General Need help - No first flight - Heli won't get off the ground for first hover

Morelight

Fearless Freep
all the servos appear to be working fine. not worried about the throttle, I have throttle lock on the controller. i can put the heli back on the test stand and re video both sides using stick positions you guys want to see. then i'll say which movement i'm on, do it a few times and then move on to the next stick movements etc. that way you can see both sides/swash/head movements with specific commands. i would be more than happy to do this tonight, if it will help.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Disconnect your motor. You do not need the blades spinning around. Your problem is that the swash is not moveing!! I can't see that your servos are working if the swach isn't moveing. That is what the servos do! Move the swach up down and all around! Move your throdel stick up and the swach should go up. Move it down and it goes down move the other stick and it should tilt according to stick movement servos are not working when the swach just sitting there. Your problem is to figure out why just my 2 cents! Lol

Morelight

Fearless Freep
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A6egx62tppw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:apologetic:

Tony

Staff member
on your collective, that front swash link is reversed. Now it's starting to move the swash up though. And it could be this heli, but your right and left are backwards from what I have seen on the heli's I have flown. May want to look into that.

Adn what do you mean "being a pain"? Never a pain man, only the helicopter can be a pain hahaha. Laugh it off bro, you are closer to getting this in the air than you were last time!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yeah, it's the servos reversed bud.... :) ....reverse that one channel that commands the servo that sits on the right, track the wire to the rx and that'll tell what channel to reverse. You are Lucky that the heli didn't self plow and self destroy with the servos reversed!

And dude! You are making good quality videos, and very detailed too. Go to the posts I did one year back, when I was getting my first collective pitch heli.. There I didn't have a cam or anything, and my video making skills were awful, I wrote awful long posts with bad descriptions ... Lol even that wasn't a pain... and people helped me then too... :)

Being a heli addict means we love to troubleshoot helis.. Be it ours or someone else's... ;)

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Thanks for the compliment Gaba. Yes I saw your videos. I've only done 2 videos lol. Its the camera that does the good job. Its a Canon Vixia HF M40 HD, with internal flash drive. Awesome camera's.

Thanks for telling me about the reverse. Still not sure which servo, since I filmed rear, left side, right side. When I filmed last night, channel 6=pitch was reversed on the Tx. Is that the one?

Another question about pitch though. The main rotor is supposed to spin clockwise right? When the head is spinning, and you add collective to get the bird to hover, the mixing is supposed to also move the swash so that the leading edge of the rotor blades will tilt downward to bite more air ? ie: a negative angle to provide positive pitch?

Or are the blades leading edge supposed to turn up at a positive angle to provide positive pitch?

I don't consider myself to be mechanically gifted with complex linkage machines. First half of my life was going to school and learning things in 2D. Science and computer crap etc. Then I went mining a jackleg for 20 more years, and enjoyed that a lot more.
My point though, is that book learning has its place, but is no substitute real world experience and years of been there done that, especially with helicopters:highly_amused:

The first winner of Canada's Greatest Know It All, which just ended the first season, is a cool older guy named Ted, with a grade 9 education (which has nothing to do with intelligence), worked all over the world doing some impressive jobs. There were a few science people and engineers that got beat out, just because they really have never been out there doing it.

I think I talk too much. Must be cabin fever lol.

Tony

Staff member
When the swash goes up, I think, the trailing edge should go down, and force air down to the ground providing lift. Like I said before, I have seen heli's where the swash goes up, adn it produces negative pitch. the one you need to reverse is the servo that is connected to teh front of the swash. If you reverse that one, you should have correct collective. But, you will need to reverse your aileron channel as well since it was backwards. Looking from the back of the heli, right aileron should tilt the swash to the right, left to the left. And when I say to the left, think of the marble on the glass. If you tilt it right, the marble will go right if the swash was the piece of glass.

Gaba, one of the reasons I created this forum was because on other forums, people were being bashed because of grammer, bad english skills, or just plane asking the exact same question over and over. I will never bash anyone because they dont' know a computer like the rest of us, I would rather teach them, and they will learn after a while. It's internet, not a class room IMO. And that is what I think sets RCH apart from all other forums out there. I will not allow anyone else to do this either. Keep flying!

Lee

Ok i'll put my input in. :D The aileron is reversed. The swash should tilt in the direction of travel. That is a definite as Tony and the others have said. On Pitch input it looks like the swash moves up on onside but not all together. I think there is a mixing issue here.
The collective servo in the frame should move the swash up and down, but i can't see from the video if the ail/elev servos play apart in that or not. First priority is to get the swash moving in the right orientation through rev servos.

Last edited:

RomHeli

Hi Guys - Collective pitch CAN be so very confusing to Noobs so here is a tip I learnt all those tears ago - I hope it helps:

Positive Pitch = Leading Blade (Thick) Edge = UP, Trailing Blade (Thin) Edge = DOWN - Generates Ascent = Positive Pitch

Negative Pitch = Leading Blade (Thick) Edge = DOWN, Trailing Blade (Thin) Edge = UP - Generates Descent = Negative Pitch.

Do so wish I knew more about these Moderm Computer Radios -- must look deep into this to help out everyone here if I can.

Top Bottom