Motors Motors?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
:nightmare::nightmare::nightmare:

Motors, motors, motors, what should I get? I have been investigating motors today. Some of you know that I would like to build a tri-copter this winter. I don't know a lick when it comes to electronics. I'm a glow- gas engine man myself. The only electrics I have are my helis and now my t maxx. They were set up by other people. Not me! I'm thinking around 1000 kvs. Something that comes with esc's. Then I don't have to worry about what esc to buy. Lots of them on e bay. Some with front motor mounts. Some with rear motor mounts. Even some with both! Most even come with prop adapters anyone have any imput on this? Let me know what you think! Lol
:hypnotysed::hypnotysed::hypnotysed:

Keith

I think the main guide is go for a low KV... definitely no more than 1000... The reason being is that the lower the KV the better the throttle responce...

Tony

Staff member
Hey Cynical, I didnt' even realize you had posted here on teh forum. Either way, here is the info I said I would pass along since I can't link to anything on YT.

The motor you said you have I could not find on nitroplanes or hobbypartz, so I did a google search, and found one on hobbyking that seems about right. HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 4250-500kv Brushless Outrunner Motor

If you do the math (remember, lower voltage with the same watts, will equate to more amps, so use 4s), you will be very close to 100a of draw out of that motor. and with a 60a ESC, I would be watching it to make sure you dont' butn it up. That ESC you are using is not a cheap one lol. I know, I have one on my Edge.

if that is not even close to your motor, let me know and I will do some more digging.

plumkrazy

Ok, so im attempting to upgrade my old graupner glider to a brushless system. I found this forum thru youtube when attempting to figure out the BL motors and ESCs. I think I have all that figured out. But as im shopping for a BL motor to fit my application, I notice that the out-runners can have the pinion shaft coming out of either end. The application that would work for me would be to have the shaft coming from the cap end rather than the bell end... As I need to mount the non moving portion of the motor housing to the inside of the nose. **So the real question I have is, if i buy one of these out runners, can I reverse the end that the shaft comes out of, and would it require a new shaft for this purpose or are they just naturally reversible?
Also, The new version of my plane is offered with a BL system (1100kv). However, depending on the battery used, I would be required to run either a 10" or 11" prop. So could I theoretically just get a motor with a higher kv rating that can accommodate a smaller prop (like a 8" or 9") along with the appropriate batt, and disregarding the kv rated BL motor that comes with the new version of my plane?
And lastly, I understand that I may still utilize my Nimh Batts, (though I plan to get a LiPo) but how do I factor "C" rate with a Nimh? ...The only specs those batts give me is V and mAh, so how would I figure out whether my Nimh batts will operate properly? Any equations to apply there?

Thanks so much, Trying to get up to date with technology!

Top Bottom