My wife had her rc debut today

pvolcko

Trim that puppy out for her. Looked like it was running backwards a bit on her all the time. :) Cool beans!

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, watching more. Must have been unlevel init that was leading to it.

wolfman76

happy birthday jordan that thing looks fun.... hey you ought to check walmart for her next 1 they sell one here called a sky viper stunt quad with a 6-axis gyro and accelerometer it is like double or triple the size of that airhogs quad might be a good step up for her and maybe a little more stable to flyi will post a pic of it in second

wolfman76

Here you go Man I saw it it is very cool...

ForumRunner_20131013_202700.png

i would recomend charging the battery in the quad using the usb charger it came with that way you get more flights from the tx batteries

ForumRunner_20131013_202700.png

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Hey Jordan, happy birthday! Turns out that you and I have the same birthday!

I'm really happy to see you liking this little quad. One thing that you need to tell Derek to do is to take that ratchet out of the throttle. That is one thing that is a must remove with a quad or helicopter. Airplanes it's okay, but anything else and it needs to go. So make him do that lmao.

Make sure to work on orientation, that is the most important step. From there, it's a whole nother beast.

I'm really happy to see another female in the hobby and loving it. In no time, I see you flying a 450 size quad, or even helicopters! Might just have to send you a little present so that you can fly. I will talk to Derek about it :chuckles:

Sparse

Here you go Man I saw it it is very cool...

View attachment 8924

i would recomend charging the battery in the quad using the usb charger it came with that way you get more flights from the tx batteries

no offence but Derek i would not recommend this, for one good reason. if something happens were you getting parts ?I would stick to what me you and tony were talking about because the quality, support, and part availability is top notch. remember in this hobby you get what you pay for. and i think thats the truest statement that can be said. and last but not least happy birthday to the Mrs.

Derek

I am thankful that Kyle took the time to share his opinion/suggestion and I appreciate the picture that he took. This looks like a decent quad. However, i have decided that if/when my wife is ready to upgrade, it will probably be something that I've built for her with a kk2 board and decent motors, esc's, and props. All easily replaceable.

I'll take another video of her flying her Air Hogs quad around. She really is enjoying this little thing.

Sparse

to be honest air hog seems to be pretty reputable, the only thing I meant was get something you know you can maintain. and fix if need be. I just don't want to see you or anybody for that matter spend good money and be disappointed is all.

Stambo

Happy birthday Jordan, looks like you're enjoying it.

Build her one and let her help.
A well set up kk2 is pretty damn good for the price.
And put some lights on it for night time flying :)
It opens up a whole new lot of flying time.
I don't know about over there but here the night is awesome for flying as it gets so still.

UFO, or not? - YouTube

Derek

Since I'm at work, doing a multi quote takes too long on my phone, so I hope this post makes sense.

Sparse, I completely agree with you. For sure!

Tony...when I first got into rc helicopters, I bought two 4 channel coaxial helicopters. One for me, one for her.I think she lost interest in that heli because she kept running into the walls and breaking stuff on the heli. She really seems to have an interest in the quads, so that's the path that we are going down.

Stambo...I have an idea in my head for her and you basically described my idea. A quad with the kk2 and some pretty lights, too.

Sparse

hey derek i was watching the video. the quad kept going backwards. by any chance you trim it out, cause i really dont think it was her making it go backwards. so if you did not. it could probably use some trim.

Derek

Yes....the quad kept going backwards. Unfortunately, there are no functional trim switches on this quad nor tx. It wasn't until after that video that I remembered that this thing needs to be initialized on a level surface. It's quite obvious that my sheet of wood on the grass was not level, lol. This is a learning lesson for both of us. Once this quad is initialized, on a level surface, it is actually quite stable. Not entirely hands free, but much more manageable.

murankar

Staff member
Happy birfday. She needs an account now. Should have gotten her the bat bone v-tail. That would have been way cool.

Again happy birfday.

Derek

Thanks Matthias! You are right about the bat bone v-tail. It would be very cool to have. It's funny that you mention that particular quad. If my wife stays interested in her little quad and does well with it...she has asked me to build that one for her. Hmmmm, I might have to build two, lol.

murankar

Staff member
If your going to do 2 have her build hers as you build yours. Get her in feet first, although you may have to do the soldering. Just thought of this, depending on when you build them you will have to do the soldering. Safety for the baby.

Awesome family time.

Derek

I would have no problem at all letting her build hers as I build mine. It could definitely be a good time.

wolfman76

Yes....the quad kept going backwards. Unfortunately, there are no functional trim switches on this quad nor tx. It wasn't until after that video that I remembered that this thing needs to be initialized on a level surface. It's quite obvious that my sheet of wood on the grass was not level, lol. This is a learning lesson for both of us. Once this quad is initialized, on a level surface, it is actually quite stable. Not entirely hands free, but much more manageable.

If it still travels backwards a little could use aluminum foil and double sided tape applied to three nose to even out weight for it to hover level... and I didn't take spars rd s comment as offense I agree with him airhog is very good with customer support... I have like 4 our 5 off their little helis 2 of which are the sharpshooter helis my kids love flying them although they spend more time on the ceiling then actual flight.... lol.

Top Bottom