Quad New FPV Quad Build ...

Tasajara

Well I am in building mode again.... I saw a set up I liked so I thought I would try to build it from scratch.
I bought some G-10 fiberglass/Multipurpose Garolite from McMaster-Carr.
I ordered it thur evening and got it Fri evening...BOY that was quick. I also got a DJI clone from RCTimer so I could use the arms for my build.

So far it is turning out pretty good. But my saw blades don't like cutting G-10, I wore out 3 blades to get the plates cut.
This is the parts I will be using, you can see what I made for my template laying on the G-10

01 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

Here is how it looks after I got it all cut.

02 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

This is what I used to support the rear, all thread and nylon nuts covered with heat shrink.

03 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

Here are the top and bottom pics....

04 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg05 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

I did change the red arms to be the front....

As you can see I made the front camera mount wide enough to use both cameras.
GoPro HD Hero and My DX201 DPS FPV camera
The DX201 will do much better in low light unlike the GoPro also want fade out in direct sunlight.

06 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg07 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

So far the weight is just over 13 oz

08 - FPV Wide Arm Quad weight.jpg

01 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

02 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

03 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

04 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

05 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

06 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

07 - FPV Wide Arm Quad.jpg

08 - FPV Wide Arm Quad weight.jpg

Lee

Looks good. Very similar to the Hovethings FPV kit. My only concern would be the uneven arm causing weird aileron issues, not being a symmetrical design. You could extend the rear frame to arm mounts to give a square motor pattern. I'll be very interested to see how this goes, as i'm doing a mock up wood frame to test with a similar design layout.

Tasajara

I don't think it will be a problem with the uneven arm placement. I have 3 other spider quads, and the only difference is is just a few fractions of an inch.
As you can see below with the quad placed over one of my other FPV quads. It will not be much different than a Tri copter just more stable with the wider arms in the rear.
I will find out how it does once I get it all wired up.... and I will be sure to let you know.

09 FPV size.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah thanks for the kind words... :)

09 FPV size.jpg

Lee

The one underneath has a square foot print which obviously has been proven to work. I'm just taking a guess as to what might happen with the other one. Do you think the two rear motors will have to spin faster to balance the uneven leverage/load? Will this not cause funky yaw issues?
Look forward to the maiden flight.
All the best

Tasajara

I don't think it will be a problem with the uneven arm placement. I have 3 other spider quads, and the only difference is is just a few fractions of an inch.
As you can see below with the quad placed over one of my other FPV quads. It will not be much different than a Tri copter just more stable with the wider arms in the rear.
I will find out how it does once I get it all wired up.... and I will be sure to let you know.

View attachment 2422

- - - Updated - - -

I goofed and did a re post

- - - Updated - - -

I will have to get it all wired up to see what happens... I get what you are saying...
This is my first lay out so I may have to tweak it a bit as I go....

The quad was modeled after this quad...
TBS DISCOVERY

Here it is in flight...

TBS FPV quad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tasajara

Do it this way... don't ask if you can because they say no LOL if you order it you will have it, and all they do is complain a bit but you will still have it...
I am glad my wife don't care what I buy.. :) with in reason ... :p

Top Bottom