New member...

I have been using RCGroups for information, but for some reason I get very little response to my questions - there just seems to be too many people there. :)

I belong to the Birmingham RC Association, a flying field just north of Birmingham - Alabama, not England. I fly Hangar9 kits almost exclusively and currently am upgrading motors, ESCs and batteries in their 40-50 size P51 (Amazin' Grace) and their 40-50 size Pulse. I've gotten some help from the club but can't get all the info I need, so I hope you all can help me with a few questions in the future. I hope one day to be able to help answer some questions instead of always asking them.

I came to this website via a video on YouTube referred to me by a club member regarding how to choose motor, ESC and battery size. I have a 2 year degree from an electronics tech school but I'm 51 today and that was 30 years ago. I understand the concepts but frankly, I have more questions than answers right now.

Sorry to type a novel - I've been flying since I was 14 and remember the days when our radios were either 27 or 72 Mhz - I AM old! But i love to fly RC.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Best,

You can call me R.P.

wolfman76

First thing first.... WELCOME TO THE RCHELP FAMILY. ... now that I got that out of the way we are here to help in any way we can just post up your questions in the appropriate location and we will be happy to help.. we have another member here from Alabama he goes by Tasajara maybe he is near by you.. how bout some pics of your fleet?

Admiral

Hi R.P. Welcome to the forum, at 51 your in the mid range on this forum I'm 65 and there are quite a few older than me.

Well, here goes my first question - how do you post a pic? In some of the other forums, you had to type almost some kind of programming language before and after. For these, I just used the tool bar above the thread box - can you tell me if you can view these or if not, and if not, how do I post pics?

P51 test roll 002.jpgPristine Pulse 004.jpgCorvalis.jpgSuper Sportster 002.jpgGrasshopper L4 001.jpgCub with light kit closeup 003.jpgJan2010 Trojan 012.jpgMicro T38 Trojan 003.jpg

Thanks!
RP

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, looks like it worked, but I imagine there is a better format than taking up 10 screen pages?!? :) Please feel free to coach me - I want to be a good member. :)

I installed Hobart retracts (air) on the P51 - works ok, but they slam closed and I had hoped for a slow closing and opening for more realism.
The "big" Trojan left the field in a baggie of foam cubes after a low roll over the runway - almost took out my wife on that one.
The Grasshopper was a terrible kit - fragile as eggs. I let a club member advise me on motor size and it was way underpowered - did a ground loop and broke so much stuff I just put it away.

Let me ask my first question - the recommended electric motor for both the Pulse and P51 are Eflite's Power46. I've flown both with that and they were just not fast enough for me. Before I learned that the problem may have been simply the prop size and pitch I was using, I replaced the Power46 with an Evolution's .60 size nitro in a .45 sized casing - don't remember the model #. It was faster, but still not fast enough IMO. I bought a Power90 and am tempted to install it - however, I also bought a Power60 and have it currently installed in the Pulse - I got an ammeter for xmas so now I know how to test different props to get the most out of the battery and ESC without blowing anything up. If the Power60 with the right prop flies the Pulse like a rocket, I'm just going to buy another Power60 and install that into the P51. I don't have a pic of my Hangar9 P-47 (still in the box!) but when I build it I may put the Power90 in it. My question is, am I being too risky by putting a Power60 in a plane that is recommended for a Power46? I'm I being WAY too risky by putting the Power90 in the P51, double the recommend motor size? I don't want to crash them, but I do want them both to be fast, although vertical climbs are my favorite - I was hoping with the Power60 installs, both planes might have almost unlimited vertical climbing ability, with the correct props, of course.

My next question is going to be asking opinions on the motor/battery/ESC/prop I've chosen for the Pulse and P51. But for now, just tell me if I'm being stupid by overpowering both planes.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Best,
RP

Owner, Best 1 Home Inspection
(If any of you have any HOME INSPECTION questions, I will be GLAD to "pay you back" for your help with answers in that realm! :)

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing - the Corvalis is the most fun to fly - with the front shock absorber and flaps, it can fly incredibly slow, and almost every landing the plane just STICKS to the runway, with none of that frustrating bouncy landing - makes me appear to be a good pilot. :) It also has a light kit, and I have some video of about 10 landings at dusk with summer lightning in the background as the plane turned for the downwind leg of the landing approach.

The least fun kit to build was the Great Planes Sportster - there is just a world of difference between them and Hangar9. But, it is probably the second most fun to fly. It has a SuperTiger .45 nitro in it, but I can never make a nitro engine run right - the always sputter or cut out unless I get a club member to help me, and often no one is at the field to help. I just decided I would change everything over to electric to make it easier.

Later!
RP

P51 test roll 002.jpg

Pristine Pulse 004.jpg

Corvalis.jpg

Super Sportster 002.jpg

Grasshopper L4 001.jpg

Cub with light kit closeup 003.jpg

Jan2010 Trojan 012.jpg

Micro T38 Trojan 003.jpg

pvolcko

You may want to repost your question in the airplanes forum. Specifically the motors sub-forum: Motors

In general I'm all for more power. :) The dangers in it, though:

1) Motor mount or forward subframe might not be built for it. Saw a picture recently of a guy whose motor and nose section broke away from the plane during a bench power up, sliced open his forearm and he's in a foam brace for a couple/few months hoping he'll be able to use his fingers and wrist when the brace comes off.

2) Wings and other assemblies aren't built for it. In this case you may end up ripping it apart in flight.

3) Larger, heavier motors result in problems being able to balance out the CG where you need it.

4) Low speed throttle control becomes more difficult/touchy. This can generally be cured with some careful throttle curve programming.

5) You need to size up your batteries and ESC to match. Again, more weight so CG may be an issue, but also heat build up may become an issue, requiring some modifications to the model to get enough air moving through the motor and ESC areas to cool it during flight.

Top Bottom