General Model Sounds

Jimbo

Ihat is a good idea Tony. I have a DX9 and thought about mixing the throttle with the RKnob. I have not done mixing, but when I set one point to throttle, there was no RKnob option in the next setting.

Do you have a video for mixing and how to?

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately I don't. Never really got into it since all of the mixing that I ever did, elevons, flaperons and so on, were already mixed with a single setting. But, I know Steve has done mixing before and has a greater understanding of it than I do. I do need to get that video done though lol.

Jimbo

Had a long exchange with Andrew (Mr RC Sound). He admits that he has no experience with helicopters and did not know that the engine sound did not go up and down with the throttle. The sound is linked to the throttle on the card and a mix will not change this. Long story short is, the helicopter sounds will not work correctly or sound right. If you go with one of the other systems, it would be best to check with them first to determine how theirs functions.

Jim

holtneil

But a real heli starts up then the turbine sits at an idle speed the pilot then gives it throttle up to about 80/90 % engine power this is then locked and the pilot flies the heli on pitch , we copy this on our RC helis so will it do this ?
this a real heli

Jimbo

That is exactly correct Neil. On the Huey and Cobra, the pilot brings up the N1 turbine to 6600 RPM (main rotor speed 324 rpm) and there it remained. The Mr RC Sound card, has the sound about right at 25%, but gets faster as you increase the throttle. So once you flip to IU1, which I set at 75%, it is way too fast and sounds all wrong. His card has a lot of "coding" to get it to do this and changing it is not in the cards.

Jim

Jimbo

Neil, according to Mr RC Sound, it is tied to the throttle and can not be separated out. The clip above is not correct either. When that Cobra is sitting on the ground, in idle, it sounds close. But when they spool it up, you lose the sound of the rotor blades and hear the engine getting louder. It is the slow, steady, whop, whop, whop, of the blades that you hear, not the engine. I sat in the open door, directly under the rotor head, with my back against the transmission well, for 500+ hours. :)

Jim

This is what you hear:
Here is another one:
At about 3:25, you hear it coming up to flight idle and the whop, whop, whop starts.

Jimbo

Neil, here is the Cobra. Same rotor sound, where the one above, with the sound card, has the fast engine whine, which is not heard on the real one.

Jim

Jimbo

Been doing some checking around and the Shockwae system might work. I have sent them detailed questions and will let you now what the have to say.

Jim

Jimbo

I received two responses from Shockwave. They are very willing to work with you on the sound you want. Their system works of an SD card and they will put any sound on it I send them. I think this just might be the one to go with.

Jim

Jimbo

My 450 will take two, 2" speakers just fine, which would carry the deeper tones, that the Huey needs, instead of transducers. On this video, skip ahead to about 8:32 and you will see it fly. He admits at the end, that it was too fast, but at half throttle it was perfect. The folks at Shockwave, said they can set it up, so the throttle is not involved and the sound rpm can be set wherever I want it and they wil put any sound recording I want on the SD card. Gentlemen, I think that this is the one.

Jim

holtneil

Hi Jim sounds good mate I think they do a Cobra sound track the only problem I will have is getting speakers to fit it's very tight in the cobra body the only space at the front the battery takes up

Jimbo

Neil, this works with speakers or transducers. When I get it I'll try with both and send you a clip. You can get the small transducers in your Cobra.

Jim

Jimbo

yes it was and that was with two, 2" speakers. One might be enough. I had another talk with the owner, outlining exactly what I what it to do and how. He said it would be no problem, so will place my order.

Jimbo

Placed my order on Sunday (yesterday) afternoon. Got a sample of the sound bite he made for me for approval this morning and the entire thing shipped to me this afternoon. These folks believe in customer service.

Jim

Top Bottom