My T-Rex 500 work in progress

zenmetsu

Man, I am getting this toner transfer thing down to a science now. Can't wait to get access to the color laserjet at the office tomorrow. :evil:

IMG_2239.JPG
IMG_2240.JPG

I think that this receiver setup should work just fine. The fun part will be routing wires since the main gear on this thing is rather formidable. :shocked:

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

zenmetsu

I did the base color coats and then hit the whole canopy with a couple clear coats. Then I print a mirror image on the paper with a laser printer and cut it so that there is a good 1cm margin around the image.

If I am working with a flat surface or one with a single curve, such as a cylinder, I simply use masking tape to hold the paper firmly in the correct location. If I am working with a double curve, like a sphere, then I will get the paper slightly wet and then form it to the canopy and work out the wrinkles and then secure into place with masking tape.

I then hit the back of the paper with the tip of a heated iron, working carefully so that I don't press down too hard while moving the iron, thus ripping or moving the paper. Gentle pressure is all that is needed and I usually go over the whole thing a few times, giving each spot about 20-30 seconds of direct heat.

Once this is done, I apply water to my fingers and rub the paper until it disintegrates and leaves only the toner stuck to the paint. I then remove the masking tape and continue to rub the area with a moistened thumb until I get as much of the paper off without going too far and rubbing the toner off. Once the area dries, the paper might be visible, but as long as it is invisible when wet, it should be that way once clear coated. Once I am happy with the area, I hit it with clear coat.

zenmetsu

Having worked balsa/monokote extensively in my younger years, I would say that the iron would likely burn it. :(

You could, however, print onto transparencies and trim them and attach with a clear adhesive, then clear coat over them as long as your clear cote was not destructive to the transparency or your substrate.

zenmetsu

So, colored laser printers work just as well!

No, the Castle Creations logo here was a decal from my ESC package, not a transfer. If I had known how well the toner transfer works, I would have just printed up a CC logo and used that instead.

IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
They make a glue that you can get at any LHS you put the glue on then take any picture you like and place it on the glue squeezing out and air pockets. Then clear coat over the top! This is mostly for clear Rc car bodies. But it should work or anything.

zenmetsu

I will have to check that out. In the meantime, I think that a scaled up EggBot would be perfect for designing helicopter canopies. It might be worth looking into. :)

Top Bottom