My 450 helicam experiment.

pavotibio

Hi guys, last Sunday I tried some aerial recordings with my new "extreme camera", an Eagle Eye 119 HD. First I mounted it on the side of the heli (It weights 130 grams) and as expected the 3gx did its job and kept the heli stable tho I couldnt avoid the vibrations. For this reason, I moved it and attached to the battery tray with some foam that reduced them...images now are like jelly he he.
What would you recommend to eliminate this annoying vibrations? I'll post a pic of the experiment as soon as I get it.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Strap it down as tight as you can. If that still doesn't cure it, then you have something bent or out of balance.

pavotibio

Strap it down as tight as you can. If that still doesn't cure it, then you have something bent or out of balance.

I dont get what u mean, Tony. What could be bent or out of balance? I'm trying to eliminate the vibrations in the recording cause by the heli. Would more foam do the trick?
Cheers

PS, I'll post what the camera I mounted on the heli captured.

Tony

Staff member
If you are getting a jello kind of video, then it's one of two things that are causing it. Either the camera is not strapped down tight enough and the camera is moving with the normal harmonics of a helicopter, or something like your main or feathering shaft is bent, blades out of balance or not tracking correctly, or something along those lines are causing extreme vibrations. Hope this helps a bit more.

Lee

I would say mate, that you will not get a steady picture with the 450 no matter what you do. Even on my quadcopters with all the dampening you can put on it, its still possible to get jello. Its the biggest issue with aerial video.
Just do as Tony said, and make sure the camera is strapped down tight, but the harmonics of a 450 are the issue.

PaulRC

Hi guys, last Sunday I tried some aerial recordings with my new "extreme camera", an Eagle Eye 119 HD. First I mounted it on the side of the heli (It weights 130 grams) and as expected the 3gx did its job and kept the heli stable tho I couldnt avoid the vibrations. For this reason, I moved it and attached to the battery tray with some foam that reduced them...images now are like jelly he he.
What would you recommend to eliminate this annoying vibrations? I'll post a pic of the experiment as soon as I get it.
Cheers

kool! I'm going to try this too, on my 450. I'll try and mount it underneath the frame. Different camera. I'm just wondering if I'd get the same issues as you.

Last edited by a moderator:

pavotibio

Hi, I'm gonna do some flying tests today. I'm using rubber bands to attach the cam instead of hook 'n loop since this last one transmits vibrations from the frame.
Good look with your proyect.
Cheers

pavotibio

Well, today I crashed my 450. But before that, I was able to do one more flying test. Still with foam in between the batery tray and the cam, I used some rubber bands (from a bicycle tire) to strap it. The vibracion was reduced a lot. Unfortunately othr tests will have to wait till I fix it.

[video]http://splicd.com/g2cTAAEy0gU/120/259[/video]

Top Bottom