New 3GX first flight

Ken Jackson

Good news, after all my worry about programming my new 3GX it was actually pretty easy. First hover flight was great. I dont know if its the DFC head but the blade sound is different. Deeper sound!

The manual recommends like 60-70 for Gyro setting. I ended up with it set at 52. If it gets warm enough today I may go for a longer test flight.

Thanks Tony for your 3GX set up video.
Thanks to stokke for the information on roll rates and limits.

IMG_0953.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I know I still have flybar blades. In case a tipped over on test flight, I didn't want to break my brand new 3G blades.

Does anyone have an opinion on using these blades on a flybarless helicopter. I know these are 10g lighter and center of gravity is towards the hub. I'm sure it will have a different feel. Anyone have experience or opinion on that topic?

Ken
:congratulatory:

IMG_0953.jpg

Westy

LEGEND
i would be interested to hear ..... as I do not see any difference in the 2 blades apart from what the "Experts say" I have not seen any comparative data or videos showing before and after and noted changes etc.....

I am on the fence until I see the data and real evidence that there is a real difference ... apart from propaganda of course.... PROOF PEOPLES ! ;)

I changed my 600ESP to DFC recently as most of you will know ... .and I definitely heard the pitch change of the sound at all speeds .... must be the difference with no flybar cutting the air (well that is my theory).

Tony

Staff member
Yes, FBL blades are slightly more heavy and have the CoG farther out to help the gyro. But, people will fly the stock blades with success too. However, the heli will be a little happier with the 3G blades. To answer your question, you will be fine with the stock FB blades until you get the feel for it.

Westy

LEGEND
would be nice for someone to do a comparison ... do the CG with one .... then the FBL blades ... then show the two together with thier marks so we can see what the real difference .... is it 10mm further out ... or 20mm r 50mm???? and how can you actually tell whether they fly better.??????

no data .... no sale :)

Ken Jackson

Well had one and a half really awesome flights with my new 3GX. Flips and rolls so easily, glad I made the change. However, it seems I must have cross threaded the link from the main blade grip. Half way through my second flight was flying in a straight line about 20-30 feet up when all of a sudden the heli took a sharp bank left and headed for the ground. Not sure what I did other then hitting the throttle before the ground. But this was the least amount of damage from a crash I think I ever had.

IMG_1049.jpgIMG_1050.jpgIMG_1052.jpg

Took the skids clean off the bottom, no frame damage at all. Other then the front gear set the entire tail boom assembly was unharmed. Took a small chunk out of one blade. Main shaft and spindle shaft seem to be unharmed, will know for sure once I spin it up again. The only other damage was all 3 cyclic servo gears stripped. So since I rebuild my servos as opposed to replacing I would have to say considering the height and speed this was a minor crash.

Still not sure how I cross threaded the link but it is the only explanation for how it crashed. Like I said it was flying great! Was told by a buddy that I should either slightly grease or oil the threads before screwing a brand new ball link on.

Oh well, yet another lesson learned.

- - - Updated - - -

Those photos were right side up on my computer? They were taken with an iPad?

- - - Updated - - -

Hit the throttle hold before the ground.

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Westy

LEGEND
wow ... looks like those Skids did all the cushioning and snapped BANG! ....... shame about the heli though..... hope you get it in the air again soon .... are you sure the mainshaft and feathering shafts are not bent? what about the TT gears ..... no teeth missing off any of the gears......

canongraphy

Ahhh Ken man I am sorry to hear that! Is that all the damage? as Westy asked, I would be surprised that was all and I hope that is the extent, that's enough!
Hope you get it in the air again very soon.

Ken Jackson

Themain and anti rotation gears were good except the Torque tube front gear set, anti rotation gear. All T tube gears are good and the tail rotor shaft looks good. I'd be surprised if the main wasn't bent but it certainly passes the hand spin test. I will take them both out and roll them on my hardwood stool. It is great for finding slight warped shafts. But as always I'll now hen I spin it up. Parts enroute but promised to not touch my hobby till the weekend. Lol

Top Bottom