Projects My Wren44, Trex800 turbine project

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well, after check and re-check, bout ready for a maiden. here's a link to the first test start. Pardon the language...

Edit:
Hey dude, video was cool, but sorry, we can't have it on the site with that language.
Get us another clean one ;).
Awesome machine :)

Last edited by a moderator:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Awesome machines! I haven't forgotten to post I just have had some hard times getting the engine tuned so it will start easy. With lots of help from Wren I did get a maiden hover in last weekend. I will defiantly post the next video when I get it. I'm waiting for the final touch, a custom canopy for it:thumbsup:

holtneil

If you love the sound of these try this one bell 430 made by LX MARC this has the Jet Cat motor the heli airframe and body is £5995 the jet cat is approx £2500 watch in HD turn the sound right up you even hear the electric motor turning the turbine over at the end to cool it off

Last edited by a moderator:

trainrider06

Wow! That's just all around cool! Good looking heli, great detail, and that sound is cool!
I noticed the head rotates counter clockwise why is that?

Last edited:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Update on my nightmare, I have sent ALL my electronics back to Wren for testing. Seems there is some strange stuff going on with my engine... When I started this thread I never thought it would be such a "project" Anyhow, some day ill post some flight pics...

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well, I've had a few electrical items fail and they sent me new stuff no problem. Lastly the fuel pump stopped pumping and we found out that the ECU isn't sending any signal to the pump. So rather then send me another pump they wanted all the stuff back less the engine it self. I'm hoping this will be the end of all the problems. I did get 2 short flights on it and it really feels awesome. But its 5 months now since I started this endeavor....

holtneil

Hi Rodney lots of scale helis have an anti clockwise rotating main blades cool heli just the cost puts it well out of my range , cant wait to this build flying , sorry to hear you had to send it all back , but these need to 100% right from the off , Wren will get it sorted mate they are first class

Heliman450

Now there's a project for the future! My good lady is hooked on it. Shame my flying club doesn't allow turbines. New heli, new club??? Who knows!

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hi all, so I have abandoned my turbine project after many months. Way to long of a story to tell...
T

Heliman450

Hi all, so I have abandoned my turbine project after many months. Way to long of a story to tell...
T

Hi fran11784, I'd be interested to know what went wrong, a summary will do rather than every single detail. It's all part of the learning process for me and others. I had an idea to go the turbine route in future but need many things to come together first. I'm thinking not for at least two years ahead and then that the project could take easily a year. Maybe your experience will be valuable to avoid the problems or to review the idea altogether.

Hope you have something else to keep you occupied instead.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hi fran11784, I'd be interested to know what went wrong, a summary will do rather than every single detail. It's all part of the learning process for me and others. I had an idea to go the turbine route in future but need many things to come together first. I'm thinking not for at least two years ahead and then that the project could take easily a year. Maybe your experience will be valuable to avoid the problems or to review the idea altogether.

Hope you have something else to keep you occupied instead.

Sure, I have a whole fleet of helis, I just have always dreamed of a turbine. Let me say this and keep in mind this is IMO. First, I may try again in the future. The number one biggest problem was communication. I decided to buy my turbine factory direct, "UK" to save some money. Not a good idea. Wren turbines are a work of art as are all miniature gas turbines. I had a slue of electronic problem's from bad solenoids to fuel pump issues to even a ECU malfunction. Every email I sent to them was at least a week of waiting for a reply. And then it was like they don't read their emails completely or something. So, if venturing into turbines, try to buy USA so you can at least call them for help. Wren turbines are now only available though the UK. In their defense, they are going though a company change so maybe it will get better in a few years. Second, I bought Revolution Models conversion kit for my Trex 700N. It was junk. Next time I will either scratch build a air frame or, contact Chris Burgan. He has a dedicated airframe for the Wren 44. To be honest I thought it would be: "build the model and fly it once a month with no issues". Not me, I was constantly having to tweak settings. My advice, subscribe to all the turbine threads on all the forums. You will learn a lot from them. And do lots of homework. I did get to fly mine twice and it was amazing! It felt great in the air but then it wouldn't start the next time. There are guys out there with hundreds of hours on their turbine so take my experience with a grain of salt. Ive been looking at Jetcat but going to take some time to regroup before trying turbines again.
T

Heliman450

Thanks for the feedback. As I'm in Switzerland, I doubt I'd be sourcing anything on that scale from the U.S.A. I'm struggling at the moment just to get a gyro from Helidirect LoL!!!!! Even the U.K. would be too far away, I'd rather pay the extra to be able to follow up 1-2-1 with the seller so I know of a couple of places in country. Lots of research and advancement to do beforehand.

Did you sell it or get a refund??

Top Bottom