My New Wireless Router

Tony

Staff member
Derek got me thinking about my router with his thread on interfering with the DX8 signal. I wondered just how much power this thing was putting out so I started looking.

But, lets not jump ahead of our selves. After the move, I knew that my old router, which didn't have any antennas on it, would not reach where I needed it to reach. Pretty much, I needed to send a signal through 4 walls, under a metal car port and into the "shed/office" where my computer is located. So I needed something powerful.

with my best buy card in hand, I walked in and told them "I want to see your most bad ass router that you have". The two guys looked at each other and one of them said, "Show him the Asus!". That's some good news lol.

We walk over to the isle and he pulls a box down. $200?!? for a router? Holy crap. ah well, I need it, I have 30 days to return it, lets give it a shot.

Got it home, setup was a breeze, and once I had internet, it was time to do some range testing. Now, we live on about 3 acres out here. I was able to walk with my lappy all the way to the end of the property and never lost a bar of signal. Now, at this time, I'm only going through one wall, but still. So, I did a test through about 6 walls and behind a car. I lost two bars, but my speed test showed I had lost nothing. I'm impressed!

So today I was looking through the router to see if it had anything that showed power. Under the wireless settings and in Professional tab, at the very bottom, it shows the power it's putting out. I'm pushing 80mw right now. Just below that, it states in yellow letters that I can go up to 200mw :shocked:

So if I ever have to send a signal into a bunker, I can do so lmao. This thing is a monster and I love it. No matter where I live, I will have this router, or one like it. $200 is a lot to spend on a router, but if you are needing max speeds for gaming or whatever, this is the router to get your hands on. I'm sold.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus---...itch/6639317.p?id=1218768193072&skuId=6639317

Stambo

WOW! 1300 Mbps over wireless, that's impressive.
Wasn't that long ago that gigabit ethernet was the FAST!! option.
Correct me if I'm wrong but that is 1.3 gigabit per second?

I need one now Tony and it's all your fault. :)

Last edited:

Dirk

Don't ever turn it off Tony. I've already hacked into you router and I am now using it to browse through Rc-Help.com. Pretty powerful. Crank up the power there, I am only getting two bars.

Tony

Staff member
I got it at best buy, not on sale. It was $199 at the time, and I had to have it.

Top Bottom