Never Do this at home! - ROOF FIRE!

Westy

LEGEND
hey all .... wow I am such a SCHMUCK!

SOOOOOOOOO LUCKY!!!!!!!!

I am doing some renovating and removing some walls etc and making some changes. So, I was grinding some nails off on the top plate and saw some embers.....

Turned off the grinder and .... WOOOFFF the Rok Wool (basically insulation in the roof made of small paper ground up and compacted and pumped into your roof).

Embers were coming down on me..... I was like...... NOOOOooooooooooooooooo......

So I in a mad panic ..... and brute strength (Full of adrenaline) ripped an entire sheet of ceiling sheet down and most of the smouldering stuff came down with it. The embers were flaming up on the floor and the hot embers were rising and catching the roof again !!!!!

NO FIRE EXTINGUISHER EITHER!!!!

SO I sprinted to the Kitchen ... and Ripped 3 pots out of the cupboard and turned all the taps on full bore.... Filled one pot and put the next in place ... and sprinted to the fire scene. First one went on the ground fire .... Sprinted beack ... Switched pots again ..... and hit the roof hard out ... back and forth and back and forth .... about 10 times.

I was lucky enough to get it under control and just to be sure I poured water into the surrounding cavities and pulled all the rokwool out of the area (about 2 square meters).

Man I am still shaking with the adrenaline rush. i am off to get an extinguisher and fire blanket right now. I did not even think about the paper insulation catching alight ... and it happened sooooo fast!

Lucky I have done fire training .... another 2 minutes and I would have been calling in the Big Red Trucks for assistance and kept battling with it..... Hope I got it all ... cant see any smoldering or smoke at all and I am checking every 5 minutes or so.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, your house is possessed. First it draws your Gobby into it to help you remove a wall, now a fire. I would move ASAP!!!!!!!! lmao. Glad you got it under control. Been there in my garage. MEK and a welder do NOT go well together lol.

Westy

LEGEND
whew ..... still feeling the adrenaline die down..... bought a fire extinguisher and fire blanket.... could have been too little too late. I am grateful for my lucky escape. someone is looking out for me :)

Karubah

I tell you Westy! You MUST have run over a black cat. LOL. First it's the Gobby into the house, next it's your thumb and now the fire. That's 3 strikes, so hopefully that's it for the bad luck. The last thing you need is a hole in the ceiling in the middle of winter.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Whew! what is going on there brotha? you need to put all work and fun(HELI) away for awhile, break out the BBQ pitt with some beer and chill...and make the wife lite the charcoal for ya. you stay away from fire.lol

pvolcko

Wow! Glad you got it under control, Westy. They've been pushing that paper based insulation here in the states for a few years now as part of a greening America, energy efficiency push. Never seemed that smart to me to be pushing something that easily lit aflame. It's easy to install (usually blow it in), but a couple errant sparks and forget about it. Also not good if you have any leaks or moisture issues.

wolfman76

Wow super lucky my friend that it was worst then that. Way to think fast buddy saved your bootay!!!! Is why i keep a good chemical fire extinguisher here never know when you will need it... It's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have... And if all else fails here i have a 75' garden house that is always attached just outside my front door i just go grab that bad boy...

Westy

LEGEND
yeah cheers fellas.... funny thing is .... I have all my fire tickets hahaha and did not even have a Fire Extinguisher or fire blanket!

Anyway I have them all now and have set up smoke alarms and tested them in all the bedrooms, hallway and living room

Slobberdog

dude I hope thats enough with the fires, first the Gobby battery now this, glad you got it under control though.

Lee

Lucky escape mate.
Surely the insulation should been impregnated with some sort of fire retardant? Any ceiling insulation should have gone through fire tests and self extinguish in a set time.
Glad it all worked out ok in the end.

treff

Just think.........................................................................ten Goblins scorched beyond the pale..........................................................just one word here and it begins with I and ends with ance..............say no more Brian.
It was ten Goblins? or was it twelve?LOL

Graham Lawrie

Close one Westy:) I have seen dust explode after being ignited by a welding rod into an 8ft ball of fire. Glad you got it under control. I thought you used Goblin for house renovations:) LOL . Safety First big guy.

stokke

Sounds like a lucky escape buddy. Good to hear it went well this time! A fire extinguisher is a must have. Here in Norway it's mandatory by law to have one in the household.

murankar

Staff member
I almost positive it is treated, just for that reason. I saw a Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe was blowing in that stuff and they were explaining just how great it is.

Top Bottom