Quad new project, need advice and parts.

sarconastic

Ok I am looking at building an inexpensive quad, now. I really do not have enough RC stuff lying around the house yet. Anyway. I have a lot of supplies left over from crashing...er flying my Rc-Help trainer and figured I would recycle. I am looking a the Alien frame on Banggood first HJ MWC X-Mode Alien Multicopter Quadcopter Frame Kit Landing Gear - US$17.00 or something similar in this price range. I am wanting large enough to mount my sj4000 on and use an articulating mount.

So I have 4 of the 1000kv 2212 Motors from China, they work pretty good I now have plenty of replacement shafts for them.

I currently have 2 of the Hobby power 30A ESCs I could use and just pick up a couple more. Or should I go for a 30A 4 in 1 unit? They run about $30 so $10 more than the esc delivered.

I think I have decided on a KK2.1.5 for the flight controller.

So what I need is the size of props to get for this. and do I just use regular prop mounts like on the RC help trainer?

Will be using the DX6i and the AR6200 receiver, or the Lemon if need be. Are the flight controllers on this all 4 channel Or are they 6 channels?

Anything else I am forgetting. Or should I just pick up an X5c or something similar to get my feet wet? I would like to stay under $100 and am not opposed to buying used if anyone would like to sell some old parts or even full quad.

Thanks

Woody

Lee

I would go with Simon K flashed escs. They make a big difference to the stability.

Stambo

I have not used a 4in1 ESC yet and I think of the down side that if one ESC fails you replace the lot.
Wiring wise they are much simpler although you may have to extend your motor leads.
Props I would probably go for 9 or 10 inch.
I have 980kv sunnysky motors on mine (similar frame) with 9" props and I am thinking of trying 10".
I also have 10" props on my X quad running 1000kv.

I currently use the KK2 but have just built a miniquad with the Naze32 and I must say I am impressed.

What battery are you planning to run?
I use a 4s 5000 zippy compact and get between 12 and 15 minutes flight on the alien frame and up to 16 on the lighter X quad.

Don't forget the male to male servo leads to go from FC to RX.
If you get the Naze32 they come with it.

Last edited:

sarconastic

Stambo thanks for the help.

I know for some of the 4 in 1's you can get replacement esc boards. otherwise ya just buy two, one for spare parts. They are cheap enough for the basic units.

Haven't decided on props yet. But 9 or 10's sound pretty good. just need to figure pitch.

I am planning on using my 3s 2200's for now. until I get it built and Know I am going to like it, then I may upgrade to a 4s+ That should give me a least a few minutes flight Time I would think. If not I could run 2 of the 3s' together couldn't I?

I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I bought a small Wltoys BNF Plane to mess around with the other day so I gotta build funds back up again .

Woody

The flight controller don't come with the leads? Good to know.

Tasajara

Props 10x4.7 or 10x5 Gemfan HQ props. They are stiff and not to bad on cost.
I use 9x5 on a 1100kv T-Motor with 3 s.
As far as esc's never done a 4 in 1 I have been using ReadyToFly-SimonK Super House ESC
Also the Lumenier 30 amp ESC with SimonK Firmware on my higher cost stuff...
And last but not least I have got a set of the ZTW Spider 30A OPTO Multirotor ESC SimonK on my Hexa they seem pretty smooth also...

It all comes down to what works best for you... :biggrin1:

Oh yeah +1 on the Naze type controller... I have a Flip32 which is built off of the Naze design.... I want fly anything else now on my Mini's or other fun Fly Multirotors.

Last edited:

sarconastic

I went ahead and ordered the frame. Gonna think about some of the other stuff while I fly some of the other stuff I got sittin around. The 450 is still calling my name as well as the Airfield 182. Gotta get some free time soon. This weekend was the first time I have really flown much in months. Flew the V911, the V912, the MCPX and the toy airplane too. Yet I am ordering more stuff to fly lol.

what brand of the Naze do you recommend.

Woody

Tasajara

The original is Called "Naze32"
The Flip32 is a copy based on the Naze32.

If you don't like to solder the small stuff you can get a flip32 with the type pins you want already soldered on.
Right angle or straight.

If you like the auto level , alt hold and so on the Flip32+ has those features.

But for me just out flying fpv or acro I got the Flip32 with out the Baro or Mag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom