General need some advice

danny

can anybody recommend a good starting helicopter for a beginner like me. I know they say parts make the helicopter so having good parts will mean I have a good helicopter. I wasted so much money on helicopters that had cheap parts(, meaning cheap servos) so I learned getting a helicopter with metal servos would be more practical.

I was buying helicopters from X Helle.com, which was the worst thing I ever did LOL but I did not have any guidance and any time I googled helicopters X Helli was the first one that popped up. I did not put much research into what I was doing and that was a big mistake. But I am ready to do the research time and the effort to become helicopter flyer and Tony and this site is a great place to start and the people that did respond to my threads fighting get back to it is only because I did not know how LOL still learning the site. I know I am pathetic LOL but a good six channel 3-D helicopter is really one I want and and I am ready to spend the money on it.

Danny,

PS Tony I finally got the parts in for my six channel razor helicopter. You know the changing of the receiver and to get rid of that TX receiver. They are crap LOL. So I am in a try to follow your instructions on that video, which I hope I still have LOL and get that up in the air.

I want to thank everyone for all the help in every aspect of needs, especially working of this site to little complex. But sooner or later I will get to know the site and the people on it much better.

Thanks again and everyone have a good day.

Tony

Staff member
I would go for the Align T-Rex Sport. It's a belt tail with a flybar head (I think) and is the best for those that are looking to get into ccpm heli's. It's a whole nother world from Dynam. If you are looking for flybarless, which is a little harder to setup since you usually need a computer, then I think you can get the sport with a DFC head. But, I would suggest a FB helicopter to start with.

Derek

I have moved this thread to the "Helicopter Beginner Help Area" for you Danny! If you are going to be asking questions about helicopters, this is the section of the site where this thread should be. No worries buddy!

Also...I read in your post that you said you are pathetic. I've never met you, I don't know who you are....but no one in here is pathetic. You are simply a beginner and you are learning. The more you learn, the better you'll be. We are here to help you learn. Again...no worries!

So...let's get on with the helicopter advice. You are looking to spend a bit of money on a "good" rc helicopter. That's great! I know I had to spend a bit of money to get my first "good" helicopter. The bigger the helicopter, the more stable it is going to be. For the time being, stay away from anything smaller than a 450 sized helicopter. They are twitchy and as a beginner, you aren't going to have the reaction time to recover. Start yourself off with a 450 or 500 sized helicopter. I started with a 250 sized helicopter and it was a nightmare. I, then, bought an Align Trex 500e Super Combo and I love it. I still have it today. Now...the parts for the 450 are less expensive than the 500 parts, so after a crash, the repairs are cheaper. There are many 450 sized helicopters to choose from. Many RCH Members have at least one 450 sized helicopter so there should be tons of advice, in that regard.

Also...if you don't have one....get an RC Flight Simulator for your computer. I have flown on Realflight and Phoenix. Both are great sims. Realflight is a bit more costly but the realism is awesome. Phoenix is a great simulator. It's the one that I have and I use it regularly.

Good luck buddy!!!

murankar

Staff member
SOunds like your ready for a CP heli. All I can say is buy as much helicopter as you can afford upfront. Putting money into a high quality kit is the best thing you can do. I have learned this through trial and error (actually xheli, EXI 450). That kit was not to bad but it was not the greatest either. As for a good size to start with well that depends on you I wold start either with a 450 or a 500. Brand well you cant beat Align for the price and with what you get in the kit. Now I have not see or heard a lot about the Horizon Hobbies E-Flite 300X or 550X but again they are great beginner setups.

The only reason I say Horizon Hobbies is because you will/should have local hobby shop support and the repair costs are manageable.

Yeeh the 450 size is great to learn with and with the help of Tony and the guys from RC Help u shouldn't have a problem , I have the Align 450 T-Rex plus and with the toning down of the radio settings can fly it perfect as a beginner , hovers all round including nose in and gentle circuits are becoming the norm , it hasn't been easy but with perserverance and determination I'm moving forward and progressing , Align are great quality and spares are very available and reasonable , good luck and let us no what u decide

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I also have a couple of Walkeras and although I'm not impressed with or would not recommend the 450 size I have a v120do2s and it's a great little Heli , it flys very stable in or out doors (with no wind) and has been a great little learning curve for me

Top Bottom