450 My noob bonehead move !

DoninIA

Finally took the training gear off last night and flew a couple batteries.
What a difference.
Everything went great. I will have to practice more hovering as this thing is a completely different bird now.
Everything I've been reading says to get the training gear off as soon as you can.

Anyway in the mean time I have been putting another HK450 kit together.
My thought is that with two heli's, if one crashes, I can still fly. I'm sure everyone thinks the same way. :courage:
Been working on bird #2 today and the only thing left to do tonight was to set the pitch on the blades, BUT I was so excited about flying with no training gear last night, I decided to go flying with bird #1 instead of finishing bird #2.
So, grab bird #1, my TX and head to the field.

Started my usual procedure, power on TX, plug battery into heli, wait for the gyro to initialize....ooopps tail slider seems to be a little sticky, acting weird.
Messed with it a while and got it loosened up enough to fly. Figured I would tear #1 down after I get #2 in the air the next couple days.
Here's where my normal procedure got side tracked.
Hooked the battery back up, set the heli down, spooled it up, flipped to idle up, all of a sudden heli takes off in forward flight, goes inverted and lands on the head button just as I hit throttle hold.
My first thoughts are what the heck just happened. Looked at the heli, didn't see to much out of place other than the damage.
Bent main shaft, bent tail boom, stripped main gear and I think I ruined the one way bearing.
Could not figure it out.
Got back to my vehicle, went to turn off the radio and noticed it was still set on HELI #2. Dang...........
I believe I have the aileron servos set up in reverse on one of the heli's.
Looking down on the swash on heli #2 I have channel 1 in the 2:00 position, channel 2 in the 6:00 position and channel 6 in the 10:00 position.
On heli #1 "I think" I have channel 1 and 6 flip flopped. This occurred to me today when I was setting it up #2 and I didn't follow up on it.
If I would have, I think either model memory would have flown just fine.

So, lesson learned.
During my normal procedure, after I plug the battery in, I check the cyclic for movement on the swash and also check the rudder stick to make sure all is working correctly.
Next time, when I get side tracked, I will start at the beginning of my procedure.
Also, for now, I will check which model I have loaded on the radio before I even leave the house.
Looks like #1 is going to get a little more tear down than expected. :(

Don

Derek

On no!!! That sucks!!! There is no worse "error" than the one caused by yourself, lol. I think we've all done that. Those moments are called "brain farts." I hope you can get it repaired easily. But just as you said...be sure to check the cyclic movement on the swash and your rudder before you go out "busting a move" only to "bust up parts."

Good luck buddy!!!

Slobberdog

Sorry to hear you had a problem, seems like you was just a bit eager to get it in the air.

That's why I like the model match on my Dx6i my birds won't initialise the gyros if it don't get a match.

DoninIA

I might have to look into the Dx6i Slobberdog.
Currently using a Turnigy 9x.
I like the programming functions of this radio, but I have already had to replace the gimbals with Hitec's.
I guess the benefit of this is that I want to slowly replace clone parts with Align parts, I just seem to be speeding up the process.

Don

EyeStation

I bet you are glad that did not happen indoors! Kinda nice to know about the model match in the DX6i too. I could not imagine the panic I would have been in.
Hope the repair time is swift.

DoninIA

I think I could rebuild this in my sleep now.
Slowly learning what parts I need to keep on hand.
I think the more I rebuild this, the more I appreciate it when it's flying.:adoration:

Don

Dirk

That sucks big time man! Always do a preflight and control check. The Spektrums are nice in the sense that they will do nothing until you have selected the correct model on the TX.

Top Bottom