450 Mini Titan driving me nuts...

zambeezi

Hi.

Trying to get zero pitch on my FBL Titan so I can finish setting up the 3GX but for the life of me I can't get the damn blades at zero pitch without ending up with links so short the swash won't move. Since the links on the bladegrips are on the leading egde it gets a bit confusing. The swash has to move down for positive pitch and up for negative pitch. I've got all the servos moving in the right direction but at full throttle I get negative pitch and at low I get positive and I am unable to get anywhere near zero at mid stick. I hope it's because I'm tired...

There's not a lot of Titan support on any of the other heli forums and even less for FBL Titans. Links between servos and swash are the lenght as mentioned in the manual and my swash is level at low, mid and high stick. There are no set lenght (that I could find) for the links between swash and bladegrips. There's a dude on rc universe that did a custom FBL head for his Titan and his link lenghts are 50mm so that's what I was going by. That post is a couple of years old though (no more support). I bought the TT conversion kit and the instructions is non-existant.

I love my Titan but it's times like this that I can smash it with a hammer and go and buy a Trex... Might not be such a bad idea since it's a pain to get Titan spares these days. I know I only recently got back into the hobby but Titan support/spares have never been great.

Back on topic though - HELP!

Lee

What I would do, is adjust the servo to swash links, so as the swash is in the middle of the main shaft.
So half way between the head block and the frame.
Then adjust the higher links, to get the blade pitch right.
I don't think you can be far off with that method.

heli-maniac

Your blade grips cant be leading edge if your getting neg pitch when the swash goes up
the blades are backwards or the blade grips are trailing edge
on My mini t the links were by the book and were right one

zambeezi

Is your Titan FBL? If so what head did you use and what's your links lenghts?

Blades are correct, bladegrips are per manual for the conversion kit and swash links and movement are correct...

Lke I said might have been to late but I check again.

Lee

So ignore the manual's lenghts?

You said it didn't come with any instructions. :)

Fastest way for us to get to the problem, is to post up some pics, or better still a video clip showing the head moving.

Leading edge control should def give you pos pitch when the swash goes up.

zambeezi

The original manual that came with the V1 kit. The conversion just came with a parts list and an image to show how to build. I do get + with swash moving up but it moves up at low stick (as per manual).

zambeezi

What threw me was that while my swash moves as intended it's wrong for the FBL head. On the flybar head you have the see-saw, etc. that adds an extra pivot point and that will give + pitch with the swash at the bottom and vice versa. I also found the link lenght in the V2 FBL kit manual. N0t sure why I did not think of that earlier...

Anyway, I am cracking on with the setup and report as I go. I'll reverse the swash mix to give + at full stick and - at low stick.

Thank you for all the input.

It's great to be part of such an active and helpfull community!!!

zambeezi

At the moment I'll be throwing it.

After completing the setup (great videos by the way, thank you) and everything is perfect. Only problem now is when I fire up my tx and plug in the heli my pitch servo does not center, all the others does. Gone through setup again with everything working like they should - same thing pitch servo does not center on start up...

zambeezi

Think my receiver is busted!

Tried 10 times... Receiver light flashes and servos are centered. Receiver light stays solid and pitch servo goes all mental.

Using a Spektrum AR6100e.

If I use another receiver do I go through all the setup again or can I just bind the new receiver?

- - - Updated - - -

MAde a quick video but it looks like I need to upload it to Youtube first.

Got lucky that it happened both correct and then followed by wrong. It actually looks like all the servos go nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

It actually looks like all the servos go nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
The video is set to private.

And you should be able to just install the new rx but triple check everything.

Lee

Yep that looks like either a problem with the RX, or that servo in the video.
Is it only that servo that doesn't return to centre?

zambeezi

I'd say about 30% of the time the servos (all three) play up. I'm now having issues with my receivers binding and unbinding randomly.

I am SO frustrated now I might end up throwing everything in the trash. I need to troubleshoot my tx and rx's now.

zambeezi

Finally!

I found a spare AR6200 receiver in my spares box and that seems to be behaving.

Had a sketchy hover in the backyard. Really windy and not the best place for a "welcome back" hover either. I still need to do some tweaking on the 3GX but at least it's a start.

Hopefully the wind will die down tonight and I'll be having a proper test.

Tony

Staff member
That is some great news. I would be connecting just servos to that other Rx and see if you can replicate that issue that way. But that is just me. I have to know why everything happens lol.

Congrats on getting it in the air!

Top Bottom