Multirotors - HD Camera Options

nateburgher

Doing some research for a few months, it looks like GoPros are the intro HD video camera for multirotors. For about $750 you can get a decent gimbal and GoPro setup.

Now it seems like a lot of people complain about the wide angle of the GoPros for amateur cinema use, and I personally agree. So I've been looking at other popular setups.

The Sony NEX models seem like the next best bet. For about $1500 you can get a decent gimbal / camera setup that allows for interchangeable lenses. This seems to be really popular, but other than cost I don't understand why, since Canon and Nikon are much more popular for amateur cinematography.

So when I look for a gimbal for my Canon 5D Mark III, they start at $3k for anything worth while. Huh?! Why so much?

So what I'm getting to, and the discussion I'm attempting to widely provoke, is why Sony NEX instead of Canon / Nikon? Or am I just looking in the wrong spots for Canon 5D Gimbals? I'd love to have a more professional look than the GoPro, but I'd much rather use my Canon setup than buy an entire Sony setup.

Lee

You know that with the new Gopro, you can set the angle to a much narrower view?
As for the Sony NEX over your Canon 5D. Its the size difference. The NEX can get away with a smaller gimble and airframe. The 5D will need a a much bigger, robust gimble, and a bigger more powerful set up to carry it.

murankar

Staff member
If your looking for final output quality then look at the final display medium. If you are doing web work then the NEX or GoPro will do wounders and take you a long way, but if your looking at DVD or presentation on TV or other similar medium like over head projector where the details can be exaggerated then going with a more robust and costly setup will be more ideal.

You almost have to backwards plan your setup, what is the final output going to be, then in order to get you final product to work on your final medium you will need XYZ camera, with XYZ camera I will need ABC gimbal which will weigh X amount of pounds/grams. From that you can decide what quad/hex/octo copter you will need to lift your payload plus batteries and FPV gear.

Top Bottom