700 My New T-Rex 700X Build

trainrider06

Phil "BNF" is bind and fly. As "RTF" is ready to fly.
The 700 looks good man, I know your kinda just taking your time with it, but I don't know how ya stand it.
I'd be itching to get it done!

- - - Updated - - -

Phil,

How is the 700X coming along? The dealers here were having a Halloween sale and my remaining willpower crumbled, my 700X 'Super Combo' arrives on Tuesday:biggrin1: I got it complete with the BeastX Plus, but that will be going on eBay. I've got a spare Vbar Silverline which I'll use on the 700X. It will be interesting to compare build notes.

Steve
Hehe I knew you'd not be able to resist! :)
You lucky duck!

Heliman450

Fancy wanting to buy one RTF (BNF) and miss out on the hours of touching it and admiring its shiny bits and pieces.

I can't imagine why anybody would want to rush the experience. The older I get the more I enjoy the whole thing, not just the end point. Who knows, it might even crash and then I'd have to start all over again :chickendance: :banana: :beerchug: :drool: :twothumbsup:

Building one is definitly better since most of the time when I get a used heli I end up tearing it down. The only 2 I haven't done that with are my 700 and 550 because they were both built by local hobby shop VBar reps so I KNOW they were put together right.

I wouldn't chance buying a used heli online and not going through it, no matter how clean and tight everything is.

Heli looks good. I just noticed that you fly a 500E too. You will be SHOCKED how much more intimidating the 700 is, physically and in the air.

Heliman450

Building one is definitly better since most of the time when I get a used heli I end up tearing it down. The only 2 I haven't done that with are my 700 and 550 because they were both built by local hobby shop VBar reps so I KNOW they were put together right.

I wouldn't chance buying a used heli online and not going through it, no matter how clean and tight everything is.

Heli looks good. I just noticed that you fly a 500E too. You will be SHOCKED how much more intimidating the 700 is, physically and in the air.

It's a 550E but I fitted a 600 tail so physically it isn't that different. The landing gear actually has a smaller footprint than the 550. Of course the blades, motor and everything are in a different league altogether so I'm really looking forward to the spool-up when it comes. My Forum colleagues will also have a ring-side seat when the video arrives here :biggrin1:

Smoggie

At the risk of getting ahead of myself I'll make sure to capture the maiden of my 700X in glorious 4K HD. Might be neck and neck between Phil and I as to who gets a 700X in the air first... I usually throw em together pretty quick but we will see how the mood takes me on this one.

I just realised as i was typing that i might be short of a receiver, so that may be the 'critical path' on the built.

At the risk of getting ahead of myself I'll make sure to capture the maiden of my 700X in glorious 4K HD. Might be neck and neck between Phil and I as to who gets a 700X in the air first... I usually throw em together pretty quick but we will see how the mood takes me on this one.

I just realised as i was typing that i might be short of a receiver, so that may be the 'critical path' on the built.
i didn't know you had one too!

Heliman450

I'm pretty sure my target gyro will be my long-lead item. Even ordering it early won't hurry them up. Right now, I expect to be able to film my maiden with the Soloshot 3 :banghead:

Smoggie

Looking good Phil, I just took delivery of mine but it will most likely be Friday before I can make a start on the build.

Heliman450

Looking good Phil, I just took delivery of mine but it will most likely be Friday before I can make a start on the build.

Hi Steve, I had a very busy day and something extra came up, too.

I checked out the drive train after fitting the tail and the motor needs to be backed off a little as it feels a bit snug but very smooth. The servo cables clear the main drive gear quite nicely in their current external position. I'm feeling quite pleased with it now. I need to go round and apply the thread sealer to those screws, which I don't expect to remove any more. I'm going to take out the tail again now that I know it fits ok and visit Hugo about the gyro. If it seems like the Axon you mentioned will take too long then I might 'bottle it' and go for the 3SX but he'll have to order that as he doesn't have any in stock.

My thinking is to gain experience of as many different systems as possible and the only way I can do that is buy them for my own helis plus any fixing of other people's that come my way. It's not what I would have chosen myself but the Blade 200 SRX from my farmer friend has given me one opportunity to delve into fixing something other than my own, actually, it's been quite interesting.

By the way, you were going to show me some photos of your wiring arrangement for the batteries. I'd appreciate it if you could post them up here.

Cheers.

Heliman450

So the deed is done! Now to start reading up on everything ready to get going again. My plan is to convert two of my 6 Cell batteries to the SupraX connectors and do the conversion of the 550 to the SupraX later. It means that I'll only have one set of flight batteries for the 700X but that won't be a problem in the short-term.

004_IMG_1414S.JPG

Off to do some drooling :drool::drool::drool:

004_IMG_1414S.JPG

Smoggie

Equipment straight out of the top drawer Phil! I'm interested to hear your report on the Axon, you must have one of the first units off the production line.

My build will be a little more bargain basement! I've got a couple of Lemon Rx satellite receivers ($8 each) and a second hand Mikado Vbar that I have in my spare parts box! It should work fine though, i've got the same setup on most of my helis. Batteries will be my Turnigy 6s 5000mAh that i use in my other 700 helis.

My wife Lynn is away this weekend so i'll get some beer in with a mind to have a hardcore building session.

Heliman450

Equipment straight out of the top drawer Phil! I'm interested to hear your report on the Axon, you must have one of the first units off the production line.

My build will be a little more bargain basement! I've got a couple of Lemon Rx satellite receivers ($8 each) and a second hand Mikado Vbar that I have in my spare parts box! It should work fine though, i've got the same setup on most of my helis. Batteries will be my Turnigy 6s 5000mAh that i use in my other 700 helis.

My wife Lynn is away this weekend so i'll get some beer in with a mind to have a hardcore building session.

Hi Steve, I'm too much of a newcomer to have any such spares in my bottom drawer. I've got a lot of stuff, which is probably just about useless now but I won't throw them away for a little while. Today, I did actually use a couple of Blade 200 SRX servo arms from my collection of bits I thought of as no longer necessary, so that's evidence enough for me.

I was looking for your wiring arrangement as inspiration. I just finished downloading a few images from the SupraX website that should prove useful to me. ESC Orientation_S.jpg The young chap who owns this beauty decided upon the ESC orientation that I showed in an earlier thread. Unfortunately, the left side isn't featured but another shot shows the motor wires with SupraX connections so probably just as I was thinking.

I'm not sure when I'll be doing any 'hardcore building' but my missus is in Zürich most of tomorrow meeting friends and getting our winter wheels fitted. I'll be starting off with some serious checks on mounting the Axon. I've already come up with some problems due to the positioning of the pins in the housing. Currently, there isn't enough play in the servo wires to get in without extensions from what I can see.

Cheers, but don't drink too much or you could end up with the biggest tail rotor ever on a 700 class :chickendance:

ESC Orientation_S.jpg

i just acquired two of the lemon sats, are they trustworthy?

Smoggie

I've notice a few people are getting on the Align 700X kick so I found this but not sure if this a good deal or not? T-REX 700L Dominator KIT Version w/ Motor (No Servos, FBL unit, ESC) RH70E20X - LowerHeli.com

It's a very nice discount. I guess it depends on how much you want the very latest version. The 700X is quite a bit different to the previous 700L. I'm sure you appreciate that the one you linked to is the kit version that comes with the motor and blades but you need to add your own servos, ESC and FBL.

Heliman450

Hi guys, it looks like a very good price for the basic platform. Of course as with all kinds of things these days as the makers pump out newer versions the suppliers are pushed to give discounts on older versions in stock. Provided that the buyers know what they want and are prepared to put the cash into what's needed to get it in the air that's fine and the total cost can probably work out better. This is particularly the case for guys like Steve who seem to have an endless supply of good stuff to use that they picked up for good prices or inherited along the way.

In my case, I wanted to invest in a different gyro to gain the opportunity of experience with the Bavarian Demon products as the main objective. With Steve's help, I waited a bit until the Axon turned up on the market. The package I got with the 700X worked out over $1000 less than what I had been considering based upon a Goblin, which as a kit was more than I paid for the 700X. I'm more than happy with what I got for my needs.

By the way, while we're digressing a bit, just look what someone went and did to my next object of desire...............

003_IMG_1413S.JPG

The landing gear is split on the right-hand side. Looks like it suffered a heavy landing. I've always thought that this design doesn't look like the best solution when someone comes in a bit hard especially with such a heavy bird. I was already giving some thought to it needing a custom-made item similar to those I've seen on camera carrying systems.

003_IMG_1413S.JPG

Top Bottom