Micro My Blade 120SR..."Houston we still have a problem!"

They both (power & motor) look good...I even "wiggled" them while trying to spool up, but no problems there! :emono:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Terry
"HeliBaby1527"
Va. Beach, VA

cml001

Weird.. I don't kno.. I can tell ya that iv beat 3 of them to death.. I've bought new ones once they just crap out.. I used to be pretty ruff on the 120sr... But I love it still. May have to grab a new one!

Hey, that may be my best option! I've seen them now for $99 in the BNF versions...I'm gonna pay close to half of that for a new board anyway! They do take a beating and keep on flying. Definitely a favorite in my small fleet...

Thanks for your input!

Terry
"HeliBaby1527"
Va. Beach, VA

cml001

It's my 1st rc heli.. Like I said I've had several... 3yrs in the hobby no I think.. Iv flown the ever living crab out of a 120sr.. And will continue.. In the house, yard.. Camping.. Little trips here & there.. It's always with me.. Yeah.. Grab u another one.. Use the old for spares.

I may just do that...can't imagine not having a working 120SR to fly! I've got a mCX2 and a mSR that I fly indoors, but the 120SR will "air it out' outside when there's no wind! Tons of fun...

Thanks for following up!

P.S. Which heli is that in your profile picture?

Terry
"HeliBaby1527"
Va. Beach, VA

cml001

That's my align 450pro dfc... There are pics of most of my birds one my profile page.. Actually I don't kno if I every finished doin that.. Some stuff in there.

That is SWEET, Bro!
Checked out your profile pics too...Blade SR was my first CP heli too! Everyone says it's so much harder to fly than the larger birds. All the upgrades you did, sound like maybe a plan for me too!

Great pics of your 120's too...what a great heli!

Thanks for sharing...

cml001

No problem.. Hope u get the 120sr squared away.. As for the sr.. Even tho I dig my sr.. Knowing now what I do.. I can't suggest building up the sr.. Honestly you will spend less and have a much more enjoyable expierience grabbing the align 450... It was a blast to build.. Heavenly to fly.. And more than capable stock build... Parts aren't that expensive and in abundance. Put the ar7200bx on it and you can make it start off pretty dosile and bump up the settings as your confidence and skill increase.Even after upgrading the sr to death.. It still isn't a 3d machine.. Fly well for what it is, but as I said... The align is just a much better expierience.. I would think most on the site here would agree w me.

Point taken, with regards to the SR...thanks for the heads up, but you just confirmed what a lot of heli flyers are saying about the SR.

Okay, there are SO MANY "flavors" of the Align 450 to choose from (11, I think!)? Where do I start?

Thanks!

Tony

Staff member
Depends on what you want. The Sport is the beginner model with a belt tail. The Pro DFC has a torque tube tail and is made for hard flying. The 450L Dominator is a 360 size helicopter, slightly larger than a normal 450. IMO, If you think you can keep the tail out of the dirt (strips gears easily), then get the pro or Dominator. But if you already have some 2200mah 3s batteries, get the Pro DFC. If you think you are going to hit the tail on the ground, get the sport for the more robust tail.

Okay, Bro...no batteries that large here, so we're starting out from scratch. I know nothing about these birds, except for their awesome reputation and considerable costs! So, can you start out with a Sport say and then later on add mods or upgrades to advance to a better/different model's attributes? Or are they more user specific models, so you're "married to" what you choose first, like it or not? I don't want to make this kind of investment without really doing a lot of preliminary research, if you know what I mean? Which kit comes with what? Which motor, ESC, servos, gyro, batteries, etc....Spektrum receiver to work with my DX6i tx? I need to have a "game plan"...

Thank you for your help, Tony...as always!

...to be continued

cml001

Well.. For me, the 450pro dfc was a great choice. I went in with "0" build experience save rebuilding the the 120sr, sr, & 130x... But I found the build & set up very easy.. Take your time, follow the instructions step by step.. As your build expierience grows you will find your own way.. Wire routing, electronic placement, planned maintance, etc.. I like the torque tubes myself.. Easier to maintain.. No worries of static, no adjusting tention.. I would suggest upon the build spend the extra couple bucks and order the "black" gears.. They are a lot tuff'r! Tony is right about the stripping... A smooth & proper landing in tall grass is enough to grab the tale blades and get a couple teeth of the stock "white" gears.. Both ends of the tall and the auto gear.. $15-20 maybe for all of them.. I think the main gear came "black"..Doin that during the build would be better than later. Matter of choice.. & I say that for sake of RCH.. There are several here who like it, but I've seen not one on here to love it or have no issue with it.. 3GX.. U can get the super combo w it or combo w/out it.. If get it w/out it.. Get the AR7200BX.. It's a perfect match for ur DX6i... I used it for all of my fleet up till a few months ago.. Still use it on some as I just haven't set up those to the DX9.. The AR7200 is very easy to setup.. Too damn easy! No computer needed. You can use it in beginner settings all the way to.. If u can control it maxed out.. Fly it.. I'll buy u dinner and a movie! But it's an awesome gyro that works for everyone.. Everyone.. IT WORKS! And u don't need sats or any other extra crap.. It's awesome! Parts are easily attainable.. Even if your hobby store doesn't carry them.. Heli-direct, expierience RC, or the T-Rex store online will have them at your doorstep in 3 working days via regular mail.. Anyhow that my take on it

Wow! Thank you so much for your detailed input, cml001! Where did you purchase yours? If you don't mind me asking... $? Also, you said it was "easier" to fly than your SR? Can a novice heli flyer, like me, who's just learning CP, learn effectively on a 450? I've heard that the learning curve is easier on the larger birds? True or false? How long did it take you to put the kit together? Can a "sixty year old fart" like me do it? lmao!

Thank you again for your candid response!

cml001

Easier than the sr.. Well.. Depends on the person I guess.. There is more control and response w the align 450... So easier may not be the right word. Iv done sims on the computer.. Not rc sims, long before I got into rc.. Now I'm no smack 3d rc pilot, id say I suck when I get to the field & see what the others guys are doin...but I feel as tho iv got a good grasp on the control input.. I attribute that to PC flight sims and being a child of the video game generation.. Lol.. But I personal feel more confident w the align. I did learn a lot with the sr. But do to its limitations I tried to make it something that it never came to be... So for the money, I'd have been better off goin to the 450 once I felt confident enough to take the next step as opposed to sink'n $ in the sr.. That never got there anyway. The sr is great, but it won't go the distance as far as performance and progression go... Still a great bird tho don't get me wrong.. I still like it. Apples and oranges tho. If you can hover in all 4 orientations(nose in, Tail in, either side in) and fly circuits or figure eights.. Then I'd say go for it! If you can't move the heli about comfortably then keep the sr stock and practice.. A lot.. Always practice no matter ur skill level.. A rc sim helps tons.. I use Phoenix.. I here accurc is good.. But any sim would help. Doin this is less expensive to repair the sr than the 450.. I personally find it harder to work on tho w a flybared head tho. As far as expense goes.. If I remember right I had about $500-600 in it to start. What about $400 for the kit w everything except the controller and batteries.. $220'ish for the AR7200.. and batteries just depend on what u get.. I'm a Pulse guy.. 2250mah 45C are around $30.. If you can can hover & zip around.. And land 90% of the time w/out spending $... Go for the 450!

Last edited:
Thanks again for your great input! I bought Phoenix V5 a couple of months ago and have been flying it daily since! It has helped SO much...I think I need a lot more practice with my SR and mCPX BL, until I am REALLY comfortable flying CP like you said. I need to be patient and practice, practice and more practice, before I make the jump and spend that much $! I know I'll get to where I need to be in time, because I really want it...just like you and ALL the other Align devotees on this forum!

Thank you for helping me make a decision...

cml001

Re: My Blade 120SR..."Houston we still have a problem!"

No problem, the guys here at RCH are wonderful and have helped me tremendously! Particulars on equipment and set ups etc... The mass of knowledge here is awesome and the friendly/wanna help attitudes can't be found on any other forum I've seen. Post up a video of the sr, I don't think anyone here has of that bird.

- - - Updated - - -

And oh yeah... You can find used 450s all the time.. Might save a little cash.

Top Bottom