the DX6i.

JR and Futaba radios are also great. I know very little about them but I have some friends that have them and they've used them for years.

Now...as far as the Turnigy Tx that I mentioned in my initial post...I only posted that option as just that....an option. It's a very inexpensive 9 channel radio that comes with an 8 channel receiver. I see people using the Turnigy 9x and the Turnigy 9XR on Youtube and they talk very highly about them. Yes, there is probably gonna need some firmware uploaded but it's a $54 radio. Ya just have to weigh the pros and cons. It's just another option.

Good luck with your choices and just remember....if you have any questions...I'm sure there is someone or someone's that can and will help you out. This site has helped me numerous times and I keep coming back for more because I know that the "help" is always there.

murankar

Staff member
Welcome to the forum if I have not welcomed you yet.

On a note of the th9x radios, I have the flysky th9x essentially its the same radio with a different outer case markings. I have had mine for about a year now and have not done much to it, only did the back light mod. If you are savvy on the electronics side of thing doing the flash mod is not a a must do mod but will be worth every bit of the hassle to do it. keep in mind this is no DXxx, JR or Futaba but it will get you in the air in no time. Programing; for me, was straight forward without to many issues. I was able to follow Tony's DX6i videos to set up my th9x.

I have setup to models on my radio an EXI 450 pro and a Protos mini. Both setups mimicked each other so the second model was basically a copy and past and then redoing the subtrims witch saved me a lot of setup time. If you plan on getting into custom mixing you will need to flash the firmware. I have read that the stock firmware will not mix, I have not been able to set my mixing as of yet. I have been wanting to set all of my dual rates to one switch and have yet to do so.

I have yet to go through the setup on a plane. To me the setting seem to be confusing but there are a limited number of videos out that will help you in that area if you need it.

As for the TH9XR that is out (so far I only found Turnigy makes it) it only has a few improvements that make it a more worthwhile purchase. One it has the open source firmware already installed, two it has the flashing port already installed, three it can handle lipos standard with out the lipo mod and the case has been redesigned. I think it comes with the back light mod also. One thing that may turn you off is that it does not come with the module you would need to buy that separate and hobbyking takes a long time to stock the radio. If the restocking is anything like the TH9X then you will want to order it and get on the waiting list. I bought the FlySky just for this one reason and the Turnigy back light works just fine on the radio.

I am currently contemplating on getting a Specktrum or a JR radio. As of right now I am on the JR side of things and will be not getting this for a while right now. My progress in flying is stopping me. I have an agreement with the wife that I will not make another major purchase until I get way better at flying.

Top Bottom