Setups New Long Range setup.

Tasajara

Been working on this for a while and I got to try it out today.
So far it is working very well.
I have a 1.3 gHz system with an Eagle Eyes FPV diversity Ground Station.
I added an EZUHF system to my older Futaba 9C this should give me multiple miles
of range.
Also built a SkyWalker FPV plane. I glassed the whole plane with silk span and minwax polycrylic
added a few extra carbon spars here and there to make it a bit stiffer.
I did a custom wind on my motor, I used 20ga solid wire 7 turns.
This puts it in the range of 900kv. I fly this plane on 4s 5000mAh with a 9x6 apc e prop.
It pulls 25amp WOT and 500watts. I did check the speed of the plane with a radar gun for fun today and got 66mph
Not to bad for a floater type plane.
Here are a few pics of my setups.
BTW I did all the paint work on my plane with spray cans.

I use the GoPro to record my flight , I had my VTX mounted where my UHF RX is now. I did some checking and found out that the GoPro puts off extra RF freq. that will
hurt you range. So I pulled my VTX off and placed the UHF RX in it's place. I still have got to mount the VTX up front and mount my Pan and Tilt camera mount on top of the
canopy. Hope to get that done this weekend.

01 -  long range.JPG

02 -  long range.JPG

03 -  long range.jpg

04 -  long range.JPG

05 -  long range.JPG

06 -  long range.JPG

07 -  long range.JPG

08 -  long range.JPG

09 -  long range.JPG

10 -  long range.JPG

11 -  long range.JPG

Last edited:

Tasajara

Thanks....
About 5+ miles if you have an open area you could go farther. I will have to wait until i get the EZOSD to get a real world range.

Tasajara

Yep... I flew 12 min with a 4s 5000mAh and when I charged it back up I had only put 1380mAh back into the battery.
I can see a good 30 min flight with throttle management. Climb to altitude, then cruise around. I did check the amp draw at a cruising speed and found it to be 4.3 amps.

Last edited:

Lee

Nice looking set up you got there. I have the possibility of purchasing a 9C Futaba same as yours at a very low price. Would you recommend it? I will be very keen to hear your opinion of the EZUHF system on that radio. Its probably the way i'll go.

Tasajara

If you are thinking of doing a long range system it would be the way to go. If you can get the 9C at a good price I would do it. I like the EZUHF system. Everything plugs right into the Futaba Radio with out any wiring. I did wire mine though just to keep my trainer port open if I want to do a head tracker other than the EZOSD system.
But the EZOSD will plug right into the RX without any extra wire too. Makes it very simple to set up.
I found a step by step how to, it was not that hard at all.
I will see if I can find the link.

BTW I flew my plane to cut off voltage today and got 28 min + so a good 20 min flight would be no problem.
This weekend I will get to do a FPV flight with my Plane. Can't wait..... :)

I found the link.....

How to Install EZUHF into Futaba 9c Module Bay

I used my FM Module to make up my wiring as they did in this link. But I used the extra TX plug that came with the EZUHF system.
The other reason I didn't used the trainer plug cord was it was a bit long. I just liked the cleaner look of running my wiring into the Module.
I did add the 100 ohm resister from pin 3 to 4 so the RF led would light up. I also used the high temp hot glue , it seems to be a bit stronger
once it cooled. If you have any questions I will be glad to help if I can.

If I don't get back to you quick enough shoot me an email @ good4name@yahoo.com I don't always get the updates from the forum when ppl post.

And one other thing, I flew up about 2000 ft with no problems at all on low power on my TX. I really think this system will have way more range than I would ever fill comfortable
flying. But once I get an OSD with the RTH feature I might see how far I can go. With the EZOSD it will show you signal strength so you will know ahead of time if you are getting to
far out. As I said before the RX has a cord to plug the EZOSD right up, no wiring at all. It don't get any better than that.

Last edited:

Lee

Thanks for the info Craig. The 9C isn't going anywhere,as the guy has had it for years and never used it. I will pick it up from him when funds allow.

Tasajara

That would be great.... I did my first FPV flight with my plane today. I didn't get to far out. I want to wait until I get the EZOSD installed. But only one problem,
no one has any in stock right now... AARRGGHHH!!!!
I will try to load the video this weekend sometime.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
So how's she feel? Can't wait to see the video! I flew three batteries Wednesday. Haven't had time to do anything with the videos yet. I haven't even seen them myself yet! Lol I'm hopeing to fly some flights this afternoon sometime. Charging bats and tx now. I have a birthday party to go to though. I'm going to take my QAV and fly her there! Lol

Tasajara

That will be nice... I like to fly different areas, new places to see... :)

Oh yeah the plane felt good... It does feel different taking off, unlike the quad where punch it and your off the ground. I guess keeping it straight on the power up to take off is the toughest to get used to.
But then again it was my first FPV flight with my plane.
It will get easier...

Here is my first FPV Plane flight with my SkyWalker.
[video=youtube_share;VFlD7NZy_QI]http://youtu.be/VFlD7NZy_QI[/video]

Last edited:
Top Bottom