500 New to me, but...

trainrider06

ok through a series of events, trades with some great people, I am
a proud owner of a almost complete TRex 500 DFC!
This will be my first FBL heli, but not my first dance with helis. I have
2 Blade SR's, a 250, and a 450.
Back to the 500....first thing I cannot believe how this thing dwarfs my
450!
Now to the meat an tadors of my post....
Any suggestions on what parts I should get for this?
Different? What I have right now are the heli frame tail, DFC head, a Castle ice 75a esc, stock motor, skids of course, canopy. I know I need servos of course...would the DS 510-15's
Cyclic, and DS 524 be good? Any suggestions on set up tips?
Right now I won't be doing tricks with it just buzzing around will probably not do
much more than an occasional invert, loop, roll.
That'll be about all I am interested in flying any of my helis....
Rodney

Slobberdog

the Align ds515 for swash and ds525 for tail will do you well, don't go for anything more expensive on them,

The biggest set up tip I would say is spend the cash on a good FBL controller, I run the IKon on mine and its fantastic, but a lot of people are praising the Spartan vortex vx1e,

murankar

Staff member
Yes the gyro is a must. Depending on your flying style you might want to research this out. While the vortex is starting to make some leeway in the market there might be better options out there.

If I read your post right you side mild sport flying is about as far is going to go? If this is correct the the best gyro for you might be a beastx. No muss no fuss, plug it in make some minor tweaks and fly; that's it.

Ikon is a great option also. Almost flies itself out of the box. This gyro will have more things that can be adjusted making it a little more advanced.

Others to look at are skookum (have not heard a lot coming from these guys lately. When they first came out the were raved about. Bavarian Demon is also an option if governor mode is not an issue, this gyro does not have a governor built in.

These are some options to look at. I would go either beastx or ikon, in that order.

Oh and the Gaui X7 with a beastx just won heli masters this year. Some food for thought.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:

Slobberdog

These are some options to look at. I would go either beastx or ikon, in that order.

Oh and the Gaui X7 with a beastx just won heli masters this year. Some food for thought.

While I agree the beastx is a good beginner gyro, its relatively easy to set up, but once you start to need to fine tune it to your feel its not good for that,

while yes it won at heli masters that's in the hands of someone who has probably been using it for years, and a pro lol,

IMO the VX1e offer so much better value for money at the moment, and it has a lot of really cool features and setups,

the ikon is a solid choice, and Lee on here has one going up for sale at the moment, so you could grab a great bargain,

murankar

Staff member
The only reason I suggested beastx is because of simplicity. If one is going to be doing at most light sport flying there really is no need for all the bells and whistles. Now I have heard that there is a v3 out that has its parameters available for adjustment and there is a computer interface for it as well along with a droid app.

Okay you got me in the fact the Duncan Bosion was flying it.

As for resale a used beastx will more than likely sell faster than a vx1. If

trainrider06

the Align ds515 for swash and ds525 for tail will do you well, don't go for anything more expensive on them,

The biggest set up tip I would say is spend the cash on a good FBL controller, I run the IKon on mine and its fantastic, but a lot of people are praising the Spartan vortex vx1e,
I have a Spartan quark right now while the 250 is waiting on a part, I cannot believe how sweet that
tiny little gyro holds the tail on that 450! And it's a snap to
program too! I may have to leave it on and pick up a second one!
I had gotten a Futaba 611 gyro for it, and I am not sure about using it because of that extra
program box that will have to hang on the heli...

But the 500 yes I have those exact servos coming for it...
Now I lower my head and say...now don't beat me up but I have a Kbar
laying around that I was thinking of trying, because with all the parts I have had to
buy esc, motor, servos, my wallet is getting thin till after Christmas...
I've read that the Kbar is actually a decent receiver/controller...
Oh also the motor I got for it is Too long...It's supposed to fit
the 500, but it ain't fitting this one....anyone know what it might fit...
I can get the numbers off it...it's an Align motor says something like ML500 or something
like that...I can post them when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

The only reason I suggested beastx is because of simplicity. If one is going to be doing at most light sport flying there really is no need for all the bells and whistles. Now I have heard that there is a v3 out that has its parameters available for adjustment and there is a computer interface for it as well along with a droid app.

Okay you got me in the fact the Duncan Bosion was flying it.

As for resale a used beastx will more than likely sell faster than a vx1. If

Yes I will probably end up with one...that seems to be the thing to have on it...

Slobberdog

Kbar is an excellent gyro and you can't go wrong for the price, vBar performance at a fraction of the cost,

murankar

Staff member
Start reading the manual now. Some people find that gyro easy to set while other scream and curse at it.

This gyro is going to have a lot of things you can adjust. Get the basic setup done first and don't worry about doing the advanced setting until you learn that gyro. This actually applies to all gyros that allow you to adjust advanced settings.

Slobberdog

the vstabi software will give you a step by step walk through, and if you hover over the sliders it will tell you what it does and how to alter to get an effect, but to be honest it was pretty damn good out of the box for me on my 450 dfc,

but I agree with Murankar, get the software open and read through it, and have a look, also mr mel has a great set of videos,

trainrider06

the vstabi software will give you a step by step walk through, and if you hover over the sliders it will tell you what it does and how to alter to get an effect, but to be honest it was pretty damn good out of the box for me on my 450 dfc,

but I agree with Murankar, get the software open and read through it, and have a look, also mr mel has a great set of videos,

Will do....well already am....started checking it out last night!
Thank you!
Rodney

DavidDutch

Just a question may I ask which Kbar (yellow/blue/gray the mini or full size).

Just be carefull for brown-outs (power drops below 3.6v) which results in funny behavior of your heli.

I will say the yellow one is performing excelent (I have them on 450's, I am not risking it on my 500 with standard size servo's), also a very good one might be the TGZ380 it a BX clone and loved it on my 500, simple no programs to setup the gyro (which might be good for beginners, because the pro settings on some software can cause frustration if you don't know exactly what you have to alter)

Good luck with your build and choice on a FBL unit, post some build pictures would be awesome.

trainrider06

Just a question may I ask which Kbar (yellow/blue/gray the mini or full size).

Just be carefull for brown-outs (power drops below 3.6v) which results in funny behavior of your heli.

I will say the yellow one is performing excelent (I have them on 450's, I am not risking it on my 500 with standard size servo's), also a very good one might be the TGZ380 it a BX clone and loved it on my 500, simple no programs to setup the gyro (which might be good for beginners, because the pro settings on some software can cause frustration if you don't know exactly what you have to alter)

Good luck with your build and choice on a FBL unit, post some build pictures would be awesome.

It's the yellow one, yeah I picked up a DMX satellite reciever, I'm still piecing together the parts for it, am just about there but gotta get through this Christmas crap first......
Rodney

DavidDutch

I had never problems with the yellow but I am not using sat's on them , but read carefully around on RCG because there is a massive thread regarding the kbar.
And I read some people experienced some problems with sat's drawing to much from the Kbar. Have not seen any other problems with regular receivers but it is worth to check. They use a capacitor to prevent loss in case of a brown-out.

But again I never experienced any problem on the yellow one.

And maybe under the Xmas tree will be stuff for the Heli :) anyway goodluck with the build and if I can be of any assistance just let me know.

trainrider06

I had never problems with the yellow but I am not using sat's on them , but read carefully around on RCG because there is a massive thread regarding the kbar.
And I read some people experienced some problems with sat's drawing to much from the Kbar. Have not seen any other problems with regular receivers but it is worth to check. They use a capacitor to prevent loss in case of a brown-out.

But again I never experienced any problem on the yellow one.

And maybe under the Xmas tree will be stuff for the Heli :) anyway goodluck with the build and if I can be of any assistance just let me know.

I may need to give ya a shout, I hate to bother anyone, really try to figure stuff out for myself, but this thing can run into some $$$$ so I gotta be careful here I think...I was just installing the servo's motor, and looking at this esc I picked up off a guy. It's a Castle Ice 75a esc, but someone had put a Deans connector on it, and I'm gonna take that off and use the ec5 with it.
I surely appreciate the offer, hopefully I won't have to bother you much.
Rodney

Top Bottom