My RC heli journey so far

Slobberdog

Well its been about 8 months so far for me, started just after the new year, when I bought a Trex 100x this little heli gave me my foot back into the hobby, being winter in the UK and its size I thought it would be good fun for in the house, this was a fight, in hindsight I would have been better off going for the Msr but the Trex gripped me more, if it did not have the legendary tail issue I probably still would have it.

At the point of buying this heli I could not fly or even hover a heli, my orientation control was non existent, I was a complete noob, the Trex 100 however taught me how to hover, hover side in and basic moving around, but most of all thumb control and finesse,

While I was learning with the 100 I had the opportunity to buy a 450 clone, which I did, got it in the air in early March, but not without its problems, spent more time building and swapping out parts than flying so decided it had to go, but before it did mid April I bought my first love, my blade 130x, then in early May got my Trex 450 DFC, and sold the clone,

So now we are at the beginning of May, I have been flying my heli's when I can maybe 2 batteries worth a week on a Wednesday night in our school hall, and my flying is still well hovering, but I can hold a good hover at this point, not taken the bird outside as not liking the wind or cold to much, and as the flying was confined to the 450 clone for most of the time until I got my 130x anyway this was all the practice I was getting,

Once I got my 130x however the amount of practice hovering I could get started to go up as I started to use the garden as well, I spent many a battery getting my orientation control correct and progressed to being comfortable tail in nose left and nose right, but not so with nose in, and tbh I still don't really like nose in, but roughly the end of May to mid June something clicked and I started to be able to see what the heli was doing and not just trying to keep up with the reaction corrections that I was,

At this point I got the Sim, yes I know it would have been better to get the sim in Jan when I started but I wanted a heli, this helped me lots and I could start to practice my bailouts without putting a heli in harms way,

July or the end of July anyway saw the end of the school hall being unavailable for 6 weeks, so it made me get outside, I found a field close to my house where I can practice and I take my daughter with me to watch, but getting to use somewhere that is open gave me the opportunity to start to fly properly, up until this point the helis had never really been above my eye level, its been this period that I have taken my biggest step forward in my flying, now doing simple circuits with turns and backwards flying and some nose in, but no I am still not comfortable with nose in, during this period I have mainly flown my 130x my 450 really has not had a look in,

I like getting on the sim, I like flying out in the open and this hobby has bitten me big time,

On another note I found this forum early on in my expedition and have to say without the guidance and help I have received here I would still be getting nowhere fast, thanks all for that help, I hope I can pass it on one day,

I always said I would take my time learning to fly, and as you can see I am, you can learn better at your own pace, everybody has to start somewhere, but this has been my journey, its just the first in many a step, but one thing is for sure, I can't wait to walk a few more.

Last edited:

treff

Great stuff Kevin sounds like your having a ball. Next the big 700 they say they are easier to fly LOL I don't yet get on with the sim
but I only have Helix and can not seem to get into it at all much prefer doing it for real. I may get 130X when the next birthday comes around.Cheers

Top Bottom