450 Need lots of Help Please beginner

mirrorcarp27

Hi it's been a long time since I have tried to get my Tarot 450Pro Super Combo FBL set up but not sure what I should use. At the first attempt I was using Tarot ZYX 3 AXIS GYRO with software via Laptop
but was having problems setting this up with this GYRO. Now I am using a kbar v2 5.3.4 pro k8 3 axis gyro flybarless system with software via Laptop. When I was using Tarot ZYX 3 AXIS GYRO I could flip the switch on my Spektrum DX6i called (P) Gear/Flight Mode this would show up in the software and on the unit with a LED light and would make the Rudder controls different like not going back to centre until new signal was given?. Now that I have change this to the Kbar when I do the same thing flipping the switch (P) Gear/Flight Mode it shows up in the software that I have flipped the switch but it doesn't do the same thing as before it always goes back to centre on the Rudder so I am not sure which one to use I have been watching loads of Video's and been reading the forum pages for info help as I am a new beginner to flying helicopters I got this kit about 2 years ago and it's still not been in the air yet. I also got my first Flight Simulator called ACCURC which has helped me with the flying experience but have crashed a few times and not costing me in repairs what setting should I use in my TX as a beginner when I do take this bird out for a maiden flight any help would be great at the moment I going to take the head off and check all my linkage are the same length and going to check the swash plate is level

murankar

Staff member
If I am reading right your trying to get rate mode and head hold mode setup?

First you need to map the gear channel to the tail gain in the sofware and you would need to map the rate/headhold switch to channel 5 in the radio. Its possible that the second step is done from your last set up. With the Kbar you would be better off assigning your flight mode switch to bank switching and have different tail settings that way. This will also allow you to have multiple setups on the Kbar.

With the advent of FBL controllers such as the Kbar/Vbar/Neo, iKon/Brain, Skookum, Spirit and 3 Digi rate mode is used only for scale flying. If your looking at a mechanical setup then adjust the tail blades to 0 degrees of pitch. During setup of the tail on Kbar/Vbar/Neo when you enter the tail setup the servo should center automatically. Once this is done adjust the push rod so the blades are at zero. If you have the tail rotor parallel to the ground then fold the blades up. If you look down the blades they should be in line with each other. Vbar/Neo requires about 3 degrees of pitch against torque, or the blade closest to the nose leaning slightly towards the boom.

TO finalize your setup you can do an auto trim flight with the Kbar/Vbar/Neo. Since I have the Vcontrol I can force activate that mode on my Neo. With yours you will need to enter that mode while powering up the heli. With throttle hold engaged turn on the radio, plug in the model and wait for the swash to jump a couple times then sets to center. Once that is done your in auto trim mode. Hover the heli about 4 feet off the ground on a windless day. Give very small deliberate corections as needed to get the heli to hover in one spot. If the tail drifts then give deliberate snall inputs to get the tail center again. the Kbar/Vbar/Neo will automatically program in vales for cyclic and tail. After about 2 minutes land and reboot the heli with throttle hold on and the stick at its lowest point. This will take you out of auto trim. Your heli should be stable enough at this point to try pirouettes, if you can do them then give it a try and see if it rotates flat. If not the re trim the heli.

As for assigning the flight mode switch you will need to do that in the software. Again its been awhile for me since I run vcontrol and the radio is ready to be used out of the box. I dont have to assign the switches in the manor or reasons as you do. My channels are mapped already and all I have to do is tell the Neo what switch has what function and things just work.

I hope this helps if not I am sure Steve/Smogie will elaborate where I fell short since he still flies kbars and vbars.

General info on bank switching: https://www.vstabi.info/en/node/1055

Wicked clown showing more setup stuff for bank switching: https://youtu.be/FpjCya4XTh0

Last edited:

mirrorcarp27

Hi murrankar thanks for your help I don't know about rate mode and head hold mode what's this for I have already checked my Spektrum DX6i called (P) Gear/Flight Mode switch while I have the Helicopter connected to the software via Laptop and when I flip the switch it showing up in the software under AUX Channel so what setting should I use in rate mode and head hold mode?

murankar

Staff member
Thats your Rate mode / head hold mode. In rate mode the tail will always snap back to center, where as in hrad hold mode the gyro is working to keep the nose in a constant heading. In rate mode all the gyro is attempting to do is keep the nose from drifting further of course. On specktrum if you go to the gain screen and flip the switch you will see an indicator jump between the two numbers. Anything <50 is rate mode, 50 is neutral and anything >50 is heading hold mode.

Now rate mode a few years ago was use only for set up and for scale flying and that was it. To be honest you don't really need it once the KBar is setup.

Personally I don't feel you will need rate mode unless you plan on flying a Bell 222 or a UH 46 (scale birds). I would also focus on getting your bank switching setup. That's going to be of more importance over Your Rate Mode/Head Hold switch.

Last edited:

Smoggie

Probably at this stage I'd recommend to keep the setup as simple as possible. The simplest option is to simply forget about rate mode on the tail, as Uri said, no one really uses that these days except old school flyers who learned that way. The default setup in the software is heading hold (HH) mode so that's what I'd advise to stick with.

Bank switching is a nice feature but possibly complexity that you don't need right now. The simplest setup is to assign your gear channel to tail gain adjustment. this allows you to adjust the responsiveness of the tail gyro from the transmitter. To do this in the Vstabi software set 'Aux->Gyro gain', like in this screenshot:

gyro%20gain.png

gyro%20gain.png

mirrorcarp27

Probably at this stage I'd recommend to keep the setup as simple as possible. The simplest option is to simply forget about rate mode on the tail, as Uri said, no one really uses that these days except old school flyers who learned that way. The default setup in the software is heading hold (HH) mode so that's what I'd advise to stick with.

Bank switching is a nice feature but possibly complexity that you don't need right now. The simplest setup is to assign your gear channel to tail gain adjustment. this allows you to adjust the responsiveness of the tail gyro from the transmitter. To do this in the Vstabi software set 'Aux->Gyro gain', like in this screenshot:

View attachment 15972

Many thanks for all your help I have already done this in the software set Aux,Gyro,Gain to the Gear channel on my TX however when I flip the switch from position 0 to position 1 it shows on the software under the Aux Channel but the Rudder on the Helicopter is still going back to centre position when I let go of the left stick and not staying were I moved it why's that so I don't think it's working right?

murankar

Staff member
That's because your gain in the radio is under 50. Raise it to around 60 and use that as a starting point.

[ I thought ] On Kbar though you have to use a check box to put the heli in rate mode if I am not mistaken. I believe the gyro defaults to head hold.

I did some further digging over at RC Groups. It appears that Rate mode is set in software not the rdaio.

Now as far as being able to adjust the gain in the radio Smogie is dead on. Do not use bank switching and set it to aux channel. To see if this is working like it should plug the heli into the pc and power up. ensure either your motor is unplugged or you have throttle hold on.

Once the kbar and vstabi are talking to one anther, look for two green boxes in the top left of the window; you can test. Now in the radio go to your tail gain screen. Start adjusting the gain up and down and watch the slider on the screen and see if it goes up and down with your adjustments.

In this mode you can not use the slider to set gain points. You can only use it as a reference to see what the actual gain is doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom