450 New Bird

Slobberdog

Well it happened I started it,

Following the manual sort of.

Started with the head. Head thread locked, swash thread locked and both ready for installation, not going to put head on shaft until I level the swash, one thing I liked is the turnbuckles on the dfc links, that will make such a big difference.

image.jpg

Next came the frames, with a check of the main gear to see if I would need a spacer, and yes I do,

image.jpg

A neat idea on this is the spilt able servo-main bearing mount,

image.jpg

Then put the second piece of the frame on, at the moment all screws need locking and is just dry assembled for now.

image.jpg

Checked the front tail assy block, and thread locked all the tail box,

image.jpg

Last job was to ca the bearing on the torque tube so it would dry for tomorrow's instalment.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Slobberdog

In the morning will do some more, but it feels lovely to work on, quality and thought that's gone into it is wicked. It's the simple things like the canopy mount long grub screws have hex holes in one end so you can stop them from spinning as you tighten up the canopy mounts.

Not looking forward to the 3gx though, or the wiring, I think the wiring is gonna have my OCD in bits by the end.

Will need to make a swash levelling tool as they did not have one in the shop today, but that will be easy enough.

Slobberdog

image.jpgRight then a few more pics for the addicts on here, lol

Here's the removable pitch and aileron servo mount assy

image.jpg

Due to being able to remove this block I had lots of room for putting the motor in,

image.jpg

Servos fitted, I changed the wiring slightly as was not to happy how close they were to the servo arm

image.jpg

And this is how I intend to level my swash, fingers crossed it will work.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Slobberdog

Well got to a good point it's all together but, and its a big but, I have got a blow rx gutted, so build on stop till I can talk to horizon hobby in the UK on Monday.

Have it set with 2 satellites at the moment but as only ds6i this is not gonna work.

Gutted

Slobberdog

Well one can call oneself a muppet, put a bind plug in and voila! It's working ok again, thank goodness now lets see if it will work when I connect it up.

Slobberdog

Got the 3gx to light up and the rx and satellite as well, phew. Finish assy tomorrow put correct dean plug on the esc, then into set up of 3Gx, lol I think that will be fun, will be watching Tony's videos now I think.

Slobberdog

Well here she is nearly done, just got to thread lock all the frame screws and set up the 3gx,

done step one on the dir to get all servos going in the right direction,

and I have got 11 - 0 - -11 collective and 8 degrees cyclic with only a little 2 turns down on all servo rods.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And now back to Tony's video for inspiration on the rest of the 3gx setup, I am glad I am a shinny top otherwise I recon I would be pulling my hair out with this one I think, hard to read manual and do the setup at the same time, correction hard to read that manual anyway, would be a lot easier if it was in only English, pages and instructions would look a lot less confusing and cluttered.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Slobberdog

Well done elevator and aileron end points and directions, easily done when the video is playing next to you, while your doing it,

Now on to the rudder, :hopelessness:

Tony

Staff member
On the rudder setup in the 3GX, you may have to do it a couple times, because you only have 10 seconds between commands until the gyro jumps out of the setup mode, and initializes again. Watch the rudder setup part a few times, then give it a go. Let me know if I can help you with anything. However, I'm about to head to bed, so it will be later on tonight before I'm on again.

Graham Lawrie

Looking good Kev:) Like i said ,i struggled to get my head round the 3GX as it was my first real build. Tonys video helped. Any questions just give me a call, but looks like you are managing fine:)

Slobberdog

And it's done, all that's left to check is blade tracking,

3gx was not bad to set up, apart from rudder stops, 6 I say 6 times it took me lol,

Spooled up to check motor, and everything just sounds a bit tight, but works nice.

So here it is complete.

image.jpg

Maiden vid might have to wait as weather a tad wet over here, Wednesday night in the hall might be the first chance to get the skids off the ground,

- - - Updated - - -

Did you update the 3gx to 3.1?

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good can't wait for the maiden vid. Haha....

No have left it at 2.1 for now, will get used to it and then update the firmware.

image.jpg

Top Bottom