My Real Helicopter Flight

Ken Jackson

Schaumburg, Illinois July 11, 2013

10 minute instruction then 30 minute flight that ended up being 45 minutes. I flew more than half the time, probably all but 10 minutes. He controlled the rudder which was fine with me. It was an incredible experience and especially after the last almost 2 years flying RC helicopters.

On another note, my daughter just gave birth to my second grandchild. Mom and baby are both fine and there are no complications.

Ken

What A Day!!!

:tranquillity::pride:

Flew A Real Helicopter Today Schaumburg, Illinois - YouTube

Adam

Dude i was just in schaumburg today to think you were flying above me. Great job this is on my list so prices would be great to know. I will be going to Indy Monday so if your near I-65 Let me know. Pm your number if early aft works

Derek

That's awesome, Ken!!! You got the fly the Trex 8000FBL!!! I'd love to get a chance to do that.

Congrats on the new baby!!!

xokia

Discovery flight? I've done that in a plane but not a heli yet. I'm curious with your skills as an RC heli pilot did it help?

Did you ask if you could flip it inverted? lol I think the only heli of inverted flight is the redbull heli. But it would have been funny to see the pilots face if you asked him :)

Stambo

Wow!!!
I am so damn jealous right now.
Of the heli flight not the grand child. :)
Oh and congrats on the grand child.

Tony

Staff member
congrats on both bro. for me, I had better not have any grandchildren for a VERY long time, and you will not get my fat butt off the ground in anything that flies lol. I just won't do it.

Karubah

They are great to fly. The sound and vibrations coming up through the seat of your pants. OH WHAT A FEELING. I got around halfway through my heli licence flying a Robinson 22 until I ran out of money when things changed. I wish I could go back to it but my eyesight and reflexes are to slow now.

That first time flight with yourself at controls will be a memory you will never lose, like the one of having a grandchild s birthday on the same day. WELL DONE!!

murankar

Staff member
Congrats on both. I can't wait till the day comes when I can fly a real help myself.

You got the moves like Jagger!!! :lol:

Ken Jackson

Congrats on the flight and on the new baby.

Thanks Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Discovery flight? I've done that in a plane but not a heli yet. I'm curious with your skills as an RC heli pilot did it help?

Did you ask if you could flip it inverted? lol I think the only heli of inverted flight is the redbull heli. But it would have been funny to see the pilots face if you asked him :)

Yes flying RCs was a help. The biggest reason was understanding the concept but more importantly is the touch required. It takes a lot more stick to bank my RC then this helicopter. Very touchy. He told me hold the stick like the stem of a Champagne glass. That worked until a couple thermos bumped us around a bit then I had a death grip on the stick. You can not over react.

Regarding inverted flight, I did ask and he said there are a lot of modified Heli's around the world. He is friends with the Red Bull pilot. When he is near Chicago he stores the Red Bull at this airport. He also has flown the Red Bull. Said hovering inverted looks really cool but doesn't feel so cool when your doing it. He said loops and rolls are like a roller coaster other then your in free air.

Ken

Graham Lawrie

Brilliant Ken:) Soooooooooo pleased for you on all fronts:) I loved it when I used to fly gliders so many years ago:)

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl
Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh
Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna
Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís,
Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú.

Which translated means:

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

God bless:)

Ken Jackson

Brilliant Ken:) Soooooooooo pleased for you on all fronts:) I loved it when I used to fly gliders so many years ago:)

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl
Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh
Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna
Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís,
Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú.

Which translated means:

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

God bless:)

Thank you, I needed that. How did you know? Funny how God works sometimes. I just got a speeding ticket on my way home from work, and I'm still not used to not having anyone waiting for me when I get home. Even though I have all these things in my mind I want to do with my time, I spend too much time feeling sorry for myself. Not a real social person so I don't have a lot of friends and my x girl friend didn't help with that either. She didn't trust me let alone anyone I wanted to do something with so I am lonely. I know this will pass, it has gotten some what easier but thank you again for the kind words.

Ken
:tranquillity:

Top Bottom