Music on uploaded Youtube videos

Derek

We don't really have a section for my question, but since it has to do with Youtube videos, I decided to post my question here.

My question is about adding music to an uploaded Youtube video. However, I know there is a rule, or something, about adding copyrighted material that is wrong or illegal. I don't want to do anything to jeopardized my status with Youtube but sometimes I'd like to add music to my videos. Can anyone clarify what kind of music is appropriate?

murankar

Staff member
YouTube won't do anything other than not allow monetizing of the video. Now there are sites dedicated to "free" tracks". Tasar... In the multirotoro section that knows just a site. I also have a magazine for web development that includes a CD with "free" loops.

Now if the music is not free and want monetizing then all you need is proof that you have the right to use it.

Derek

i don't want to monetize anything. I just want to be able to add music to some videos without jeopardizing my status with Youtube.

Tony

Staff member
There is a chance if you upload something like AC/DC when you render the video, they will just mute the whole video. However, you can go into youtube, after uploading, and they have thousands of songs that you can put on your videos. It's under the edit tab I think. I don't do it because as I stated, it takes monitization away. You can also do as URI stated and just use free material, but MAKE SURE you read the fine print.

Tasajara

Here are some I use

Dan-O at DanoSongs.com

GreatScottJams.com

Here is one I have not tried yet but plan to do so...

Jason Shaw at audionautix.com

All three are free just give credit to the site or artist..

I am sure there are many more... but you will have to upload a lot of videos to run through all the songs
these sites have to offer... :p

Last edited:

rchelipilot

I contacted the person who wrote a song, and was the lead singer of the group who performed the song, and got permission to use with a Youtube video.
Youtube blocked it because of copyright infringement. So I sent Youtube copies of the e-mails of me getting permission and reposted the vid.
Youtube blocked it again and basically said, "post this again and we will see you in court."
I have learned since that you can wright, compose, and perform a song, but the recording studio "owns" the song.
LOL
There is lots of free music out there though.

concept30

wow rchelipilot that is so sad that youtube will see you in court, I think if you add music to your video and give the credit of the song in your title, youtube wont get upset

Ken Jackson

I have been getting away with some music because I have a CD playing in the background when I am flying. Since there is wind and motor ambient noise the youtube analyzing software can't determine it to be copyrighted. Also if you are listening to the radio that is broadcast. So crank up your car radio and fly on but make sure there is other noise in the video. Cough of laugh once in a while, Lol.

I have posted a few that they said I couldn't, so I just delete them, no big deal.

Ken

EyeStation

I have violated their copyright laws on many occasions. They send you a notification about the song, I submit a dispute, they most often lift the ban.
I have uploaded concert videos of cover bands and have had to submit one on every song of the concert I uploaded. My dispute is that "It is a cover band performing the song in a live environment". This has worked for Cover songs by TOOL, Stone Temple Pilots, Metallica, The Beatles, Talking Heads, and even The Andrew Sisters.
Only two of the Andrew sisters songs still show up as copyright violations, but my dispute has cleared my standing.
I have also created mashup videos of my favorite artists, "The Residents" combined with Disney, Looney Tunes, Pixar, Elvis and Dreamworks video footage. I claim that this is artistic and fair use of these videos. Only two of over 50 still have the violation notice still attached to the video, but nothing has been charged against me.
So, being a huge supporter of "Fair Use", ( http://www.negativland.com/news/?cat=5 ), I go through the motions of submitting a dispute to cover my butt.
Wanna watch anything I uploaded? Check it out here, http://www.youtube.com/user/eyesguy

rchelipilot

The song I used, was purchased from I-Tunes, so I'm sure it had something attached to it to alert the proper authorities.
I still laugh about it.

Top Bottom