700 My T-Rex 700X Build

Heliman450

Hi all,

You may have noticed elsewhere that I'm now the proud owner of a brand new T-Rex Dominator 700 X Super Combo. A big step for me emphasised by a promotion to the 700-800 section of the Forum :arms:

I'll carry out the build of the kit in this thread and then review where to go next based upon views. Plan is to buy a Bavarian Demon 3X gyro and a Jeti Rex 7 receiver. Pictures of the box and contents to follow....................

Smoggie

Phil,

looking forward to the build.. Just one quick observation.. I guess that you do appreciate that the Demon 3X FBL has no 'self leveling' or 'rescue' functionality? To get self leveling and rescue in the Demon range you would need the more expensive 3SX. If you have been using self level on your Spirit equipped 550 then jumping to a heli without it will come as a bit of a shock and might not end well... It makes a very big difference to how the heli handles.

PS....As as already mentioned elswhere the Demon 3SX is already replaced by a totally new FBL called the Axon. The new Axon as well as being the latest and greatest actually has a lower list price than the old 3SX (thanks to competition from Brain and Spirit I guess) so it would seem to be the one to go for if you want a Bavarian FBL with self leveling.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Phil,

looking forward to the build.. Just one quick observation.. I guess that you do appreciate that the Demon 3X FBL has no 'self leveling' or 'rescue' functionality? To get self leveling and rescue you would need the more expensive 3SX. If you have been using self level on your Spirit equipped 550 then jumping to a heli without it will come as a bit of a shock and might not end well... It makes a very big difference to how the heli handles.

As as already mentioned the Demon is to be replaced later this month by a totally new FBL called the Axon

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reminder on the 3X. I was just reading through the 14 pages of my earlier thread and came across your reference to the Axon. I'm not expecting to rush out and buy the gyro anyway, so will probably get the Axon in that case.

Off to sort the photos.............

Smoggie

PPS... didnt the 700X Super Combo come with the 'BeastX Plus' FBL included.. or did you take the version of the kit without it?

Heliman450

Here goes for the sneak preview, sorry that all the goodies aren't out of their packaging.

Box 01.JPG Box 02.JPG Box 03.JPG

Box 04.JPG Contents 01.JPG Contents 02.JPG

Contents 03.JPG Contents 04.JPG Contents 05.JPG

Oh man! Oh man! (ladies, too if viewing). Those blades are immense! All those shiny bits and pieces, WOW! I can hardly wait :drool:

- - - Updated - - -

PPS... didnt the 700X Super Combo come with the 'BeastX Plus' FBL included.. or did you take the version of the kit without it?

Correct, no BeastX Plus. I'm not sure the old ticker could stand getting all the stuff on one day anyway, so waiting for the Axon will probably be beneficial to a longer life :warning: :lmao:

Box 01.JPG

Box 02.JPG

Box 03.JPG

Box 04.JPG

Contents 01.JPG

Contents 02.JPG

Contents 03.JPG

Contents 04.JPG

Contents 05.JPG

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
WOW, what a sweet bird you have their phil :drools:. Let the fun begin :popcorn:. Enjoy your self and plenty of pics, please :biggrin1:.

Those blades are immense! All those shiny bits and pieces, WOW! I can hardly wait :drool:

- - - Updated - - -:

If you think the blades are immense wait until you hear them spool, they are intimidating. I guarantee you will be backing up as they spool, at least I did going from a 450L to my 700L.

Heliman450

If you think the blades are immense wait until you hear them spool, they are intimidating. I guarantee you will be backing up as they spool, at least I did going from a 450L to my 700L.

I'm lucky that my transition is only 550 to 700. I'm sure that it would be quite nerve racking to go 450 to 700 :chickendance:

Tony

Staff member
You have not started on that thing yet? I would have already had it built and in the air. Of course, knowing me, I would fly it once then stick it on a shelf. A rather large shelf. Okay, the entire wall of a shelf. And it would never fly again lmao.

hurry up!!! :biggrin1:

Heliman450

You have not started on that thing yet? I would have already had it built and in the air. Of course, knowing me, I would fly it once then stick it on a shelf. A rather large shelf. Okay, the entire wall of a shelf. And it would never fly again lmao.

hurry up!!! :biggrin1:

Sorry for letting the side down Tony and being such a wimp. I wanted to get my outstanding 'To-Do' list finished first otherwise I'd just stop everything in favour of my new beastie. I'm pleased to say that my 550 is ready for a new testing session at the field (hopefully tomorrow, weather permitting) and that the troublesome DX6 is now working fine and the Blade 450 is also ready to go. I just need to arrange a training session with my farmer friend before satisfying myself that he can actually be trusted not to break it immediately.

Heliman450

Hi all,

So I've checked out the assembly instructions a couple of times but can't find out where this fits in..................

Towel_S.JPG

Any suggestions much appreciated :lmao: :lmao:

Towel_S.JPG

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I just finished one of these a few weeks ago. The wiring was a bit of a challenge. Getting the servo leads past the main gear and pinion takes some planning. I suggest you look at this while the frame halves are still apart, you'll see what I mean...
T

Heliman450

I just finished one of these a few weeks ago. The wiring was a bit of a challenge. Getting the servo leads past the main gear and pinion takes some planning. I suggest you look at this while the frame halves are still apart, you'll see what I mean...
T

Thanks for the tip, good point there. I was checking out the instructions and thinking to go carefully on this as I won't be using their gyro or receiver.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah, in Align's defense, I built a kit version and used Savox servos that had shorter then normal leads on them. So that put the plug right under the motor mount and there just wasn't enough room under there for a extension. They fly great tho, incredible power! Be safe

Heliman450

Yeah, in Align's defense, I built a kit version and used Savox servos that had shorter then normal leads on them. So that put the plug right under the motor mount and there just wasn't enough room under there for a extension. They fly great tho, incredible power! Be safe

Hi fran11784, to get my thinking straight, I've been checking out my flight battery wiring layout as I also want to change all my connections over to Supra X including my 550. Any chance you could help out with a photo of your cable runs and lengths? It would be much appreciated.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
OK here are some photos. I always mount my ESC on the side like this in case of a crash I can unplug the battery's quickly. I put some arrows where the servo wires are zip tied on the inside of the frame. Hope this helps.

photo (56).JPG

photo (60).JPG

photo (61).JPG

Heliman450

That's great, thanks. Up to now, I hadn't been thinking of mounting the ESC on the side so that's something to consider. Up to now, I've always had the ESC receiving the flight battery supply from the front, but of course why not from the back. Have you noticed anything detrimental for CoG as the ESC is almost in the neutral position rather than more forwards?

Good to see is that there is a hole in the frame opposite to the tail servo so that it can be checked during the set-up process unlike my 550 (mounting it with the arm to the side instead of upwards also helps).

Top Bottom