600 My ESC is Rubbish! who has one I can grab? - REplacement suggestions please

Westy

LEGEND
After chatting a bit with lee ... I decided (Against his advice ;) to set up my ALIGN 100amp ESC on governor mode ... hoping that it would solve my head bogging issues... and it actually did work for bout 2 minutes.... now it just has an error allarm.

It started doing what all the forums said it would ... waging like crazy due to inconsistant head speed holding in the rubbish governor firmware inside the Align 100amp ESC

SO now I have had to put all my batteries on storage ... and will have to start saving for a new or good second hand one ....

I was thinking of Getting a Castle ICE I or II 100 or 120 amp ..... also heard the YEP 120 are not too bad either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Derek

That's unfortunate what happened, Westy! I enjoyed seeing your flight videos.

I was just looking at the YEP 120A HV ESC, that corsair_pilot was talking about above, and I may just have to look into getting one of these to go on my 20 foot wingspan plane so that I can run a high "S" setup.

Good luck man!!

Westy

LEGEND
I am tossing up between the
YEP 120
Hobbyking YEP 120A HV (4~14S) Brushless Speed Controller (OPTO)

20696(1).jpg

or this .... exact copy of the Hobby wing one!

8921(2).jpg

TURNIGY K-Force 120A-HV OPTO V2 5-12S Brushless ESC

The K-Force is an exact replica of the YGE 120 ... these ... from what I have read so far ..... have a really face CPU in them and are very very good.

Not sure.

Last edited:

Lee

When Castle had there Fire issues last year, a lot of guys were going for the Hobbywing/Turnigy 120A HV for there 700 and really liking them. I love the YEP, and after seeing my friends one with the gov set up i love it even more.

I told you not to touch the Gov on the Align ESC DOH!!!! :D

Tony

Staff member
For an ESC that large, I would think you would want 5mm bullet connectors. I know I would want the bigger ones on a 120a ESC anyway lol.

Westy

LEGEND
I told you not to touch the Gov on the Align ESC DOH!!!! :D

I had to try ... you know it! ... my nature!!!!.... hahaha

it actually worked for 2 mins ... .and the head speed was good ..... held a lot better on loops etc ..... I was feeling good ... then the tail blew out and I almost totalled it into a lamp post! haha

its all on cam!!!! haha..... I did even mention you and told everyone you were right and I was wrong! haha

- - - Updated - - -

For an ESC that large, I would think you would want 5mm bullet connectors. I know I would want the bigger ones on a 120a ESC anyway lol.

I am going for the 100 amp

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Dude that sucks a bit, that amount of time without the heli is gonna drive you nuts, if it was me it would anyway.

Westy

LEGEND
used to it.... Lol hope it will be soon ... which I will be pleasantly surprised.... but not holding out my hopes very high.

Slobberdog

I am sooooooo lucky here in the UK, LHS has a good selection of Align bits in a box and if I order from Align-trex.co.uk I get it next day, ok prices at HK are so much cheaper, but I think I will only order things like batteries from them from now on.

My brother in law had a HK speed controller for a brand new plane, first flight it went up in smoke cut out in flight fell like a brick, plane in bits, all for a £6 speed controller, lol

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I have had my issues with HK crap esc's as well. I don't care what people say about them, I will NEVER put another one in any of my aircraft, or even a ground pounder for that matter. The one I had on my old 600 shorted out and almost caught my house on fire. HK electronics are CRAP and I will never own anything other than "maybe" a battery from them. But, I think I'm going to be going with Pulse from now on.

Westy

LEGEND
So what HK ESC did you have?

The shipment has been dropped at Sing Post as we speak.

I got the YEP 100amp and programmer.... everyone says that they are pretty good

Tony

Staff member
I don't even remember. What I do remember is doing a search and seeing that over 75% of electronics from there die within a year. And when some are over a bill, I'm not taking the chance.

Lee

If you think the HK ESCs are bad, what about Castle Creations a US company? All there 160 HV Escs were bursting into flames and destroying $$$$$$$ of helis. Its not just HK. The Hobby wing escs are great as are the YEP. Every ESC i have ever owned came from HK and not one has failed on me. My first ever ESC from HK is still going strong in my first 450 heli :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
not all HK esc's are bad.. and same for Castle. Yes both HK and Castle esc's have burned but its not always manufacturere's fault.

The solder, the wiring, the gearing . and a lot more done by the user makes a huge difference.

YEP are great.. but if you want to shell a bit more krotronik, Castle, YGE and Kosmic are the top end most relaibel esc .. in no order whatsoever.

Westy

LEGEND
Just been speaking to the Director of Marketing from Alignrc USA (Jeff Fassbinder) - VIA EMAIL ....

he says the 600MX will be like night and day on my 600 as the old 650BL 1220KV only put out 1500-1600KW and the new 600MX 1220KV puts out 2000KW ... 40% more power ....

I am going to hunt one down I think! .... If anyone knows of a good SH one .... let me know!

I am keen to pay around 70 - 80 + Postage to NZ

Top Bottom