New To Electric RC

eekay

Hello all, my name is Chris, and I am somewhat new to the hobby...in its present form.

I grew up in a small mining town in the remote Eastern Canadian wilderness, where we had a small flying club called the Tanya Dusters RC Club, was a card carrying member of MAAC (Canadian AMA) for 2 years, and had a fist full of Duraplane and Thunder Tiger ARF trainers (Circa 2000).

Around 2004 I relocated to a city called St. Johns, which unfortunately experiences near hurricane forced winds on a daily basis and maybe see's a days worth of sunshine per year. Needless to say, that put the kibosh on any flying.

I just recently relocated again, to the Canadian Prairies in Alberta, with big open fields, beautiful weather, and little wind (Save for the odd tornado), so, Im getting right back into it.

I have not been keeping up with the advancements in RC at all over the mast 9-10 years, and what a mind blowing surprise to see what the advent of the brushless outrunner and the LiPo battery have done for the hobby, nitro seems to be extremely rare these days.

As my first foray into the new electric side of the hobby, I stumbled upon Troys RC-Help Trainer on YouTube, and threw one together. My first HobbyKing order arrived yesterday (took nearly two months and shipping was nearly $100, you have no idea how hard it is to get a LiPo battery in this country) and hopefully the trainer will be in the air soon.

Figuring out LiPos, Motors, and all the electronics that go with it has likely been the mostly infuriating experience Ive had in a long time. I'm slowly....slowwwwly getting my head around it, and Im headed over to one of the sub-forums now to unleash the pent up fury in the form of long winded questions.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Chris

pvolcko

Welcome back into the RC flying fold, Chris! :)

Do you have any Canadian domestic sources for lipos? I'd avoid international shipping and the customs headaches associated with them if possible.

Derek

Hey there, Chris!!! Welcome to the site! This forum is massively-full of people that are incredibly knowledgeable.

Be sure to post pictures and/or videos of your Trainer, buddy! We love pics and vids!!!

Tony

Staff member
Hey Chris, welcome to the forum. Just an FYI, my name is not Troy lol. :biggrin1:

No matter the question, we can answer it. Except in this case as my computer and internet are giving me headaches right now. gotta love technology.

:welcome1:

eekay

Haha, sorry that was the fault of AutoCorrect.

As per the Canadian retailer for LiPos. GreatHobbies has them but at 3x price of HobbyKing, there are a few smaller LHS but always out of stock. HK is still best bang for your buck if you can do a group order at your club.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I would Oder out of the us whse for HK. Also there are plenty of hobby shops in ca. Just have to look around on line.

Karubah

Welcome from the Land Downunder Chris. This is great forum to be a part of always willing to answer any question you have. Your right, trying to keep up with technology is is hard, ( especially for old blokes like me) things just change so fast.
Cheers Andy.

Derek

lol @ Karubah!!! "Old blokes" or not....we've got your back and we're here to help.

eekay

Just to amend this comment, I received 3 Zippy 2200mAh 25C 3S batteries just yesterday, from the HK Intn'l store, and had not a single hiccup with customs or duties.

It's my understanding that Canadians can no longer order LiPos from the US due to the DOT reclassifying them as dangerous goods. At least that's what the fine print on HobbyPartz says.

Westy

LEGEND
Welcome Chris!

Good to see the hobby has the power to pull us back into it! .... technology isn't that scary as Tony and the Guys will definitely help you every step of the way! Good bunch of guys and gals on this Forum. It is great!

I have always got the help I needed everytime! I have met so many people... mainly from here. Some of which I consider friends from afar. Scotland, England, Ireland, US, Canada.... yes and even Brazil and Mexico! it brings the world closer!

Keep it up Fellas!
Welcome Aboard from New Zealand!

Top Bottom