Motors Motor selection

tinyboat

Can someone suggest a motor that I should select from Hobby King for my Apprentice S airplane? They have such a wide variety of motors it gets confusing to try to select the correct motor. Thanks for any help.

RandyDSok

I tried to look at the specs for the motor that comes in the plane itself... the only info they provided ( on my quick look ) was that it was a 15 size and 840kv .... it didn't list some of the other important specs like the diameter and length which will be needed so the replacement fits. You'll also want to ensure the max amps you pull with the prop you've selected doesn't exceed the rating of the ESC ( stock is a 30a, so probably pull 25a max ). Also remember the number of cells your batteries are so you can select one that is compatible.

If you have the original motor... measure it in millimeters since most are sized that way. Finding out how much it weighs will also help, most are weighed in grams, a heavier motor will change your planes CG which will have to be compensated for, so keep the weight close to or the same if/when possible. Look at the motor mount... you may have to alter or change it if the mounting holes on the replacement aren't the same since there is little in standards for them.

I've been out of RC for too long to make a direct suggestion, so I hope the direction will be of some use. I also quit buying from HK since I'm not a fan of most of their products or motors... I prefer higher quality than they carry which usually results in more power or lighter weights than the cheap motors but come at a cost.

Top Bottom