450 Mini titan 325 left side drifting issue.

Hi guys, I have a drifting problem on my mini titan. Every time I leave the sticks off, the heli tends to drift sideways to the left as I am tail in. I have precisely adjusted the swashplate (plastic stock one), all the set up has been done properly, I have added some weights on the flybar too, just to be a little more stable in the breeze and have added some weight on the nose as the heli becomes with the ah1w fuselage with an elevated tail rotor and even with the battery on, the tail is heavier than the nose. So I have balanced it. I can understand that if you are hands off the sticks,every helicopter tends to drift. On the other hand, I know that it is possible for a heli to stays super stable in the air up to 15 seconds without a stick input. My main shaft is ok, I am not 100% sure that the tail rotor shaft is precisely vertical to the level of the tail boom. Before I started to make all the set up by myself, after a crash someone changed the tail boom for me. And I don't know if it was used or not. I have in stock two new sets of tail boom assembly though. At the moment even though the swashplate is accurately leveled to all of the pitch range, I am forced to put some units of subtrim. The aileron servo downwards and the pitch servo upwards. In this case though the proper set up of the swashplate changes, the drifting issue to the left somehow is corrected. But this is not the case. The swash has to be perfectly levelled. Any ideas of what might cause this left drifting would be appreciated. And one last thing is that the stock plastic swash has a little bit of play..

Smoggie

It's natural for a heli to tend to drift left (for clockwise rotation main rotor). This is because of the tail rotor which pushes the heli sideways. To counteract this and achieve a static hover you have to slightly lean the heli to the right. The technical tame for this is 'Translating tenancy':

Note that the heli in the video has an anti-clockwise rotor so the drift is to the right rather than the left.

Thanks a lot smoggie, maybe this is the case, I will change the tail boom with a new one and see if I can tilt the instrum rotor slightly to the right as the heli is tail in. At the moment I have the impression that the instrum is tilted slightly to the left. The opposite than it should be. That's why I have written above that I'm not sure if the tail rotor shaft is vertical to the line of the boom.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, any helicopter that has a clockwise rotating head will drift to the left on take off due to the forces of the tail rotor. This is completely normal.

Top Bottom