Servos New tail servo to try

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I ordered some new servos for my Gaui X3 today KST DS565X with 3pcs DS215MG Metal Gear Digital Servo for 450 500 RC Helicopter | eBay . I have KST DS215MG servos all around the X3 now which been working fine for me but It was time to order new ones and use the old servos on my 450 DFC CoastGuard scale heli that I'm putting together. The new set has a different tail servo. A KST DS565X tail servo that I haven't use yet. Has anyone use this tail servo before?

Tony

Staff member
send it to me, I will shake the crap out of it that has gathered with your grandpa flying style. :poke:

Derek

I don't know anything about KST servos, DOG, but I just did some comparison. I have the Align DS525M Digital servo on the tail of my 450 and my 500. I imagine that you're gonna be running 6.0v (and not 4.8v), so I was looking at the specs. The Align servo has a bit more torque, at 6.0v, than the KST servo but the Align servo and the KST servo have the same speed specs at 6.0v. Now, since you aren't a hardcore 3D SMACK flyer, I'd imagine the KST DS565X servo will do you just fine.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I don't know anything about KST servos, DOG, but I just did some comparison. I have the Align DS525M Digital servo on the tail of my 450 and my 500. I imagine that you're gonna be running 6.0v (and not 4.8v), so I was looking at the specs. The Align servo has a bit more torque, at 6.0v, than the KST servo but the Align servo and the KST servo have the same speed specs at 6.0v. Now, since you aren't a hardcore 3D SMACK flyer, I'd imagine the KST DS565X servo will do you just fine.

Thanks Derek for that information. You're correct about me running 6.0v vs 4.8v. I do have the Align DS525M digtal servo on the 500. The extra torque helps with the extra weight the 500 has on then the X3.

Smoggie

The KST is a HV servo. To get the best out of it you have to run it at HV voltage 7.4-8.4V. I use KST HV brushless servos on a few of my helis, bang for buck they are hard to beat.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
The KST is a HV servo. To get the best out of it you have to run it at HV voltage 7.4-8.4V. I use KST HV brushless servos on a few of my helis, bang for buck they are hard to beat.

I agree with you Smoggie. For the price I'm pleased with them. I have KST servos on all three helis of my.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
My servos for the Gaui X3 has arrived today!IMG_0283.JPG Since the servos on the 450 are the oldest. They will get the X3 servos and the new servos will go in the X3. The old servos from the 450 will be used for back up.

IMG_0283.JPG

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well I had the chance to install the servos into the X3 and sure enough the KST DS5565X tail servo doesn't WORK!:damnit: I already contact E-Bay but now it's a waiting game. Good thing I still have my back up servo. Oh well s#*t happens.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well after all the exchanging e-mail back and fourth with this KST DS565XMG servo not working now they are telling me that I have to use a 3-axis gyro with this servo in order for the servo to work. They didn't mention that in their web site. Is this true or are they just yanking my chain? Not much longer I'm just going to let E-Bay resolve this situation. I'm tired of going around in circle.

Smoggie

D.O.G. That's a 'narrow band' 760us tail servo.. yes?

That being the case then KST are correct. It will only work when connected to the tail output of a gyro or FBL controller that supports 760us narrow band servos (and when the gyro/FBL is correctly set to 760us). All modern FBL controllers support these servos but you have to go into the settings and change to 760us, they wont automatically detect it.

If you connect it to a standard receiver or you don't select 760us in your FBL controller you will probably just get the odd twitch out of it. Sorry I didn't notice the problem earlier as I could have given you the heads up right away and saved you some frustration.....I've been there myself!

PS.. 760us 'narrow band' means that it receives signals from the receiver twice as regularly as a standard servo, therefore can respond faster and with more precision.. so be happy, it's a good thing!

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
D.O.G. That's a 'narrow band' 760us tail servo.. yes?

That being the case then KST are correct. It will only work when connected to the tail output of a gyro or FBL controller that supports 760us narrow band servos (and when the gyro/FBL is correctly set to 760us). All modern FBL controllers support these servos but you have to go into the settings and change to 760us, they wont automatically detect it.

If you connect it to a standard receiver or you don't select 760us in your FBL controller you will probably just get the odd twitch out of it. Sorry I didn't notice the problem earlier as I could have given you the heads up right away and saved you some frustration.....I've been there myself!

PS.. 760us 'narrow band' means that it receives signals from the receiver twice as regularly as a standard servo, therefore can respond faster and with more precision.. so be happy, it's a good thing!

Thank you smoggie! Don't be sorry, I just don't understand why the seller was arguing back and fourth for a week before somebody like your self told me. You would think they would know what they were selling. It's also my bad for not researching information about that servo before I bought it.

trainrider06

That's a relief to hear and a good tip to remember!
So that BeastX does support that servo I assume? I don't remember seeing that last time I set one of mine up, of course I wasn't looking for it either.
Ivan do you know if you'll need to readjust anything else besides end points, of course center the servo, but any thing else?

trainrider06

I thought so, it seems to me those fellers would have asked Ivan what type controller he had instead of just giving the answer they did to him. But I guess the BeastX says it's one of those too. It's all good looking forward to seeing some more of Ivan's
Flight video's with the new servo's!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I thought so, it seems to me those fellers would have asked Ivan what type controller he had instead of just giving the answer they did to him. But I guess the BeastX says it's one of those too. It's all good looking forward to seeing some more of Ivan's
Flight video's with the new servo's!

Yulp. I didn't go to the book.:loser: I assumed :redface: The good thing it works! Thanks again RCH!

trainrider06

That's one of those duh moments Ivan, Lord knows I get plenty of those. I seem to remember through these cobwebs of seeing that in the manual though, sorry the fog in my head didn't clear quick enough to get ya a good answer...good thing we got guys like Tony, Steve, Uri, and others to think clearly lol

Top Bottom