Trucks New Tmaxx Jerking?

Gator Bait Bill

Hello,

I got a new Tmaxx calssic 2.5 today for my son. While breaking it in it seemed to be jerking in a weird way. Im not entirely sure what to make of it. Reverse in it seems to be hit or miss. The best way I can describe it is to show you a video I found on youtube.

Thank you in advance for your input,

Gator

Tony

Staff member
What that jerking is is the clutches inside the transmission. They are centrifugal clutches that swing out and grab. These trucks have never done good at part throttle and low speeds because of this issue.

Think of it like this. It's like hitting a punching bag, but you want to place your fist against it and just raise it up. But you only have one strength, and that is full power. So you hit the bag and it swings away from you. So you wait for it to come back but when it does it makes your arm go back a little and again, full power to keep it raised so it bounces back away from you. That is exactly what is happening inside this transmission.

Best thing to do is give it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to get going and once the truck is moving you can start to play with the throttle.

It also sounds like your idle is a little high as well. Might want to lower that just a touch with the angled screw on the front of the carb. Just close it off a little. You don't want to mess with any needles yet until you have run some tanks through it.

I will try to dive into more detail on these transmissions when I start working on this truck. Just give me some time. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom