1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Projects New Project

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by grumpy1, Dec 13, 2018.

1. grumpy1

grumpy1 I Support Rc-Help! Rc-Help Supporter

pipe welder. .pipe fitter. .asme code pipe shop fo
    Well so far new project is looking good ..a REAL scratch build...cessna Agwagon...60.5 w/s .....what a task cutting an shaping wing ribs..no problem, I got more time than money lol, but anyway got all fuse formers cut out ....firewall. .just about to have wing complete....here's a question gonna have flaps ..my question is plain flap vs split flap.. From what I've read split is the most "draggest" really slows down without as much loss of lift an can have much steeper descent..an that on take off with split flap not as much deflection to get same lift charteristics with less drag as plan flap ..know it's not to scale ..just like the looks of split flaps..:argue: I

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

I have always just used standard flaps. Way easier to put into a plane.

3. grumpy1

That is the easy way out, but hardly ever see split flaps, Well at our field anyway...is it true that split flaps generate more drag on decent opposed to plain flaps an it take less flap deflection an less generated drag on take off opposed to plain flaps

4. Tony

Quite honestly on models this small, you won't notice much difference between any of the flap designs.

5. grumpy1

Anybody had any experience with the the electric smoke system from MrRcSound smoke system..thinking about installing that on this Agwagon with under wing spray bar

6. Tony

Nope, never played with those.

7. grumpy1

Well making some progress on new project. .

8. Tony

Nieeeeeece!!!

9. grumpy1

Anybody know if a 4-40 left land swivel ia available, even no returns even from Google, what I'm trying to do is on that wing it has a wing strut from top of wing to fuse. Want to make turn buckle type strut with swivel at wing attach point an 4-40 clevis at fuse attach point..that way no loose parts to lose when assembling at field ...just spread clevis an insert in tab..no loose parts to drop

10. Tony

Not that I'm aware of. I have never seen one in the years I have been in the hobby. I just did a search and the only thing I found was 4-40 left handed bolts and threaded rod. Which does no good without the clevis.

11. grumpy1

Looks like I will have to make an insert...a heli coil...the barrel on dubro 4-40 ball swivel has .2295 od drill that out to #36 drill an tap for 6-32. Next cut 1/2. CR rod 1" long. Chuck up in lathe bore #36 hole an tap 6-32 ...install 6-32 x 1 screw. Turn part around in lathe screw head inside Chuck now bore #43 hole to a depth of .500 an tap to 4-40 left hand. Only reason for 1/2 rod is to hold screw on ctr to chuck up on lathe. Screw into ball swivel put some #620 loctite bearing retaining compound on 6-32 threads, so now cut head off screw with cut off wheel..got a 4-40 left hand ball swivel ....think it will work

12. grumpy1

There's 2 ways that could be done make a 4-40 right/ 4-40 left all thread stud then have 4- 40 left hand male swivel. This way isn't as much work. Any thoughts:argue:

13. Tony

I didn't know you had a lathe or the bits to accurately do 6/32" threads. What you are saying is making sense to me and as long as it works I think it's a perfect solution. If you do what I'm picturing that is lol.

14. grumpy1

I got a pretty nice well equipped home machine shop..13 x 40 gear head lathe, 9 x 42 milling machine, 2 sheet metal brakes both are pan brakes with removable fingers, syncrowave 250 Miller welding machine, 200 Miller matic wire welder , iron worker,drill press, 10" rotary table, 5c spin index, all kinds of tooling for mill an lathe boring bars, end mills.. etc

15. Admiral

Admiral I Support Rc-Help! Rc-Help Supporter

Information Technology (Retired)
    Nice workshop.

16. grumpy1

My past hobby it almost a necessity, but never thought I would need some of the same equipment in the rc world ...who would have thought I sure wouldn't have

Attached Files:

17. grumpy1

Got some more tooling for shop today, mail lady brought a 4-40 left hand tap an die today to make left hand swivel for wing strut. Gonna make the 4 tube inserts tomorrow or Monday , have some .250 hex 6061 aluminum. What would suggest on holding stud into swivel..jam nut..put some CA on threads ...loctire red ? I've got some .1875 x .014 wall aluminum to use as strut itself...that an some brackets will probably be some of the test parts for anodizing project.

Attached Files:

18. Tony

I would just make some jam nuts with the aluminum rod you are going to use. Finding left handed 4-40 nuts is going to be a chore. Making your rod a tad longer than you need and just cutting off a nut from it is by far the easiest way. CA will come loose, surely not red thread locker unless you never want it to move again.

19. grumpy1

I'm not talking about on left hand threads had already decided to make jam nuts for strut out of that hex anyway both right an left jam nuts for strut . I'm talking where that right/ left rod screws into swivel left hand stud is left to screw into strut

20. Tony

Oh, the plastic end? If so, a slight knurl on the threads and screwing it on quickly should hold that just fine. If you are already holding the shaft into the turnbuckle and the plastic end is held with something else, it's not going to spin out of there. And if there is something that is strong enough to pull the threads out, there is no option that can stop that lol.