ESC Mystery Cloud 50A ESC programming w/external BEC

sarconastic

Has anyone ever gotten one of these to program using a card. or does the external BEC make it not work. I tried using my programming card but it doesn't even light up when I plug it in.

It isn't a big deal since the default settings are exactly the settings I need for my 450, but Would be nice if it was easier to change settings than using the transmitter.

WOody

Lee

So you are powering the ESC with a battery and plugging in the servo wire to the program card?
This ESC doesn't have an internal BEC right?
So when you plug in the ESC to the card its not giving it any power.
If this is all true, you need to power the Program card with a separate battery.

murankar

Staff member
Find a way to tap power out of the external bec without destroying the power lead. That should give you the power voltage that should be safe for the card. I dont think the card can handle more than 5 volts.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

sarconastic

Hmm that is wild. All 3 wires come out of the BEC so I figured it would just go right through like the ones with the built in BEC. I will give it a try tonight. Maybe I could just put a receiver pack on it. I even thought I might have to tap into the 3 wires before the BEC and solder on a pigtail for programming and power the programmer from a receiver pack. Just wasn't sure if this model was programmable with the card or not.

Thanks

Woody

Lee

The Program card should have a port for attaching a battery right?
This is for use when you don't have an internal BEC in the ESC.
Make sure the battery is not more than 5V as Matthias said.

sarconastic

This one doesn't have an internal BEC but it is attached to the external BEC. direct wired. I actually bought this one because it has a higher current BEC for use on my 182. But all three wires are coming through and it supplies power to the receiver using the same plug I put into the programming card. I have seen these same esc's that have an additional set of wires with a servo plug coming right out of the esc. So I am assuming the one from the esc is going to the receiver channel 3 and the other is being plugged into the battery port. But not this one. I could probably remove the signal sire on the outside of the BEC then add the other wires for the servo channel to the esc and see if it would program that way.
20140322_123217.jpg

Not a huge deal yet but would be nice to use a programmer on it.

Woody

20140322_123217.jpg

Lee

Ok so it does have a BEC, just not inside the device.
There is a Mystery Cloud ESC Opto version that has no BEC at all.
Have you measured the Voltage coming out of the BEC to see if its working?

sarconastic

Its working, it powers up the 450 nicely. This is the one that I found the cap with the hole in it and had to solder in the new cap then re-shrink it. So I was concerned about it working too. But no power indication at all when I plug the card into it. It is the same card I use on the Mystery 30A esc with great success. It may just not be programmable with a card, at least through the BEC. I have another one I could try but this one is working great otherwise.
Not sure.

Woody

Last edited:

Lee

Found this if it helps.

Option 1: Battery Type (music+1 beep)
1 Short+1Long Beep > NiMH/NiCD
1 Short+2Long Beep > 3S Lipo
1 Short+3Long Beep > 4S Lipo
1 Short+4Long Beep > 5S Lipo
1 Short+5Long Beep > 6S Lipo
Option 2: Brake (music+2 Beeps)
2 Short+ 1Long > No Brake
2 Short+ 2Long > Soft Brake
2 Short+ 3Long > Medium Brake
Option 3: Throttle (music+3Beeps)
3 Short+ 1Long > Soft Acceleration
3 Short+ 2Long > Medium
3 Short+ 3Long > Hard
Option 4 : Throttle Range (music+4beeps)
4+1 > Auto Throttle range
4+2 > Manual set Throttle range
Manual throttle setting: when select this option. The ESC will memory the Max/Full throttle
when you enter the programming mode and the Min/Lowest throttle point when you exit
programming.

Lee

In all the write ups I can find, it doesn't mention anywhere, that it can be programmed by card, only by stick.

sarconastic

Thanks Lee. yeah I found that info somewhere too. I really just want to be lazy on this one and program it with a card LOL. I suppose if I HAVE to I will go through the steps.

Woody

Lee

Theres only four things with the option to change.
Should take two minutes LOL :D

sarconastic

I know but even though I am a musician I am very visual oriented. LOL.I want to SEE what the settings are and push a button to change them.
I want it to hook to my Computer and use software to edit it. But I want it to still cost $14.00. Not too much to ask I don't think. :drools:

Woody

murankar

Staff member
Yep, oh how i learned that lesson. Now that i have a castle i cant think of ever going back.

sarconastic

Oh so ya had to go and throw that in there didn't ya, thanks a lot man...now I gotta get me one of :twak:those. SHeesh. LOL

Woody

murankar

Staff member
I have a scorpion commander sitting around also. Its a 45 amp with a ir program card.

Top Bottom