My new toy

Derek

It can't possibly be that hard. Just go to rc plane websites and look at the balsa planes. Google rc airplane air frames and airfoils. Get an image in your head, make some drawings, and go for it. That's how I came up with the idea for my 20 foot wingspan plane and so far, its looking great.

The problem is I don't know what type / shape airplane I would like, the last time I made a model plane from balsa I was about 15years old and
it was powered by a rubber band, covered in tissue paper with cellulose.
A lot has changed since then.
John

Derek

Surely alot has changed in the last 15 years, but the basics can't be that much different. Just take your time....do some research...put some thought into it.....keep asking questions on the forum. It will come to you.

The balsa scratch built kit that I'm planning on making is just a simple high-wing trainer...like a J3 Piper Cub
J3 Piper Cub.jpg

It's nothing "advanced"...no turbines, lol, (although a turbine powered Cub would be a sight to see, lol).

I'm not trying to force you into making your own scratch build plane. I'm just wanting you to put some thought into the "idea" before you discard it.

J3 Piper Cub.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Ideas are fun. Building something from your ideas is even more fun. Having a successful maiden flight, priceless.

Derek

Well, Tony...you just keep those "positive" maiden thoughts coming in my direction. We are getting closer and closer with my FB Albatross and I'm gonna need ALL the positiveness that I can get, lol.

Tony

Staff member
bro, the only thing that I'm worried about on that plane is the wing supports. If the supports can hold the wing, I have no doubt that this plane will fly. Sure wish that I was up there to help you out on the maiden.

Derek

Yeah....the wing supports have me a bit concerned, too. However, before any "air-time" is attempted, I plan on taking this plane to a particular parking lot...assembling everything...and just trying some taxi testing to see how the wings hold up. I'll be looking for excessive movement, flexing, etc. Of course, I will have at least 1 camera recording this event and we'll just have to see what happens.

I gotta say...it would be awesome if you could come for the maiden. I know the chances of that are very super slim...but it would be cool to have you here.

Tony

Staff member
What the hell is it with you and road trips lmao. That is a 20 hour drive up to where he is lmao. Well, might make it in 18.

Derek

Thanks, callsign, for suggesting a road trip....and how cool that would be.

Rest assured...I'll have as many camera angles as I can afford, including at least 1 "on board."

Top Bottom