Setups My Head is spinning

SIXFOOTER

So, I want to get into FPV. I am building an I-Frame quad from Bluesky, got the stroke on that, I have all the motors, esc's and all of that. I have Bobs simple shield and an arduino board and have a Wii on the way in. Pretty sure I can get all that together without to much trouble.
On to the FPV stuff, I have read a Lot of stuff on the web, but there is so much to read, Dammit man. So I am looking for advice on the best rig to get that I can swap around some, I see rigging up more than one bird.
I have a DX6i transmitter. Looking at the Fat SHark goggles, immersion transmitters and receivers, OSD systems, HK versions of all that.....
SO, Goggles, whats the best setup?
TX/RX, who makes the best most reliable setup?
OSD system, What to get?
Ground Station, what do I need? I see there are tracking systems to make the ground receiver antenna track the bird, Very cool but where to start on that?
I can build anything, but I need some help sorting through all the options.

Thanks
Danny

WyDiablo

Just hang loose I"m sure that some of the experts will chime in very soon that know more about this stuff than myself.

Tasajara

Just staring out?.... If you use your DX6i the 2 freq. you can use are 900Mhz and 5.8Ghz for the fpv setup. Both have advantages, my self I like the 5.8 for the size of the antennas most ppl carry all the different styles of antennas.
Draw back is it want do well if you fly behind large trees,bushes ect. It works best LOS (line of Sight), you can fly behind some small stuff. But large items you might lose signal and get some flickers. Then just climb out to get signal back.
900Mhz works much better behind obstacles, less likely to lose signal. Only draw back is, the antennas are pretty large. A good patch paired with a Cloverleaf Ultra Antenna (RHCP) IBCrazy will work great. There are many other ones to choose from though.
My self I like buying my items from ReadyMadeRC.com He ships pretty quick and he is in the US that is if you are also. But it will make a difference on who has them in stock also... :D
Fatshark Goggles work very well. If you go 5.8Ghz you can pick up a full FPV setup for under $300. If you do want to do a ground station go for the 900Mhz. It is still is what suits you best and the way you want to go or expand.

As far as the OSD it is not a must just staring out, I flew for almost a year before I tried one out. On a quad it want be really needed because the flight times are not as long as a plane and you want tend to fly as high or as far out.
I don't use one on my xRotor IFrame. I have a TBS Core on my QAV just to power the Camera and Video TX from my flight pack.

Just keep it simple at first, get good at flying then step it up to add all the other goodies.

I use both 5.8Ghz and 1.2Ghz myself....
Here is my Ground station and a pic of my FPV Iframe. I do have full build thread on my xRotor IFrame HERE
Not trying to promote another sight, it was just way to much typing and trouble to do the thread all over again here. Plus I get lazy from time to time... :chuckles:

07 -  long range.JPGIFrame front.jpgIFrame Back.jpg

07 -  long range.JPG

IFrame front.jpg

IFrame Back.jpg

Last edited:

SIXFOOTER

Thank You for the come back TaSaJaRa, that helps some.
That last image, it looks like you have 2 antennas on your bird. One on the back and one behind the camera. Which one does what?
I have 2 different cameras to chose to use, I have a Hero3 and an HK Wing Cam2. Got to play with both and see which works better or fits better.
Nice that both have internal battery. There are a LOT of trees here in Florida so I may be better going with 900Mhz setup. How is the penetration with 5.8 using a dual receiver with a Patch and omni antennas? Anyone know?
Thanks for your help

Tasajara

the antenna in front of my quad is for the video, the rear is my 4ch EzUHF RX antenna. I have changed that RX out for the 8ch EzUHF Diversity Reciever.
I have had the 5.8 setup you were asking about. And it works good until you get behind large trees covered with leaves.
This was how my 5.8 setup looked.

5.8 diveristy setup..jpg

5.8 diveristy setup..jpg

Last edited:

Tasajara

Sure they can... Just check out the Manual They come with the 3.5mm 4p AV in/out port and the cable to hook it up.
I do believe all the FatShark goggles have the video output.

SIXFOOTER

Thanks Man. did some more searching and figured that out finally. Looking at an Attitude model, seems pretty flexible allowing the use of a dual receiver and the like.

Top Bottom