Setups My first FPV set up

Lee

I have been wanting to do this for a while now, but never known what to buy. Its a mine field out there of good bad and really bad kit.
So after many many hours of looking and biting of nails, this is what i have ordered.
FatShark Dominator Goggles
5.8gHz Plug and play system from BEV RC
Sony 600TVL CCD camera

The Dominator goggles seem to be the bench mark for FPV, and as they will be with me for a long time, i wanted to get the best i could afford.
The R302 5.8gHz TX/RX system is a good entry level system that gets good reviews. They have it in Hobby King but BEVRC seem to be a good outfit, so lets see how long it takes to arrive.
The camera is highly recommended by Bruce on RC Model Reviews as THE best camera for fpv. And at only $50 with free shipping i thought i'd trust his judgement. I'm a perfectionist and would hate to be looking through the end of a bottle while flying. The dynamic range is suppose to be very good. So no worries when turning into the sun and loosing the ground.
Anyway i will give my opinion on these items once they arrive.
Very excited :)

Last edited:

Tasajara

Have you done any FPV yet? If not you will love it once you get past the first few flights and get the hang of it...
For those who try it the first time. Make sure to give yourself plenty of room on the first time out.
Fly in an area you know very well. From the air you will see things you may have never seen before or even know it was there.

I don't go to the flying field without doing at least one FPV flight...

Lee

It will be my first time. I don't know whether to put it on my plane or my quad first.

Lee

Order update.
BEVRC has shipped less than 24hrs from ordering. So already better than HK
Securitycamera2000 ready to ship.
Dominator goggles (in Spain) Processing. Goggles should be here by the end of the week

Lee

Goggles arrived. The good thing about buying things in your own country. To the door in 4 days.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338912027.394889.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338912069.508631.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338912027.394889.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338912069.508631.jpg

Lee

Great news. The guy i met 2 years ago flying FPV in the field by my house turned up on the beach today. :) I have been hoping to meet him again and just when i buy my FPV gear he shows up.
He has a lot of experience in FPV and will be guiding me on my set up and what to buy next.
Also he says there is an FPV fly in near here on the 23rd. So we will be going to that if the wind allows.
He regularly flys from here to Gibraltar 23km away with his FPV plane.
Watch this space.

Tony

Staff member
23km?! Is that his flying distance or is that how far away you are from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
Wow, what kind of wattage is he pushing and what antenna is he using?

Tasajara

Goggles arrived. The good thing about buying things in your own country. To the door in 4 days.
View attachment 2363
View attachment 2364

Nice Goggles I have the same set.....
I would do the quad first, just to get over the first flight nerves. It is easier to fly around the field at a slower speed.
You don't have to make any fast moves as if you might with a plane.
I found that if I punch it just a little on take off to get away from the prop wash it makes for a smoother take off.
And by all means have a spotter, that can give you a play by play of how you are doing. It helps a whole lot...
There are things the camera want see but you could end up hitting...just until you get the hang of it
Once you try it you will be hooked.. there is no turning back.;)
Can't wait to hear about your first flight report.

Lee

When i saw his setup two years ago it was like a NASA control tower LOL He is using 2.4Ghz FPV and 800mhz radio system. I tried to find out the legal limits for here without success. He told me most people fly with 800mW or more !!!! So my little 200mW TX is gonna be upgraded pretty quick me thinks.

Tony

Staff member
Blow him out of the water and get a gigawatt setup lol. I guess there is no worry about the DX8 now lmao.

Tasajara

On the 5.8gHz you can up grade to the BluBeam Antenna Whip Set over the standard rubber ducky. Video will be much clearer and you will get longer range. I use a patch antenna and a whip on a diversity system. The patch will give you a range of up to mile plus. But it is more directional than the Blue Beam.

Lee

I have ordered the clover leaf and skewer planer antennas with my kit already. Got to try the goggles today on my friends system. They are fantastic. So good in fact he went straight home and ordered a pair :D

Lee

TX/RX arrived the other day. Was just waiting for the camera. It arrived today but i was out :( postoffice is shut now till monday :(

z257

hey guys im looking at fpv. and i got a couple questions is this the complete setup? if i get this i can set it up and fly with just this stuff? or do i need more stuff.
FatShark Dominator Goggles
5.8gHz Plug and play system from BEV RC
Sony 600TVL CCD camera

thanks,
zack

- - - Updated - - -

and can i put it on my heli?

Lee

Yes thats everything except the batteries. 1 each for the RX, TX and goggles if it doesn't already come with one.
I will be setting mine up in the next few days, if my last parts arrive tomorrow. I also got the cloverleaf and Skewer antennas to replace the stock whip ones on the RX and TX from BEVRC

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and yes you can put it on your heli, but..... its not advised as the best platform to learn with. Better to put it on a Plane or multi copter

Top Bottom