380/420 Msh Protos 380

Matt

What do you guys think of the MSH Protos 380? The kit is $199 and Powerheli.com is having a 15% off sale. Anyone got one? And are they any good?

This might be my next heli, fyi..

Admiral

That's a great price, I believe its the next generation of the Mini Protos which was a great helicopter, well worth the look.

Matt

Thanks Admiral, I think this is going to be the next addition to my fleet. I’ve heard MSH makes good helis and for that price with the 15% off I may have to get one..

Matt

I was looking for a 380 size and came across this one.. $199 for a kit isn’t too bad of a price.. I think I’d put BK servos in it and an XNova motor.. I’m still thinking of what fbl system I’d like to use.. i like the Ikon2 but also like the VBar.. can I use a vbar with a Spektrum radio?

Admiral

Both will work with Spektrum, both are great flight controllers, my choice is iKon but that is a personal choice mainly because you don't have to spend extra to get the full benefits of the unit.

Matt

That’s good to know. For some reason I thought the VBar only worked with the VControl transmitter, but I guess I can plug in a Spektrum satellite receiver into the VBar. The VBar seems a bit pricey, IMO, but you probably get what you pay for. For that reason I may be leaning more towards an Ikon2. I had an Ikon2 and liked it a lot.

Smoggie

For info (if you dont already know) MSH went out of business several months ago. MSH 'the company' is gone. XLPower bought the MSH name and any designs, moulds, spares etc. The new Protos 380 is a 100% XLPower manufactured heli, though they still use the MSH brand name.
I'm not implying anything bad here, in fact it's a really good thing because XLPower are a manufacturer that's going places whereas MSH have been struggling for some time. XLPower are also selling at a much lower price point than MSH did.

On the FBL, my favourite is the Spirit or Spirit Pro, but the Brain2/iKon2' runs close second. The Vbar Neo is really only worth looking at it you go with Vcontrol. It will work with other transmitters but only with basic functionality. The Spirit and Brain have the benefit of full transmitter integration and telemetry interface, neither of which you get with the Neo when using a 3rd party Tx. You also have to pay a heap extra for rescue with the Neo and it's free with the Spirit or Brain.

If you were interested in GPS functionality ('hard-deck' altitude limit, return home etc etc) then the Spirit is the one.

Last edited:

Matt

Didn't know MSH went out of business.. I like their products.. hopefully XLPower keeps up their brand.. I'd consider a Spirit FBL.. I've never had one but they're worth s shot.. That's what I assumed with the VBar NEO.. There was a Bavarian Demon on Helifreak for $80 so that may be an option too.. I really like the MSH Protos 380.. It's a decent price for a decent heli.. After I priced everything out it would be about $677 for the kit and electronics, so I may have to hold off on that one, for the time being.. There is part of me that would like a 500 size heli, but I think I'm going to give a 380 size heli a shot first and if I feel I need to go bigger, than a 500 size heli will be my next step.. Thanks for the info.. it will definately play a part in my decision on what would be the next addition to my fleet.. but I've almost made up my mind about the Protos 380.. these helis are so much fun building them and flying them, I don't know which is more fun, building them or flying them.. I'm thinking building them, but I like the challenge of fltying them too.. I'd like to eventually get to the point where I can fly inverted..

Smoggie

Matt,

I also like the speccing up, buying and building part almost as much as flying, which leads me to having way too many helis!

The protos 380 does look like a very nice heli at an attractive price. i'd not let the bigger size of a 500 put you off though, you very quickly get used to the size. The XLPower 520 is a good heli in that size range, a simple 'no nonesense' type of design and it flies really well.

If looking at Bavarian Demons be aware that there are a couple of different models, the 3SX and the 3X. Only the 3SX has rescue functionality (I'm guessing that for $80 it's the 'plain vanilla' 3X version). Plus you have the new 'Axon' model whish is the replacement to the 3SX, but you wouldnt get one of those for $80:friendly_wink:

Matt

The Bavarian Demon on eBay that was for $80 was the vanilla 3X (no rescue). The 3SX (with rescue) was about $200

MSH Brain 2's are nice. Ikon2's are nice.

The Mikado VBar works only with the Mikado VControl to get it's full benefits. (maybe I'm wrong here (I am wrong here, looks like the setup is just like the Brain2 or Ikon2)). And what I mean is I heard the settings for the VBar are held in the VBar and not the transitter.. (WHICH IS COMPLETELY WRONG!!!)

I may go the cheapest direction too with a 'knock off'.

But building them and flying them are too different things, and I don't know which is more 'fun'

Watching this to clarify..

The only downside Bert Kammerer said is that it's an additional $45 for the Pro setup software..

He also says that the VBar is the only FBL system on the market right now that seems like it's the best.. (and what I mean is out of the FBL systems, the VBar seems to be the most predictable and locked in) but I don’t know, I’ve never gotten to the point of doing extreme 3D to determine which FBL is best

The only issue I see, is there aren't enough videos on the internet that go over the new tech.. I've only found videos on the VBar and none on the VBar NEO..

I'd need to make a $1,000,000 an hour to keep up with all this new tech and heli models

Last edited:

Smoggie

That video is VERY out of date. The Smacktalk series was made several years ago (starting 2010). You originally had to pay for the videos but they were recently made freely available on Youtube.

The Vbar 'Blueline' that Bert was reviewing is long since discontinued (as is the old Trex 700e that it's fitted to!). FBL technology has moved on a long LONG way since that video. The Current Vbar as called the 'Neo' and it's totally different. To get Neo full functionality you do indeed have to use a Vcontrol Tx, no other Tx will support Tx to FBL integration when using the Neo. It is also true that all setup is stored in the Neo, not in the Vcontrol Tx. FWIW the 'Pro Rescue' upgrade is now approx $100.

Matt

That’s why I don’t buy some of these things. Some of it is too confusing and too expensive. Sometimes it’s better to get some of the easier to understand stuff even though it is not the top of the line. I’m in the learning phase, which means I crash more often then I fly.

In fact, for the reason I crash more than I fly, I’ve made up my mind that the ALZRC x360 is going to be my next heli. I’m getting the Super Combo with the ALZRC servos and KBar. It’s only $259.

Last edited:

Matt

I was thinking about this. I’d have to buy all the VBar Neo’s (different flavors of the VBar Neo) and all the transmitter’s (different flavors of the VControl (as well as having a non-Mikado transmitter)) to test these things out. I’d have to set up each of the VBar Neo’s and various transmitters to really understand how they work..

Smoggie

Matt,
There is really only one type of Neo but there are software upgrades, the ‘Pro Rescue’ upgrade being the one that adds rescue functionality.
All Neos have built in Vcontrol receiver but only on the Vlink version is the receiver enabled in the software. Again you can purchase a software upgrade to turn on the receiver of the non-vlink version.

There are two different Vcontrol transmitters the key difference being the touch screen on the newer version

The outstanding feature of the Vcontrol/Neo combination is that you get seamless integration between the Tx and the FBL so that all setup and tuning can be done from the Tx. You don’t get that from the Neo with a different Tx brand.

The Brain2 and Spirit support integration with multiple brands of Tx but it’s not as ‘slick’ as the Vcontrol

Matt

So, I think I understand. If I had a VBar Neo with the VLink and a VControl Tx, I wouldn’t need a computer to set up the VBar? I’d still need a computer to update the firmware, but wouldn’t need one to ‘setup’ the VBar Neo?

Ah, I think I got it.. :banghead:

That is pretty ‘slick’. No more lugging the computer to the flying field or going home to change things. Too bad everyone didn’t do that. Have a universal Tx and universal receiver.

This video I found after being pointed in the right direction (thanks Smoggie)

Last edited:

Smoggie

You have got it but that same functionality or very close is available with the Brain2 or the Spirit using most brands of transmitter.

The integration between different brands is not quite as slick as Mikado’s single brand solution but it’s got similar capabilities, you can make all FBL adjustments right from the Tx programming menu and or you can make adjustments in flight by mapping channels to the parameters you want to change

Admiral

While I'm a Spektrum and iKon/Brain fan, looking at the V Control & V-bar Neo Mikado have jumped ahead of the other brands in functionality. I'll won't be changing over though, the cost is the determining factor replacing the DX9 and 10 iKons with V Control and Neo units can't be justified at this time. If I was just starting out Mikado would probably be the direction I would take though.

Smoggie

While I'm a Spektrum and iKon/Brain fan, looking at the V Control & V-bar Neo Mikado have jumped ahead of the other brands in functionality.
You can get much the same functionality with Spektrum and the Brain2 as you can with Vcontrol. Main difference is that Vcontrol being a single brand solution does it more seamlessly and ‘slicker’. The Spektrum integration is a bit clunky in comparison.

Top Bottom