My buddies 600 explodes

Ken Jackson

We determined one DFC blade grip pulled out at the top. You can hear the flutter and Rick said it immediately lost altitude, it was going down.

Damage Report:
Main Blades and tail rotor blades. Tail boom and torque tube. Main and rotation gears are fine. Both TT gear sets and tail assembly unharmed. One blade grip (the one that fell off in the air). Both swash plate to main blade grip links. New battery straps. Servos all OK. That's about it. He has all of the parts but will have to buy a set of main blades. It sure looked worse but flying with one main blade grip broken I thought he did a good job getting it to the ground. No skid or frame damage.

600 Crash 091414 Edited - YouTube

Lee

Always bad seeing a crash.
One lesson to learn, from what I could see, He didn't get the throttle hold on soon enough.
Thats why it chewed itself up. If he had flicked the Hold switch just as it touched down, I think he would have got away with almost no damage, bar what had caused the problem in the first place.
You live and learn :) I always think what i could have done better after a crash.
A classic example is my last crash.
The instant I knew it was going in, Throttle hold was on as it touched the ground. This is the reason only my blades got damaged and not one tooth or belt was broken.
Build fly crash build. Its all part of the fun :)

stokke

Lee stated my thoughts exactly.

Btw: Ken, what video editing software are you using? I'm wondering how you are able to zoom into frame like that?

I hate to see an aircraft crash like that, I feel your pain. Hope you get it sorted soon. +1 on throttle hold Lee, I always used that on landing about a foot or two off the ground

Ken Jackson

Yes I was hoping someone would comment on that. Rick and I both have saved a lot of money over the years by using throttle hold. The first thing he said after the crash was that he flipped every switch on the front of the radio but got to throttle hold last. Has no ideal why he flipped any of the other switches. Panic doesn't always allow for logical thinking. I was surprised that he didn't either but as we all know things can happen very fast. I think the angled contact with the ground was the biggest menace because the main blade just about cut the tail boom in half. I've never seen the whole tail assembly disconnect from the tail boom before and the end of the tube wasn't damaged. Weird.

I am using wondershare. For the price it does a decent job. I like how you can zoom in. Good audio options. Will only slow to half speed but the slow mo was sure cool. Have to have a 10 mega pixel camera or better or it distorts pretty quickly, but that particular segment came out pretty good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom