FBL Gyro Microbeast Plus

Matt

So I’ve gotten everything rebuilt. I replaced just about everything. One issue I am having now is the main gear. It doesn’t seem to be flat. It’s round but not flat. When I spin the main gear there seem to be highs and lows. At some points the top of the main gear is level with the top of the pinion gear. At other points it is higher than the pinion gear. I’m not sure if this is normal, as I’ve never noticed this before. It is a brand new main gear that I ordered from eBay last week. Should it be flat and at every point on the main gear should the pinion gear be the same height?

Tony

Staff member
It's going to depend on what helicopter you are working on. If you are working on a Goblin, then you just need to replace the gear. If you are working on Align, in most cases you can "coax" the gear to be flat. And as far as I can tell, None of the gears are perfectly round so you need to check gear mesh at different places on the gear. I check each cog of the motor just to be safe.

Matt

How many of the settings on the Microbeast do I need to go through? Is it just the solid light settings or do I need to go through the other settings too?

Tony

Staff member
If you are changing the setup, then you need to go through all menu items and set them to your setup.

Matt

So I’ve just gone through the rudder endpoints. I moved the rudder stick all the way, left and right. When I go back to normal mode in the Microbeast the rudder only move a little left and right. I’m not getting the expected rudder servo travel

Tony

Staff member
Did you set your gyro gain? If you are at 0 on the rudder gain, then it will not move much. You definitely have to setup the gain in order to get full deflection.

Matt

I’ve set my gyro gain to -100%. I’m still getting little travel on my rudder servo. When I move the rudder stick right I would expect the rudder to move all the way right but it’s only moving a little bit. Does it have anything to do with the other parameters on the flashing quickly menu? Like the control style? If I set it to extreme would I get more servo throw or TX mode would I get more servo travel on the rudder?

Tony

Staff member
When you did the setup in the gyro, did you wait for the light to flash and change color after each stop?

Matt

I did. I moved the rudder all the way to the right and waited for the light to stop, then moved the rudder all the way to the left and waited for the light to stop. When I go back into the normal mode of the Microbeast the rudder doesn’t move much, left or right. I would expect when I move the stick to the left the rudder would move more. It’s not quite moving to what I would expect to be the full movement

Tony

Staff member
If the tail has 3/4 of the movement, then I would just toss it in the air and see what it does. Make sure to set it to HH first though.

Matt

There is still a vibration in my heli. Is it possible the torque tube is bent? The thing that drives the rudder gears and runs the length of the tail boom?

Tony

Staff member
It is unlikely that the TT shaft is causing a vibration. If it is a vibration when just spooling up, but goes away when you get to your preferred head speed, then that is completely normal and nothing to worry about. But if it is a constant shake, then double and triple check your main shaft, feathering shaft, tail shaft, blade tracking, blade grips (front and rear), feathering shaft bolts, tail block that hold the blade grips and so on. Sometimes it is hard to find a vibration, but it is always worth looking into until you do find it.

Matt

I think I’m going to put the training gear on it just in case there is something but I need to try to fly it

Matt

So I’ve figured out the tail servo not getting enough throw. I had to move the ball link closer to the center of the servo arm. Hopefully now I’ll have enough throw to keep the heli from spinning

Matt

It was the gyro settings in the Tx. Also because I was using the 3gx I had set the gyro channel to inhibit. I set the gyro channel to GEAR and increased the gain to 46. The G light now comes on during initialization. I’ve got full throw of the tail servo.

murankar

Staff member
Few other things to check when you have vibrations.

In the head check the thrust bearings, if they are installed wrong it could have adverse effects. Same with the tail. Make sure the thrust bearings are correct. You won't see this on the bench. Not enough load to cause an issue. It will only be seen while flying.

Top Bottom