My New Align 600 DFC UPGRADE - Test Flight!

Derek

Heck yeah! I watched this on Youtube already, lol. Looks like you did a great job! The heli looks and sounds great!

Westy

LEGEND
Cheers my man! took ages to get my head round the setup of the Gyro but I found the Easy setup table to be the easiest way 4 setup functions Swashplate, Speed Governor Set, Rudder set and Flight mode set.

Pity I found that at the end Lol .... but I am really happy with it .... it is so crisp and Stable

Westy

LEGEND
yeah .... just fussed like a mummy over her baby on the Swash levelling and then just did the simple setup (well it is simple now I have done it 5 times. the Hardest part was trusting the electronics were going to to stop the heli rolling over and smashing my pride and joy (Well my Ego realy Lol)

I am lovin it! - Best investment i have made in ages..... learning curve on the parts side though .... but it is all in the past now!

Graham Lawrie

Looking good:) Is it me or was there a lot of vibration in the tail at the start? And i have seen my 450 do that tip at the spool up? Cool the way the Mrs and the dog look totally dis interested in the whole thing LOL like yawn same old same old :)

Westy

LEGEND
Looking good:) Is it me or was there a lot of vibration in the tail at the start? And i have seen my 450 do that tip at the spool up? Cool the way the Mrs and the dog look totally dis interested in the whole thing LOL like yawn same old same old :)

I did see that too.... but I tried to simulate it again and it would not do it.... might try and back off the gain a little and see what happens

Westy

LEGEND
That is what I was thinking..... I know all is balanced and in perfect order including all bearings are done so it simply cannot be a mechanical issue.... just resonance....... which is normal on any heli I am sure. I just may have to spool up slower!

Lee

Mine has a bad vibe at 100% in the tail, but i know what it is. My bearings are shot :D

Westy

LEGEND
he he .... i have done all mine, tail, main and blade grips.... all new in the torque shaft too..... ... .So I know I would not have any vibes from anything.

Tony

Staff member
Something sounds off on that bird. Actually a few things. First is the sound of the blades. It sounds like one is cutting through the air while the other one is having to force it's way through the air. Giving off that thumping sound. Do you happen to have a set of Align blades to test out? Just wondering.

The second is the main gear sound. It almost sounds like the mesh it too tight. I'm sure you know this, but it's worth repeating for the newer pilots on the forum that read this, but make sure to check every tooth of the main gear for proper mesh as you spin the gear around. You should set the mesh at the tightest spot you can. However, I just watched my old maiden flight video of my HK600GT that I had and it had the same gear noise and I know the mesh was set properly. this only leaves one thing, a badly warped and cheap main gear.

Other than those two issues, the heli looked great in the air. And for those that don't know, you can spend an eternity making sure everything is equal and try to get rid of vibration, but all helicopters have a resonant frequency where the tail will shake. However, this one was pretty excessive and should be looked into. Could have something to do with the blades or main gear as mentioned above. One of these days I will get this 600NSP in the air and we can compare as I will have something to compare it to other than that Chinese POS that I'm using now...

Westy

LEGEND
Hey Tony .....

It is a brand new Main gear and the pinion tooth clearance is perfect, I have gone all the way around (did it a few weeks ago). I will have another look at the tracking as I was in a rush to get it in the air to see what it was like Lol.....

Will see how it goes :)

Tony

Staff member
Was this an Align gear, or one from a company like HK/Chaos/Tarot? Just wondering, might be useful to the 600N of mine. Of course, you can't hear anything over the engine on mine lol.

Westy

LEGEND
hmmmm .... it does have a weird twitch occasionally even in the air.

How hot should the motor get? After 2 batteries hovering the motor was very hot to the touch and was still 57 degrees Celcius with my laser temp gun about 5 mins after I finished.

Could it be the motor bearings perhaps? how many Gyro adhesive strips should I be using on the 600? 1 or 2? the old Gyro had 2 and a metal plate in between.

- - - Updated - - -

Was this an Align gear, or one from a company like HK/Chaos/Tarot? Just wondering, might be useful to the 600N of mine. Of course, you can't hear anything over the engine on mine lol.

Genuine align from my LHS.... got 2 in the bag.

Tony

Staff member
The motor should not be any hotter than what you can hold your finger on it for 2 seconds without having to remove it. this is a bad way to test since peoples pain tolerance is different, but it's a pretty good measurement.

the heli seems to spin free so there should not be any load on teh heli other than the blades. You may take the motor out and check the bearings to see if they are okay. They should spin very free and have no grit feeling in them.

One thing that can cause a hot motor is the pinion you are using. If you have went bigger than stock, that will put more load on the motor to keep teh head spinning and could overheat the motor.

Westy

LEGEND
It has a 14T on it..... I will strip the motor out and see if I can find an issue.... I have done every other bearing and thrusts and lubed them all including the torque tube bearings and torque gear bearings also

Tony

Staff member
From what I'm reading, the stock pinion size for a 600 electric is a 10T. That could be where your heat is coming from. It's just taking too much power to spin that head.

With your 14 tooth pinion and a 170 tooth main gear, that would give you a head speed of almost 2400 at 100% efficiency. They only suggest 2200rpm on the 600 head. Oh yeah, and this is calculated based on an Align MX600 motor spinning 1220kv on a 6s pack.

IMO, it's just a bit too much gear for that thing. but, if you post your motor KV and the number of cells as well as your main gear tooth count, I can get a better idea of what you are running.

Top Bottom