My First Video

Well this is not nearly as exciting as what most of you post.

Here is me hovering in about 12mph winds. It is edited due to some bad shaking from my camera man (son) but I am happy with it. I called it a day after a couple of packs because of the wind. I still get a little wag when I pitch hard??? Lower my gain still??? I hope to have some calmer weather and I am going to work on orientations more. Any advice on improvements I will always accept.

Thanks for watching. I hope to have better videos soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

pvolcko

Did you speed that up or something? Audio is very odd. Sounds like it is running at 5k rpm. Those short climbs are crazy fast too.

Good hovering! Try hovering with it quartering to left and right next. Work your way up to 90 degrees right and left. Then start some slow forward flight going back and forth. Stopping and yawing around at each side. As you gain confidence keep it moving through the turns and increase speed and make the turns wider. Look at that. You're doing figure eights. :)

Then nose in hover.

At least that's my suggestion. You'll find your own way.

Thanks Paul,

I did not speed up the video and I agree it does sound a little weird on the video. I dont believe it sounds like that in real. I checked my transmitter settings in the IKon and they all are at 100%

Could my throttle curve have something to do with it? They are at 0, 33, 56, 75, 85 and in idle up it is at flat 85

In idle up I have a linear pitch curve

12 degrees of pitch + and - with 9 degrees of cyclic.

Might just be the video, it was shot on a camera I have..

There is so much to try and learn with the CP. I will try to really listen for that odd sound tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Derek

Hi there, scott! I like how you started this thread by saying, "Well this is not nearly as exciting as what most of you post." You, then started talking about how you were just doing some hovering and stuff. Well...I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Are you ready? Hovering is how the rest of us got started, lol :chickendance:. Ok...maybe it's no secret after all. Nonetheless, I thought it was some great hovering. Thanks for sharing the video. Keep practicing and you'll be flipping and rolling in no time. I'm actually getting myself prepared for my first flips and rolls. I can hover real well, tail in of course, and the other orientations I can do pretty well but I've never flipped nor rolled my helicopters. This year will be different.

Good luck! Have fun! Keep flying!!!

Slobberdog

Nice job mate, the head speed sounds like my 130x wow, and climb out is really aggressive, like Derek said hovering and trying to keep the bird under control is where we all start, you will progress just keep at it,

I have been airborne for a little over a year now, and only this winter have managed to get to grips with turning nose in on the proper heli's could do it a while ago in the sim but it's harder in real life, lol

As Paul said if you feel comfortable with tail in start moving the angle of the tail, so you are like 45 deg to you then work up to 90 on both sides, but always remember if it starts going wrong always get straight back to tail in,

EyeStation

Good Job Scott. You will be surprised when it finally "Kicks In". This winter hovering the micros indoors and learning to adjust the TX to fit my stage of development helped me get airborne with confidence this past week.
Keep it up. And Great Camera Man! He seems to get excited with good landings.

Graham Lawrie

Good effort Scott:) the only thing I would add is practise a bail out position(tail in hover position) one that you can escape back to when things go wrong. Normally your comfort zone:)

Thanks for all the support and the great tips. I got to put some of them to practice today with a few more packs. The camera man is my 10 year old son and he does get very excited. I have one video where I have real bad wag and I land it safe, after he tells me that was real cool and I should do it again.. LOL my heart was racing so fast..

I started teaching him how to fly the 120sr. I get it in the air then I hand him the controls. He does pretty good with the hover but says the heli scares him and he would like to try planes. Made me think I might try to build one with him in the summer. Oh and he does pretty good on the sim with planes.....until it is time to land

Derek

If you are looking for a fun plane that is fairly simple to build, maybe try the RCH Trainer. YOu can find the PDF plans in the RCH store. The plans are free for download. The plane is made from packing tape, 3/16" foam board from the Dollar Tree or Dollar General, and maybe some bamboo skewers and hot glue.

cml001

Kool! Shes a scream'n! Is that the audio or??? Whats the head speed?... Good flight bud!

Kool! Shes a scream'n! Is that the audio or??? Whats the head speed?... Good flight bud!

I think that was the audio combined with the wind although the head speed does seem fast. I dont have a way to read it but the manual says something like 4000 and 65%.

Ken Jackson

We all started out something like that. In the beginning I think I spent more time crashing then hovering, lol

Ken

Tip: Orange tail fin blades. Really helps with orientation.

Stambo

If you want something for your son to fly, how about a small quad.
I have the WL Toys V959 from banggood and it's really stable once trimmed.
The later version V212 is even more stable.
They are reasonably robust and you can really throw them around once you get the hang of it.
(And they don't do too much damage if they hit you.)

I have a 5 year old currently learning how to fly the V959 and he loves it.
And having him enjoy my hobby is great bonding too.
He loves to watch and help me fix and build things.
(I sometimes wonder if he breaks things on purpose so we can fix them. :))

Top Bottom